TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Had your Scoop Replaced?

OK, I know there have been lots of posts complaining about the early stripes and scoop. However, I'm looking for some specific feedback from those that have actually had their stripes and scoop replaced with OEM Shelby parts under warranty.

My car went to my selling dealer last Monday for some warranty repairs... some Ford, some Shelby, and one item that was at their expense from an issue prior to delivery. One of the items was to replace the hood stripes and (at Shelby / Ford Performance Group's request) the hood scoop. One of my hood stripes was actually wrinkled (high enough up on the hood it was not a result of the scoop flexing), and the scoop has to be removed to replace the stripes.

Mine is a 2008, but was early enough in the production cycle (Ford production Sept 2007, SAI 11/07, I believe) that it still has the Urethane scoop. They later switched to a Fiberglas model scoop for the SGT's. Ford Performance Group indicated that anytime they are touching the stripes under warranty, they are also replacing the scoop with the newer model.

The dealer (their body-shop is doing most of the work, but they sub-contracted out the stripes to make sure they were done right the first time) got to the stripes mid-week and to the scoop on Friday. My contact called me on Friday morning and said they had spent about 3 hours so far trying to get the new scoop to match up with the holes from the old one. She said the scoops don't appear to be the exact same size / shape. In some of the pictures, the original seems to have a flattened / defined lip to serve as a flat attachment surface to the hood with the rivets, but the new one does not. Photos attached... the original scoop has the blue stripe on it still.

I've already held their feet to the fire on some of the other items they were to take care of (and they have), so they knew they weren't going to be able to drill new holes in the hood (new scoop seems to be larger) and get away with it (I'll check under the hood liner...especially now). They want to make sure it's done right... so do I. They are waiting to hear back from Ford on how to proceed... FPG was closed Friday due to "inclimate weather". I suggested they call and talk to a tech at SAI on Friday. They did, but were told that they were not allowed to talk with them to provide assistance without authorization from Ford first since it's a warranty issue. When they called FPG today, their primary contact there was out today.

Anyone else run across this problem? If so, what was your resolution?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

post-14757-1229984627_thumb.jpgpost-14757-1229984638_thumb.jpgpost-14757-1229984645_thumb.jpgpost-14757-1229984655_thumb.jpgpost-14757-1229984664_thumb.jpg[attac

hment=38268:MVC_010F.JPG]post-14757-1229984682_thumb.jpgpost-14757-1229984692_thumb.jpg

post-14757-1229984674_thumb.jpg

post-14757-1229984627_thumb.jpg

post-14757-1229984638_thumb.jpg

post-14757-1229984645_thumb.jpg

post-14757-1229984655_thumb.jpg

post-14757-1229984664_thumb.jpg

post-14757-1229984674_thumb.jpg

post-14757-1229984682_thumb.jpg

post-14757-1229984692_thumb.jpg

Had mine replaced, but was an early 07 that was bolted only. If I remember correctly, you could order

a scoop without the rivet holes, then mark the scoop using the holes in the hood for a match. I'm pretty

sure someone on the forum has 1st hand experience with this. BTW, before the scoop is attached for

good, make sure youre satisfied with the paint match to the stripes. Mine wasnt too good, & the issue

will have to be addressed when I pull the car out in the spring........Good Luck

My bigger concern and more problematic historically than the scoop is the stripes... they are 1" spaced in the middle ALL THE WAY DOWN the hood right?

Anyway... the solution is they drill new holes!

There is no issue with the hood or any damage. Just be sure they understand that the hood has two layers and in some spots they either need to be VERY careful the rivet doesn't pull through the second layer, or as I have outlined in "another" hood scoop thread you'll need to search for, they need to cut some small holes in the inner layer so they don't catch and pull the upper layer down into the inner layer causing a visible dip.

Again, there is no issue drilling new holes where needed mine looks great and after four other scoops looks great.

While I understand your desire to get your question answered this would have been better posted in the hood scoop thread and you might want to read though such threads before taking your car in as this particular issue has been discussed previously. It also helps future members looking for help and information with the facts and information in one place and not spread over hundreds of individual threads.

Good luck!

My scoop has the very slightest of dimple and really never paid any mind to it until I heard about it here. There are also 2 very minor stripe ripples if you will right at the scoop edge basically under it maybe 1/4in long. For now I'm just leaving it alone cause sooner or later there will be a rock chip somewhere or some minor flaw and I trust few if any dealers to mess with my car. I could see it sitting there for a week or two waiting to be fixed and all the time I could have been driving it. I'm pretty anal about things but this one really does not get at me enough for now to do anything. Wish I had the body work skills to just handle it myself and take the dealer and his body workers out of the equation. :happy feet:

my baby is going to o'meara collision center in denver mid-january to have the hood scoop and stripes replaced. i talked to dale, the shop manager, about your concern (which quickly became my concern!) and he said he's replaced three so far and they all came without the holes. can you re-order yours without the holes????

Mine came with the holes. It's really not a big deal either way. It's more important the skill and care of the installer.

-Jeff

my baby is going to o'meara collision center in denver mid-january to have the hood scoop and stripes replaced. i talked to dale, the shop manager, about your concern (which quickly became my concern!) and he said he's replaced three so far and they all came without the holes. can you re-order yours without the holes????

Mo -

The replacement scoop came without holes. It was the hood that required drilling 25 new holes. The reason is that the old scoop was somewhat flexible and (and according to John at the Ford Performance Group - Ford's Shelby Warranty Support) the techs as SAI placed pressure on the top of the original scoop to hold it on place when drilling through the holes (already in place) in the urethane scoop into the hood. Since the pressure was not always uniform, it allowed varying spacing of the holes outward from the center line of the stripes & scoop. The variation on cars is probably less than 1/8 of an inch, but enough they didn't always match up with the existing holes... some may get lucky. However, that's why they send the new fiberglass scoops without holes... to allow the shop to drill new ones to best fit the situation with the individual car. The fiberglass scoop does not flex like the urethane one during install. In most cases, this will result in 25 new holes in your hood. The old holes are the interior (and not visible once installed) of the outside edge of the new scoop since the new scoop is only very slightly wider and longer (most likely because of this need for re-drilling). The hood is aluminum, as are the rivets, but as I was concerned about corrosion (although aluminum doesn't rust, it can corrode) my dealer treated the old holes with an anti-corrosive sealant.

My car was finished this afternoon, but I haven't seen it yet. I'm heading over to the dealer to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. My contact at the dealer body shop tells me it looks fantastic. They also took care of several other items on the car and were going to give it a complete detail for me as well (no charge). I'll try to get some pictures up in the next few days.

Best of luck with your repairs!

Thanks,

Matt

Archived