TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Master Cylinder Reservoir

I hate the plastic master cylinder reservoir !

web.jpg

I ordered a replacement today (to use as a model) and am looking to see if anyone knows of a company who can make me an aluminum replacement. I have looked and looked and can't find one already made out there.

I tried going down the route of a Wilwood (complete master cylinder) and theirs would not fit without major modifications.

If you got any suggestions please let me know !

Thanks,

Andrew Nagle

I had seriously considered buying one from parts and getting some plastic spray paint and either painting it black or silver. Not sure if a little sanding and some primer then paint would hold but if it did I think it would sure look better than the white plastic.

Grabber! You're handy with projects like this, what are your thoughts?

There is a reason the reservoir is made out of opaque white plastic. Its so you can see the fluid level without removing the cap and letting moisture into the brake system.

I agree its not pretty but it does have its purpose.

Steve

Well, then aluminum foil it is! Easy on....easy off!

:happy feet:

:idea: Before you paint the reservoir run a thin strip of painter tape down the side. After you paint it remove the the tape and you'll have a small window to see fluid level..

Great idea and people can paint it any color they like. Black, silver, chrome all sound good but please stay away from the F'n'F look.

Steve

I had seriously considered buying one from parts and getting some plastic spray paint and either painting it black or silver. Not sure if a little sanding and some primer then paint would hold but if it did I think it would sure look better than the white plastic.

Grabber! You're handy with projects like this, what are your thoughts?

Hey Jeff, I have bought from Homedepot a plastic spray paint made by Krylon to paint some plastic parts on my daughters playhouse no sanding required and its been out in the weather with no fade or peeling.

Hey Jeff, I have bought from Homedepot a plastic spray paint made by Krylon to paint some plastic parts on my daughters playhouse no sanding required and its been out in the weather with no fade or peeling.

Good to know!

I think black with a strip down the center to view level would be a nice touch!

Hey Jeff, try this...makes anything look like Chrome plating...

http://www.alsacorp.com/

I just ordered their Killer Cans Chrome kit along with the Pla-Stick (plastic adhesion promoter)

A new plastic reservoir is on the way along with a new P/S pump hopefully we can get these chromed and see how they look.

I will share the experience along with pictures.

Carl, thanks for the idea and link.

Take Care,

Andrew

I just ordered their Killer Cans Chrome kit along with the Pla-Stick (plastic adhesion promoter)

A new plastic reservoir is on the way along with a new P/S pump hopefully we can get these chromed and see how they look.

I will share the experience along with pictures.

Carl, thanks for the idea and link.

Take Care,

Andrew

Looking forward to seeing pics and finding out how it all turns out...I've seen this company advertised on Speed channel and it looked awesome then, hope it turns out to really be true...

If you plan to paint the master cylinder, you'll have to be awful careful to keep it free of brake fluid. Unless things have changed over the years, brake fluid and paint don't get along well at all!

• 6 months later...
So much for painting it.....I went with the Moroso cover and am loving it !

By the way the new FRRP throttle body looks great as well !

Take Care

Andrew

I take it paint didn't work? Do you have a link to the Moroso part? Thanks

Hey guys I have a retraction of krylon plastic paint, I even used the plastic adhesion and it started to flake off. You know what happened next !! Yummy Thank god my daughter and my neighbors kids all under 2yrs didn't swallow any. My wife wrote them and gave them the can serial #'s and still waiting. I have paint numerous plastic parts with enamel paint no adhesion used then shot clear over it. My mirrors are painted with can paint the new nozzles are just like a spray gun. I just got my agent 47 sport mirrors and will spray them with the enamel paintand I also painted the front lower spoiler in the center with a canned enamel spray 3coats and 2 coats of clear and the clear wont peel or turn yellow. Its been on my car for over 6 months. Cheap and easy

Archived