TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front end bra??

We are taking our pride and joy 07 Shelby GT on the Mustangs Across America Tour in April 2009. We start in Vegas and end in Birmingham AL. As we live in Oregon, we will be putting aprox. 5400 miles on it. Thats a lot of miles without any protection from the inevitable rock chips. I have looked at every website I can think of to find one, but I am getting frustrated. :banghead: Does anybody out there have one installed? Where did you get it? What did you do about the hood pins? I thought we could just cut a couple of small holes. Got any pics? Any help would be really cool. Thanks in advance.

JnJ3891

We are taking our pride and joy 07 Shelby GT on the Mustangs Across America Tour in April 2009. We start in Vegas and end in Birmingham AL. As we live in Oregon, we will be putting aprox. 5400 miles on it. Thats a lot of miles without any protection from the inevitable rock chips. I have looked at every website I can think of to find one, but I am getting frustrated. :banghead: Does anybody out there have one installed? Where did you get it? What did you do about the hood pins? I thought we could just cut a couple of small holes. Got any pics? Any help would be really cool. Thanks in advance.

JnJ3891

You may not want to do this....BUT...I drove from Chicago to Detroit with Yellow painters tape covering the front end, the leading edge of the scoop, roof, and side scoops.

I even thought of painting it camo to match the 10 GT Spy photos.

5 hours highway driving later :shift: I pulled into Detroit, stopped at a Starbucks and in 5 min pulled the bug covered tape off and dropped it in a trash can. All $1.99 of it! :happy feet:

Just an alternative!

JnJ3891

Colgan Custom part # PR1474.1, Ford Mustang Shelby GT 2 piece, $171.14

Part # MC1474 Ford Mustang Shelby GT Mirror covers, $45.00

The front end bra had cutouts for the hood pins when I bought mine. However from what I understand, now the hood pin cutouts are just embossed for the customer to cut them out.

I bought mine to drive my Shelby home from Wayne Morris Ford in GA and then used it again to drive to a dyno day in NC. It's a great fit and I've never had any issues with it. Just be sure to warm it up in the sunlight before you put it on for the first time.

I used a good quality bra on a new car and I quickly found that dust particles get under those things and abrade the clear coat. To avoid that I needed to remove it (a real PITA) weekly, clean it and wax the nose of the car before putting it back on.

IMO the clear bra is a better product and we put it on the wife's Lexus. For my Shelby I decided to let the chips happen and when it gets to a point I can't stand it anymore I'll repaint the nose.

Thanks for the info Dig-It. Went to the site, and that is exactly what we were looking for.

I used to have an '88 White LX Special Service Coupe from the Oregon State Police. I had used a bra on it for several years, and learned very soon that all kinds of debris gets between the bra and the paint. It is very important to put a good coat of wax on the front end before installing, and KEEP IT CLEAN, imo.

Thanks for your help,

JnJ3891

You may not want to do this....BUT...I drove from Chicago to Detroit with Yellow painters tape covering the front end, the leading edge of the scoop, roof, and side scoops.

I even thought of painting it camo to match the 10 GT Spy photos.

5 hours highway driving later :shift: I pulled into Detroit, stopped at a Starbucks and in 5 min pulled the bug covered tape off and dropped it in a trash can. All $1.99 of it! :happy feet:

Just an alternative!

+1 on the painters tape. Easy, cheap, effective and no chance of getting rub marks in the paint.

I guess I could use the blue painter tape so it could be color matched... :D

LOL....

I really do keep a roll in my trunk detail pack for unexpected long drives or places with lots of bugs when I don't expect it. Takes minutes to throw on and comes right off. I've used it on early morning drives to a car show when the last thing I want to do is spend 30 min getting bugs off the front. A little detail spray and wipe and you're good as new!

I had a 33 Ford for awhile that I had a Bra for. Road grit would get into it where it went around the bottom of the fenders so check the bra often and clean it . Remember Bra's are not to be left on all the time. Paint has to breath.

JnJ3891

We are doing this trip too. I think there may be a few SGT's. Right now, I am leaning towards the tape idea as I am pretty scared of getting more damage FROM the bra than it would prevent. Since I want my car to look good, I am looking for an alternative using black tape of some sort.

We purchased the Colgan bra mentioned above for our 2008 SGT vert. Great product - no problem with scratches however we do have good coat of wax. Fit is excellent and seems to be very well made durable product. You will find that things do get behind the cover especially when driving speed on interstate. Mostly dead bugs.

TDS

We purchased the Colgan bra mentioned above for our 2008 SGT vert. Great product - no problem with scratches however we do have good coat of wax. Fit is excellent and seems to be very well made durable product. You will find that things do get behind the cover especially when driving speed on interstate. Mostly dead bugs.

TDS

Do you have any pics with the bra on? What about the hood pins?

Here is a pic someone took of my Shelby at the Terlingua event. It saved my paint :) Sand and dead bugs do collect under it on the front spoiler and in the corners of the top grill so it is deffinitely not to be left on all the time. I also have a clear bra on the car.

of_50_590_442.jpg

of_50_590_442.jpg

Hi, I do have pictures with bra on. Will post later. Our bra came without hood pin cut outs. However the location of the pins was stamped in the bra. No problem to cut out. Have had the bra for almost a year now and it has been well worth the money paid. Easy to take on and off.

TDS

Cool. Looking forward to seeing the pics. Signed up for the Mustangs Across America Tour last night, so i will need somthing. Looked at the shelby bra, and it has the CS logo imbossed in it.

JnJ3891

Where was it you looked at rhe Shelby Bra at. Would like to see it before I decide on which to get

Archived