TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Play movies on the ford nav system?

Teks post made me think of something. The Ford Navigation Radios are made by Pioneer and I think the current retail Pioneer units do play DVD's so it sounds like something that Ford has them disable on the OEM units.

Steve

Probably right Steve...my wife has a 2009 Sonata, and it can play DVD's on the Nav screen, but you have to be parked...the minute you engage the transmission, it cuts it off...Mainly to prevent the driver from viewing the DVD screen while driving...It's pretty much a law in all states that the screen can not be visible to the driver while driving...

Probably right Steve...my wife has a 2009 Sonata, and it can play DVD's on the Nav screen, but you have to be parked...the minute you engage the transmission, it cuts it off...Mainly to prevent the driver from viewing the DVD screen while driving...It's pretty much a law in all states that the screen can not be visible to the driver while driving...

I'm sure there's a hack for that out there.

On the Ford units its the parking brake that keeps you from using the GPS system while driving so the common hack is to fool the Navigation unit that the parking brake is on when its really not.

Steve

That's not the case with my 07 Nav unit. As long as the car is at a complete stop the all the Nav unit features can be accessed. No idea if this changed in 08 but as long as I am stopped, for example at a stop light, everything is active. As soon as I start moving they are disabled. The parking break has no effect.

That's not the case with my 07 Nav unit. As long as the car is at a complete stop the all the Nav unit features can be accessed. No idea if this changed in 08 but as long as I am stopped, for example at a stop light, everything is active. As soon as I start moving they are disabled. The parking break has no effect.

That's exactly how our Fusion with nav works too. Parking brake doesn't have anything to do with it in our car.

This is the case with my 07 as well.

The navigation system uses a connection to the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) to determine whether or not the vehicle is moving. By installing a small switch that can disable this connection, you can trick the navigation system into thinking the vehicle isn't moving, I will find pictures for you, Rick

• 2 months later...

I know where I can get a new factory nav system for my 08 SGT for $350 I am curious how easy is it to install in place of my 500 shaker system, is it plug and play? Will the sound qualtity be the same or will it be worse with the nav system? is it better to just buy a pioneer unit?

I saw a post on this in the last week but I can't find it in the search field.

I know where I can get a new factory nav system for my 08 SGT for $350 I am curious how easy is it to install in place of my 500 shaker system, is it plug and play? Will the sound qualtity be the same or will it be worse with the nav system? is it better to just buy a pioneer unit?

The stereo works the same as the Shaker 500 on the Nav system. I would think that you would be able to plug and play, why not call a dealer service department that is good.

$350 is a deal. Mine was a $2000 add from Ford.

Read this 20 page thread and save your money!

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=450875

Read this 20 page thread and save your money!

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=450875

Thanks alot that is some very valuable info. That is the same site I found the Nav system for sale on. So far I am on page 4 and not patient enough to read all 20 pages so I skipped to the last page and still not too sure if this is a good idea, it sounds like I will get several error messages, which is probably no big deal. I guess it wont play DVD's maybe an aftermarket one is better but I really dont want to spend more than $350 to $500

Thanks Jeff I appeciate your help

While the Nav system uses a DVD drive I do not believe it has an MPEG decoder.

This is an expensive but interesting alternative which leads me to believe that's the case.

DVD on the screen:

https://0172727.netsolstores.com/index.asp?...D&ProdID=77

The link does not work for me. Im going to check out crutchfield

The link does not work for me. Im going to check out crutchfield

try:

http://www.navtool.com

They sell these boxes that attach to factory nav systems and allow for playing of DVD's. The price is $600 which is sort of crazy when you consider you still need to have a DVD player! uh? :headscratch:

Since the Factory Nav is either missing, or has disabled, any MPEG decoder it seems rather wacky to spend another $600 to connect a $99 DVD player when you can just buy a $250 portable DVD player and do the same thing! You can use a $9 mini 8mm cable and pump the audio through the sound system so I don't get it? :headscratch:

Maybe it's me!

:lurk:

Thanks alot that is some very valuable info. That is the same site I found the Nav system for sale on. So far I am on page 4 and not patient enough to read all 20 pages so I skipped to the last page and still not too sure if this is a good idea, it sounds like I will get several error messages, which is probably no big deal. I guess it wont play DVD's maybe an aftermarket one is better but I really dont want to spend more than $350 to $500

Thanks Jeff I appeciate your help

I think you're better off with an aftermarket DVD setup that's made to to be added later. I don't know what Ford is doing that makes it so difficult for these to work right but two years after I started reading that thread no one has come up with a working fix no matter what the sellers tell you.

Good luck!

Archived