TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brand New 1986 SVO Mustang On Ebay

ADM's for the 1984 SVO were also upsetting. The primo year was the competition 1985.5

Oh yeah. I forgot about that competition version. Not too many of those around I bet.

I looked at one back in 1984 but was still very happy with my 1983.5 GT with a real 302 motor and not that previous 255. I don't recall the dealer having a ADM but IIRC the SVO was several thousand more than a fully loaded GT which was one of its downfalls.

Still have a soft spot for the SVO especially the flush headlight models.

Steve

The wiring products used in those days were not very good and much of the insulating jackets on the wiring is now brittle, cracked and sometimes falls apart in your hand. The engine, brakes, and adjustable suspension were ahead of its time for an American made car. The sister Merkur cars shared many of the same drive train components.

My childhood friend had one of the SVOs. In 1985, a year after we graduated high school, we drove from Marble Falls to Lago Vista, TX on Hwy 1431 thru the winding hill country in about 20 minutes going up to 90mph in his SVO (roller coaster ride). He straighted out all the curves in that car. That trip was normally a 45 minute drive. Sadly, a few months later his roommate was killed on that same road in that same car.

I would love to have an SVO and restore it. That turbo screams.

Wow, seeing that is like going for a trip in a time machine!

Some other info...

"The SVO's performance was excellent - 0-60 in 7.7 seconds and mid-high 15s in the quarter mile through the standard Hurst-shifted 5-speed manual transmission, heavy-duty clutch and 3.45 geared Traction-Loc axle. The SVO also ran with the V-8 GT on the top end - with both cars running solidly into the 130s, all out. "

More here...

http://www.motorists.org/ericpeters/octobe...86-mustang-svo/

Some other info...

The SVO's performance was excellent - 0-60 in 7.7 seconds and mid-high 15s in the quarter mile

Until some owners starting building bleeder valves for the boost controller. Then just like today, traction became an issue.

Hmm, we have Dodge Shelby guy that collects SVO's as well. In fact he built a custom house AROUND his car collection, he told me there is a car in every room except the kitchen and the bathroom. When I asked him what car he uses as his daily driver, he told me he rides his bicycle to work :headscratch: I think his collection has the last SVO of each year produced, all with less than 100 miles and no dealer prep, so I don't think this is one of his. You ever talk to Gerry before Steve? A little out there but an interesting dude.

Alan

Archived