TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TSB Clutch Woes on 08 GT500

dhouston

Happy Holidays, all.

Well....I now have a TSB Clutch saga to tell on my '08 Shelby GT500.

In October, I went to my local dealer in Atlanta asking for the TSB Clutch repair due to clutch slipping. They ordered parts. Said all was in. So, I took my car in early November. Was there 1 day and said they didnt have everything. So, I picked it up as not to have it sit there. Got a call back in early December, said all the parts were were in and for me to drop it back off. I left it on 12/15, Monday.

The Service Advisor said 2-3 days tops and would have it back to me. Kept getting calls saying still working on it and then the dreaded call came on TH 12/18.....' Your car needs a Syncronizer Gear replaced in the transmission. We have it on order and should be here tomorrow.'

I knew I was in trouble at that point as I had heard about the back order of this part. The Advisor kept calling everyday saying the part is being tracked, but not arrived. He then called Saturday and said it is on backorder status !!!

My car has the transmission out, up on a rack and sitting at the dealer. They are saying that it will not be until January 7th before the Syncro gear is available. So my car may sit for over a month at the Dealership.

Anyone have any advice ? Can I call Ford Customer Service and issue a complaint? Is there a Phone # I can call Ford to ask about the part availability ? Or do I just need to be patient and wait it out ?

Kind of sucks that such a great car is sitting during the holidays when I could really use it. Also, my car doesnt have a scratch on it.....sitting at the dealer for this long is really a concern. Hate to complain as I feel very fortunate to own such a great car and realize my blessings. But wonder if there is anything I can do to expedite this part ?

As always, input is greatly appreciated.

Dave

Dave - Did you notice anything else besides the clutch slipping? Recently, on a cold start and backing out of my garage, I have had trouble getting into reverse (grinding). Any thoughts? Thanks - Paul

Hi Paul - I had no issues on getting the car into any gear or reverse. Simply had alot of the clutch shudder and slipping symptoms. I know others have had grinding in gears, so may need to get their input.

By the way, I did call the 1-866 line mentioned. It goes to a voice mail. Once I hear back from Ford, I will let you guys know what they say.

Thank you for the input.

Ya I talked to my dealer and they said that some parts aren't available until January so I haven't taken my car in to have work done. I will not take my car in unless they have all the parts and tools to do the job.

Yea, I was the same way. I didnt want to take it in unless they had everything in. I was told they did have the parts. I asked all the questions and went through the TSB list, but the Syncronizer gear wasnt on it. Now it is torn down and nothing I can do but wait.

I do have the call placed with Ford Customer Service, so we'll see if they can help. Will post back on what they say about the situation.

When my dealer did the TSB work the first time, I had grinding in gear when coasting. They attributed it to the synchros, which were replaced as part of the TSB. My service manager informed me that the only way they could get the synchros was by re-ordering a portion of the TSB kit (specifically, the "KIT - REP," with part no. 7R3Z 7C391A, and a cost of $1209.80) - they couldn't get the synchros by themselves!

My guess is there's a shortage of these parts as dealerships across the country have more and more GT500 owners coming in for the TSB work.

Good luck - let me know how the work goes!

My guess is there's a shortage of these parts as dealerships across the country have more and more GT500 owners coming in for the TSB work.

That's what my service advisor told me - the tranny parts are on national shortage and Ford was not prepared for the number of owners requesting the TSB work.

When my dealer did the TSB work the first time, I had grinding in gear when coasting. They attributed it to the synchros, which were replaced as part of the TSB. My service manager informed me that the only way they could get the synchros was by re-ordering a portion of the TSB kit (specifically, the "KIT - REP," with part no. 7R3Z 7C391A, and a cost of $1209.80) - they couldn't get the synchros by themselves!

Good luck - let me know how the work goes!

Thanks for the insight....I will get with my dealer today to see if they can order the part number you listed.

Glad yours is back on the road.

Archived