TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CAR STEREO EXPERTS HELP PLEASE

Ok, I have the 08 SGT with a Shaker 500. I want to add a Kenwood DVD receiver in there. Crutchfield has a unit and needs a dash kit (free) and wiring harness to adapt in to the system. Simple enough.

Went to best buy and they also have a unit and kit and wiring harness and the guy said they have to bypass the amps (meaning the door I guess) and that makes no sense to me.

Is changing / upgrading that complicated? Thanks

Ok, I have the 08 SGT with a Shaker 500. I want to add a Kenwood DVD receiver in there. Crutchfield has a unit and needs a dash kit (free) and wiring harness to adapt in to the system. Simple enough.

Went to best buy and they also have a unit and kit and wiring harness and the guy said they have to bypass the amps (meaning the door I guess) and that makes no sense to me.

Is changing / upgrading that complicated? Thanks

yes it is pretty complicated ive been down this whole road if you are going to change just the deck you can and the amps will still work if you are looking for a louder better sound you have to rip everything out and start from scratch $$$$$$$ i made the decision to put in from mtx the powered 12 inch form fitted sup in the trunck and it made a huge difference im actually still happy eith the sound and thats coming from someone who always had a custom system.

I went to Best Buy and had them install the Pioneer AVIC-D3 for me. They were able to plug into the Shaker500 amp for the main system speakers - the sound quality was actually better than the original head unit - even going through the stock speakers. I also had them wire in a 12" Alpine Type-R Sub with a 1000w amp for the trunk. I'm not sure why they were telling you that they needed to bypass the amp. . . . . . should be able to wire everything through the Shaker500 amp.

They may have to simply wire in an adapter of some kind to take the signal from the head unit's RCA style outputs and convert it into standard coaxial line in for the Shaker500 amp. I wasn't there personally to see this done, (couldn't stand the sight of my baby all torn apart in the install bay) However, the person that I spoke with also said that newer model vehicles actually have RCA inputs on the factory amps to resolve this very problem. I'm drawing a blank on whether or not the Mustang and the Shaker500 amp has RCA inputs.

The big thing with this is the 'Bypass' of the safety circuit which only allows watching video/changing of GPS directions while parked and with the emergency brake on. You can Bypass this circuit - it's a different process for each head unit. Best Buy won't do this for you, it's against their policy.

+1 on the other point. . . . . if you want to really go all out - pull everything out and start from scratch, get a good 4-channel amp and speakers to replace the factory stuff. And get a good sub/amp for the trunk and now you've got something.

I'm on the fence about having a custom trunk install done as I don't want it to be so permanent. I'm sure that the installer and I can come to some sort of common ground on the install and the fact that I'd like it to be somewhat removeable, so as to bring the trunk back to factory later. This will cost you some $$$$ and you'll get what you pay for too. Totally custom install could start at $1500 and go up from there depending on how elaborate you want it to be. And that's just labor/materials - doesn't include the I.C.E. (In Car Electronics) they are installing.

I hope this info helps. Keep us posted here about what you find out!

Trevor

Thanks Gary - I too have all this info - I've fiured out how to complete the 'Bypass' surgery. . . . . . . . I just can't bring myself to tear apart the interior, on my own, just to complete the bypass. I guess this will be a good project to work on while the car sits in the garage over the winter. I don't have to rush to get it done. I have all of the instructions saved to a MS Word document. I can e-mail them to you if you'd like. I actually think there's a newer model than the AVIC-D3 available now - but refuse to look as I don't want to be disappointed.

Otherwise - if you track down a member named "1965Coupe" - He has actually completed this bypass on the AVIC-D3 and has photos to show the process!

Now - I'm not too sure about the Kenwood application for our SGTs but I know that - I guess you could google search for online forums specifically talking about the Kenwood unit and see there's any info available about a bypass. You could also inquire at Crutchfield about being able to wire directly into the Shaker500 amp - they have techs available on the phone. Check out "Crutchfield.com"

Thanks for the info all.

For now I decided to do nothing. I added the MTX sub a while back and it sounds far better than before. I was just looking at a nice blue touch to the dash area with a DVD screen but this is what I found out from calls with Crutchfield and a couple others.

-When using a new unit you need a harness that connects the unit with the cars current system. By doing this the sound for the most part will be the same as it is now. Not louder but maybe a bit cleaner if your ears can hear that because it's still going thru the cars current amps and system.

-Next the installed Sirius won't work so you need to get a Sirius receiver at added cost etc. Did not know that either.

-So for a Kenwood DVD, Sirius receiver, wire harness etc it would be at $800 if I install myself. Everything else lighted inside my car is blue except the radio, so for now I will wait until the economy straightens up and see later in the spring or summer what I want to do. I don't want to remove everything and start over spending about $3000, that is for sure. :shift:

Archived