TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Caliper Covers?

Saw these tonight while hunting around for my next cheap thrill. What do you guys thing? Maybe if they looked a little more agressive, MAYBE they'd be ok? I dunno, I'm still pondering.

Plus:

- Various colors to match the body

- No need to paint caliper/take off pads, tape off, etc.

- Can be orderd with "Custom" engraving (how about your CSM# on your caliper covers???)

Cons:

- A "cover"

- A little pricey for what it is..

MGP

One of the things about colored calipers is that the coloring draws attention to them. The bottom line is that such attention makes your calipers appear smaller unless they are massive in size. The size of the caliper is the part you cannot fake -- they either look "right" or they do not. Personal choice in the end but most folks suggest leaving the stock ones alone. Spend the money on stopping power and the colored calipers come along with the deal.

Jim

It is like wearing a fake Rolex. Yes I had a fake one one time and could not stand it. So I trashed it, sold some stock and bought a real one. Now I really don't even wear the thing anymore except when we are on vacation.

So I say wait until you get the real thing, don;t put that "cheese" on the Shelby.

I'd be in if they didn't have the MGP logo or if they did have a Shelby logo to match my Shelby front Calipers.

SPP-hint, hint.

You can get the covers in bolts only or with your personal engraving. We have had other Shelby owners use their personalized license plates or nicknames. Covers come in sets of 4 or a pair for the rear. Covers on the rear gives a balanced look to the car when the big brakes are on the front.

Caliper paint kit is 20.00!

Caliper Paint vs Caliper Covers

Which is the most cost effective method?

Considerations to Paint

•Caliper paint kits ranges from $39.95 to $69.95, caliper paint services average $150

•Approximately 8 hr project 3 hrs to the touch, requires multiple coats (3 to 5) and best if you can leave the car on all four jack stands for 24 hrs.

•Tools needed: 4 jack stands, floor jack, lug wrench, wire brush, cleaning product, paint brush, masking tape, masking material

•Annual event

•Unattractive as the paint peels throughout the year

•The caliper is painted, but not designed to have an appealing look on a vehicle

Over a 4 year period:

Average DYI cost total: $200

Average DYI time needed: 32 hours

Average Paint Services Cost: $600

Powder coating your calipers is approx $240, this will require you to take the caliper off the car for delivery to the paint facility and the caliper will need to be completely gutted and cleaned.

Considerations for Covers

•One time purchase of $200

•Powder coated paint, tig welded, aerospace aluminum, built to last for years

•40 minute easy installation

•Tools needed: floor jack, lug wrench, 3/8 wrench

•Reduces brake dust, therefore continually reduces your cost of wheel cleaning supplies

•Increases style of car with a big brake look

•Easily removable for brake service

•Reduces heat on calipers which reduces brake fade

Over a 4 year period:

Total cost: $200

Total time needed: 40 minutes

Questions to consider

How much is your time worth?

What is your long term cost?

How important is it to you to have a better look for less money?

Haha, I have to agree with the overall "Cheese" effect. What was strange is that they got some SEMA awards this year.... Bad

Keep in mind that this product was not designed to replace big brakes, but a solution to painting your calipers. By nature of covering the caliper they do give a big brake look. Some Shelby's do not come with the big brakes and this is a good solution if you want to keep your OEM wheels, which most do not give you the space for a big brake kit.

MGP Caliper Covers are made in San Diego, California USA!

• Reduces Brake Dust

• Powder Coated Finish

• 6061-T6 Aerospace Aluminum

• Easy Installation and removal for brake jobs

• No tape, glue, paint or special tools required

• Patented Fastening System that uses stainless steel nut and locking washer with our special clip design

• Reduces brake caliper heat, reduces brake fade

Engineering Excellence

• TIG Welded

• High Speed Engraved Characters

• Hydraulically formed

• Easy Install, Approx 10 Minutes Per Wheel

• Factory Color Match Paint & Engraving Available

This is a good product overview and installation video

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=v0bmGrUSlDU

Brake Caliper Heat Reduction Field Test Video

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf3nnZTAXcg

I don't think that they are that bad of an idea. You got to applaud somebody for trying to come up with a better mouse trap and make it to market. It might not be for some, but it might catch on with others. Idea is solid and it looks like SEMA thought that also. But like with everything else, some will like it, others will not. The stock calipers are some of the most obvious, not so good looking parts of these cars. For those that do not need the additional braking for racing, etc, might find these a much cheaper alternative. I say go for it if you want.

It is like wearing a fake Rolex. Yes I had a fake one one time and could not stand it. So I trashed it, sold some stock and bought a real one. Now I really don't even wear the thing anymore except when we are on vacation.

So I say wait until you get the real thing, don;t put that "cheese" on the Shelby.

come on guys, dont be too critical....after all, we have "fake" hood scoops. at least these caliper covers look better than our scoops... and they dont warp. :hysterical:

if i could, i'd remove my scoop, but i would have holes left in my hood. and i cant afford another hood....hmm i wonder if i could remove it and then fasten bolts in the holes with rounded heads painted silver to match the stripes :idea:

my scoop looks like a cartoon. but i'm not replacing it even with the new fiberglass redesigned one.

ok now i'm probably turning this into another scoop thread :banghead:

Keep in mind that this product was not designed to replace big brakes, but a solution to painting your calipers. By nature of covering the caliper they do give a big brake look. Some Shelby's do not come with the big brakes and this is a good solution if you want to keep your OEM wheels, which most do not give you the space for a big brake kit.

MGP Caliper Covers are made in San Diego, California USA!

• Reduces Brake Dust

• Powder Coated Finish

• 6061-T6 Aerospace Aluminum

• Easy Installation and removal for brake jobs

• No tape, glue, paint or special tools required

• Patented Fastening System that uses stainless steel nut and locking washer with our special clip design

• Reduces brake caliper heat, reduces brake fade

Engineering Excellence

• TIG Welded

• High Speed Engraved Characters

• Hydraulically formed

• Easy Install, Approx 10 Minutes Per Wheel

• Factory Color Match Paint & Engraving Available

This is a good product overview and installation video

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=v0bmGrUSlDU

Brake Caliper Heat Reduction Field Test Video

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf3nnZTAXcg

...and we respect that, but we are a performance group. We take our cars to the track and beat the crap out of them or at least I do. So in other words if they don't perform as good as they look, then it's not worth putting it on to make it look like we have something we don't.

Shut up I know about the hood scoops :rolleyes:

Spend the money on stopping power and the colored calipers come along with the deal.

Jim

I would love to have a set of AP Racing brakes like Jim has on his sweet SGT, definitely the real deal and colored to boot.

Lg

+1.......too bad they dont accept stock wheels

Hey - SOMETHING has to give ya know :) They do work with stock GT500 wheels though (and MANY other wheels) :)

BTW - dont know if you have ever seen these caliper covers or not - but they had a booth at my car clubs car show in September. They were a big attraction for many. They are well built and look good actually. Not for everyone for sure - but they do provide an option for cleaning up the looks of the OEM calipers.

Page

Archived