TEAM SHELBY FORUM

frpp hot rod cams

Hello, I am interested in installing the ford racing perf. parts hot rod cams in my 07 shelby gt. Does anyone in this forum have experience with these cams? I have received mixed responses as to whether I will need a retune or not. Ford claims you only need a tune to yield optimal gains; but others have claimed these cams make the car too difficult to keep idling without a tune. I should be inclined to believe ford racing, but would really like people first hand experiences. I apologize if this has been posted before, but I could not find a definitive answer regarding the tune. I greatly appreciate any and all help. Thanks

I initially installed these cams with out a tune and they ran OK. The idle was choppy and the cats stunk real bad at idle. There seemed to be somewhat of a power increase,

although not alot. I then went with a Bama tuned sct x-3. The car seemed to idle better with out as much stink from the cats and the engine revved smoother. I am guessing

that to get the most out of these cams, longtubes and a dyno tune would be needed. I am very happy with the way the car sounds and performs although there are a lot of

naysayers out there. Brenspeed is very much against the use of these cams and there is info on thier web site why that is. I have a hard time believing that ford would release

these to the public knowing that there were any adverse affects. Ford also installs these in one of their crate engines and in one of their offroad trucks. Any specific questions and I will be glad to help if possible.

abe

Thanks, I really appreciate the help! Was the idle prior to the tune bad enough to keep you from driving it? I wonder what frpp offers the purchasers to these crates as far as tuning? Do you have any idea how much power was yielded with the cam install alone? How much you gained after the tune? I just love the sound of these cams, but just changed my gear ratio and purchased a frpp procal tuner, and don't want to purchase another tuner already haha. Thank you again for your kind help!

The idle isnt that much different now as it was without the tune, the cats just dont stink as much. I drove it for about 3 weeks with the factory tune while waiting for my sct to

arrive. Even my wife drove it, and she never complained about anything. I never dyno'd before or after so I can't give a genuine number but it is enough to feel seat of the

pants. My wife didnt know that I had done anything to the car and when she drove it after cam installation, she said it felt like the car was faster and louder. (yeah, she told on

herself and how she drives my car). Ford sells a stand alone ecm and wiring harness for there crate engine with the hotrod cams. They say it is already programmed for the

engine.

abe

I called brenspeed about a cam yesterday. I was told that if i installed there cam then i would definately need a retune . I bought there custom tune about a year ago and i am very pleased with it. Brenspeed said they recommend the charge plates if i am going to install a cam. Was told i would get about 25 or 30hp with cam and charge plates. The question is ,is it worth it.I don't really want a s/c because the longevity issue but there is no doubt i could get much much more hp out of a s/c. Decisions-Decisions.

The frpp cams do not require the use of phaser limiters however some tuners, including Brenspeed, recommend using them. There is a chance of valve to piston issues if a

mechanical failure happens with the stock phasers. I'm not running phaser limiters right now but I will probably install them before installing my supercharger. Any ford dealer

should be able to install these cams but I don't know how it will affect warranty. I would imagine that if it is a good dealer and you get work done there that they would be willing to work with you.

The cams will void your engine warranty according to everything I have read. As of right now I will be installing my cams this weekend if no other interuptions happen and will have it tuned at that time.

A friend of mine recently had FRRP cams installed on his 05. After a new tune his dyno'd at 345 RWHP as soon as I get them installed and the dyno run I will post the numbers.

The cams will void your engine warranty according to everything I have read. As of right now I will be installing my cams this weekend if no other interuptions happen and will have it tuned at that time.

A friend of mine recently had FRRP cams installed on his 05. After a new tune his dyno'd at 345 RWHP as soon as I get them installed and the dyno run I will post the numbers.

Please post your numbers and when you do please let us know if their are any other mods or if the only addition is the FRPP Hot Rod Cams. Thank you.

At some point in the next few months I am sure I'll be purchasing cams and the charge motion delete plates. I have no idea if I will go with FRPP or the Comp cams no springs required stage 2 cam set. I would really like to see dyno numbers on both the FRPP and Comp cams and then decide. From what you guys said I guess I could get a tune from Brenspeed but I would probably be better off having the car dyno tuned after the installation right?

Archived