TEAM SHELBY FORUM

NEW GT500

Dodger

Hello all....as all of you...I'm a HUGE Mustang fan...I owned a 2006 Mustang GT...and I loved it. I still love it to this day...but something happened on this very day. I talked to the Frod dealership in VA (where I bought the GT from) and am soon going to be the owner of a 2009 Shelby GT500. I am very excited. This is the only thing that sucks though...I am stationed in Yokosuka, Japan until Feb 2010. I have a family who will be keeping the car for me...but I get to go home in March and drive it...I am so thrilled. So...ya'll have to give me the ups and the downs to the vehicle...thanks again....GREAT site.

Congratulations and thank you for your service! You will love the car. First thing you'll want to consider is to look through the threads about wheel hop. Some new control arms will take care of it. Otherwise spend a lot of time on the site. There's a ton of great information and a bunch of great people.

Merry Christmas!

Hello all....as all of you...I'm a HUGE Mustang fan...I owned a 2006 Mustang GT...and I loved it. I still love it to this day...but something happened on this very day. I talked to the Frod dealership in VA (where I bought the GT from) and am soon going to be the owner of a 2009 Shelby GT500. I am very excited. This is the only thing that sucks though...I am stationed in Yokosuka, Japan until Feb 2010. I have a family who will be keeping the car for me...but I get to go home in March and drive it...I am so thrilled. So...ya'll have to give me the ups and the downs to the vehicle...thanks again....GREAT site.

Congratulations!

I think you will really love that car, the only drawback I can think of is that you will always want to drive it!

The hardest part for sure is the wait you will have to go through.

Make sure to post a picture or 2 when you get a chance.

In stock form it is an amazingly quiet and powerful vehicle with almost a luxury ride feel to it.

Inside the car all you can really hear is blower whine, even when going through the gears.

Best performance results from "driving" the car the car off the line, but after that with a good traction surface, it is pedal to the metal.

For the first little while, it is probably best to just get into it from 2nd gear and up in wide open spaces, at least until you get a really good feel for the car.

You really have to be conscious of road/traction conditions at all times too.

Poor surfaces, bumps, railroad tracks etc. can cause severe traction loss instantly even under part throttle conditions.

**MAKE NO MISTAKE, these cars can get away from you if you are not careful or used to them.**

They take a bit of getting used to, at least for me.

My old tubbed 600+ HP car used to just break the tires loose and the back end would float around.

These cars have more of a tendency to push the front end around, lots of torque steer and body twisting you can really feel.

It feels like the front end is dancing around, and makes for an exciting ride.

The steering ratio is extremely fast compared to older muscle cars, you really have to be careful to not over steer when the car starts to move around on you.

They come with a half decent shifter, power shifting is pretty easy for me even with the stock shifter, but I imagine the aftermarket Shelby shifter would make it even better.

The car can move from side to side a fair bit, when shifting and depending on road conditions, you need a bit a space on each side of you to be safe.

They also come with pretty decent brakes, it is amazing how fast they can slow down or stop with little effort.

I hope this helps somewhat, but I suspect it may just make you more anxious!

Congratulations Again and Happy Holidays to You and Your Family!

Congratulations on the new car and WELCOME to Team Shelby. Considering you'll only be on leave for less than 30 days I recommend you just enjoy your time with the car and friends and family. You can use the next year to read over the tons of material on this website and take a measured approach to mods when your tour is up.

The cars are awesome even in stock form.

Archived