TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TIRE CHOICES

03reptile

I live in Md. and enjoy driving the GT500 during the winter when weather permits. My complaint is the factory formula ones have poor adhesion once the temprature falls below about 65 degrees. I know they are "summer tires" and don't do well in cold tempratures. My question. Can anyone recommend a good all weather tire for the Shelby that will perform well in colder tempratures? At present, I'm unable to utilize the full power of the car due to the lack of adhesion. I have no intention of changing wheels or going to larger tires. I'd like to keep the stock wheels and tire size and simply switch over to a tire that is more compatable with the weather and temprature changes around here. Has anyone found one? Thanks in advance for your input and have a Merry Christmas!

I live in Md. and enjoy driving the GT500 during the winter when weather permits. My complaint is the factory formula ones have poor adhesion once the temprature falls below about 65 degrees. I know they are "summer tires" and don't do well in cold tempratures. My question. Can anyone recommend a good all weather tire for the Shelby that will perform well in colder tempratures? At present, I'm unable to utilize the full power of the car due to the lack of adhesion. I have no intention of changing wheels or going to larger tires. I'd like to keep the stock wheels and tire size and simply switch over to a tire that is more compatable with the weather and temprature changes around here. Has anyone found one? Thanks in advance for your input and have a Merry Christmas!

I've got a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar All-Season tires. I used 'em last winter and had no issue, both in the freezing temperatures and in snowy/icy conditions. Of course, I drove it a bit slower when there was snow or ice on the ground, but I'm sure if I didn't have those tires I'd be in serious trouble.

Given what a pain it is to change out tires on the stock rims without screwing up the TPMS bands, I'd recommend picking up a set of winter rims. You can get a tool to "train" the TPMS sensors for around $12. It'll save quite a bit of money rather than paying a dealership or tire shop to swap the tires every season.

I've got a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar All-Season tires. I used 'em last winter and had no issue, both in the freezing temperatures and in snowy/icy conditions. Of course, I drove it a bit slower when there was snow or ice on the ground, but I'm sure if I didn't have those tires I'd be in serious trouble.

Given what a pain it is to change out tires on the stock rims without screwing up the TPMS bands, I'd recommend picking up a set of winter rims. You can get a tool to "train" the TPMS sensors for around $12. It'll save quite a bit of money rather than paying a dealership or tire shop to swap the tires every season.

MadManMoon,

Thanks for the reply and input. I checked out the Eagle F-1 Supercar tires and tirerack has them designated as a summer tire. I searched all tireracks all-season tires and could find none that matched the size of our stock rear tires. I guess no manufacturers make an all-season tire in our rear tire size. Michlin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Perelli and Dunlop all make high performance all-season radials but I could find none in the 285/40R18 size. Guess I'll have to put up with the stock tires until the weather warms up.

MadManMoon,

Thanks for the reply and input. I checked out the Eagle F-1 Supercar tires and tirerack has them designated as a summer tire. I searched all tireracks all-season tires and could find none that matched the size of our stock rear tires. I guess no manufacturers make an all-season tire in our rear tire size. Michlin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Perelli and Dunlop all make high performance all-season radials but I could find none in the 285/40R18 size. Guess I'll have to put up with the stock tires until the weather warms up.

Have you looked at Nitto tires?

Have you looked at Nitto tires?

Yes, and my research showed there were no all-season tires available from Nitto that matched the 285/40 18's on the rear of the Shelby. Its looking like a dead end. I'm really surprised no manufacturer makes one that fits the rear of the Shelby. Its obviously a bastard size.

Archived