TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Alcoa Shelby Forged rims

ckedd

Use 3M double adhesive heavy duty tape. Home Depot in the paint department. Clean well before install.

My guys use the tape as well, but they have "chrome" like tape so it at least matches to a degree and looks rather finished on install.

FP

• 2 weeks later...
Can you tell me more about the chrome tape?

Thanks

Not this is chrome tape that goes on top of the stick on weights (sort of like HVAC tape they use on the corners of heating ducts, shiny mirror like finish),

We used it on the track car wheels to keep them from coming off under abuse, but now he uses it on all stick on weights for the reasons you are experiencing. I will ask my setup guy if he can give me the brand, and post, give me a day or two to catch up with him, I have never had a weight come off on any of the cars when the tape is applied over the top of the weights.

FP

Just shot a pic of an old race wheel (please ignore years of imbedded Brake dust on the rim), but it shows what we use to keep those puppies on...

post-9759-1231468342_thumb.jpg

YES +1

this is the "real" HVAC duct tape. It is a alluminum foil tape. Hold weights VERY well in high heat racing applications

Not this is chrome tape that goes on top of the stick on weights (sort of like HVAC tape they use on the corners of heating ducts, shiny mirror like finish),

We used it on the track car wheels to keep them from coming off under abuse, but now he uses it on all stick on weights for the reasons you are experiencing. I will ask my setup guy if he can give me the brand, and post, give me a day or two to catch up with him, I have never had a weight come off on any of the cars when the tape is applied over the top of the weights.

FP

Just shot a pic of an old race wheel (please ignore years of imbedded Brake dust on the rim), but it shows what we use to keep those puppies on...

YES +1

this is the "real" HVAC duct tape. It is a alluminum foil tape. Hold weights VERY well in high heat racing applications

I had the same problem with the weights on my Super Snake. I now use Nashua foil tape. It looks like chrome, sticks well and looks finished. Weights no longer come off

I had the same problem with the weights on my Super Snake. I now use Nashua foil tape. It looks like chrome, sticks well and looks finished. Weights no longer come off

Just like we used on the fighters in the Navy....1K mph tape it is aluminum tape with an extremly strong bond on it will stay no matter how hard you drive it.

No this is not chrome tape!! that goes on top of the stick on weights (sort of like HVAC tape they use on the corners of heating ducts, shiny mirror like Hey you are using aluminuim tape not chrome that install is perfectly installe ...just like my kids gokart rims are balanced on the inside and covered with the aluminuim tape. :superhero:

If you are going use the 3M VHB (Very High Bond) or other two sided tapes, make sure that you clean the bonding surfaces with a 1 to 1 mixture of rubbing alcohol and water. That is what 3M recomends for everything from body mouldings and high stress applications.

Archived