TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Airbag Cover / Carrol Shelby Autograph

ilmor

My airbag cover arrived in Gardena, CA for Carrol Shelby's autograph on 12/12/08. Now I'm in the mystery stage of wondering what's happening now and whether or not all is going well and getting done. :mellow:

I think if i remember right , I sent mine in about this time of year and was in your same situation.

mine was signed january 4th of 08

Rest assured, they took very good care of my airbag cover, and even re-wrapped it in my same protective covering, and even added the packing peanuts.

I still remember unwrapping it and the magic that was beheld that day getting my first glimpse of the legendary Carroll Shelby autograph. :happy feet:

I still remember running around the house with the biggest smile on my face and then calling all my friends. Definitely worth the wait!! It seemed Mr Shelby really takes pride in his work and it showed on my piece. Congrats on getting this far with it, im sure it will be great!

DSC01749.jpg

DSC01752.jpg

DSC01751.jpg

buy a replacement to have signed so you dont have huge gaping hole in your dash if it takes longer

I'm not driving the car now anyway, but the lack of the cover temporarily doesn't bother me.

I didn't think the cover was available separate from the airbag module?

Yes there they are, MM can hook you up or check ebay. I have a spare for the GT500 and SGT both signed by Mr.Shelby and Mr. Tasca Sr. And if Santa is nice to me this year I should be getting a very special one real soon signed by the God Father of the Mustang. :dance:

My airbag cover arrived in Gardena, CA for Carrol Shelby's autograph on 12/12/08. Now I'm in the mystery stage of wondering what's happening now and whether or not all is going well and getting done. :mellow:

Ilmor

While I can't officailly speak for the CSCF let me add a few things that may make it easier to understand the process.

First the CSCF receives many packages daily from around the world for autographs so your package may not be opened for a day or two. Once opened the foundation folks need to make sure everything is in order. You wouldn't believe how many people leave out their name or donation check from the package. Also you wouldn't believe how many people have special requests that need to be read and understood before Carroll autographs the item.

Once you get past that part you now need the man to autograph the item. Carroll is not at the foundation every day so although packages arrive daily he is not there to autograph items on a daily basis. For example he spent the Thanksgiving holiday in Texas and then was off to the Colorado Shelby museum. Right there is over a week without Carroll even being in California and guess what, packages keep arriving.

Ok so now we're at the point where Carroll is in town and he stops in at the CSCF. Well he can only autograph so many items before his autograph starts to not be as sharp as the first ones. Carroll takes pride in his autograph and I'm sure you wouldn't want a movie star autograph that is nothing more than a scribble. I know I wouldn't. So that limits the amount of items he can autograph in one sitting.

Also keep in mind that its not like he's signing the same item with a sharpie. Each item is different from a photograph to a pedal car. Each item requires a different type of pen from say a sharpie to a paint pen and then you have to factor in colors. Can't autograph a black sun visor with the black sharpie you just used on that owners manual. So more time to grab another type of pen and testing the ink flow before applying it to your keepsake.

Now once the item has been autographed it has to be matched back up with your original packaging or repackaged if shipped poorly to start with. Again that sounds like no big deal but when you have dozens and dozens of items it takes time to make sure everyone gets their part back. I don't think a GT500 owner would appreciate getting back a SGT air bag cover that doesn't match their car and when Carroll has just gotten done autographing a dozen air bag covers this can not be overlooked.

And from there its just a few days for the package to be delivered.

In a nutshell I guess what I'm saying is that when you send something to the CSCF you are getting in line for an autograph. You may luck out and it will take just a few days or you may pick a time that Carroll is away and the wait will be longer.

Hope this helps.

Steve

ShelbyMotorSport, your post makes perfect sense and helped me to realize more than I had imagined - thank you. I am in no hurry, and would rather he take his time such as you describe.

I'm not driving the car now anyway, but the lack of the cover temporarily doesn't bother me.

Go to your local Ford dealership give the parts guy your VIN # and you'll have your exact bagcover the next day in most locations. That's what I did. Its not rocket science. Sent the spare cover out and got the signed cover back in 8 weeks.

Archived