TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tran / Clutch TSB Question

500hpgt

Can anyone tell me if the trans / clutch TSB can be done without the car showing issues - have an 07 with 1,200 miles and shifts fine but looks like I will eventually have issues.

Can the repair be done when all is working good or does the car have to exhibit the shifting / clutch issues to be done?

Any Columbus Ohio area dealers that can do it?

Thanks for any help.

Can anyone tell me if the trans / clutch TSB can be done without the car showing issues - have an 07 with 1,200 miles and shifts fine but looks like I will eventually have issues.

Can the repair be done when all is working good or does the car have to exhibit the shifting / clutch issues to be done?

Thanks for any help.

I think it would depend on your dealer. Do you have a good relationship with a dealer in your area?

Have you tried Grabber's clutch test? (Do a search on the forum for the instructions.) If your transmission is exhibiting the symptoms, it will be very easy to demonstrate to the Ford tech.

To be on the safe side, I would go prepared. Print out some of the good posts from this forum regarding the issue. I did that, walked my service manager and tech through the development and root causes of the TSB, and they were very receptive.

Hope this helps - good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for any help.

May I ask why you think you will eventually have issues? Especially since everything is working fine? Has it been established that all '07s are defective?

May I ask why you think you will eventually have issues? Especially since everything is working fine? Has it been established that all '07s are defective?

Basically, yes - a combination of the lack of lubrication applied to the transmission input shaft, and a flywheel material unable to withstand the heat imparted from the clutch will eventually lead to failure. I think it's dependent on driving styles - people who drive it hard, or drive it in bumper-to-bumper traffic, will see the symptoms sooner. However, given that they've opened up the tolerance (by a thousandth or so) on the transmission input shaft and completely redesigned the flywheel (shape and material), it's obvious the root cause was a design issue. All 2007s, all 2008s, and 2009s built before mid-August 2008 will eventually have this problem.

Grabber, feel free to correct me - you're the expert here! I'm just paraphrasing from memory - likely from your posts! :headscratch:

I have had no issues at all and the clutch test is good but was manf March 07 and before the lube was applied.

Never had it in to a dealer and don' know any in the area that do much with GT500's.

Thanks for the responses -will be calling the dealers to see if I can go ahead and do it while in warranty before it does happen.

Basically, yes - a combination of the lack of lubrication applied to the transmission input shaft, and a flywheel material unable to withstand the heat imparted from the clutch will eventually lead to failure. I think it's dependent on driving styles - people who drive it hard, or drive it in bumper-to-bumper traffic, will see the symptoms sooner. However, given that they've opened up the tolerance (by a thousandth or so) on the transmission input shaft and completely redesigned the flywheel (shape and material), it's obvious the root cause was a design issue. All 2007s, all 2008s, and 2009s built before mid-August 2008 will eventually have this problem.

Grabber, feel free to correct me - you're the expert here! I'm just paraphrasing from memory - likely from your posts! :headscratch:

Hopefully you're wrong. Mine and 4 good friends have one, all 07's except one is an 08..........no issues at all...........thats 5 total.........and a few of us beat them !!

This is a very good question, and we are left in the dark by Ford even after trying to contact them through their official avenue (web site customer relations) and so far no clear answer, here is the breakdown of what is going on up until now:

1- there is no doubt about a flaw in the flywheel that was put in the cars up till august 08. That is a fact.

2- The flaw is related to inability of nodular iron flywheel to dissipate heat.

3- That leads to warping of the flywheel and eventually dragging the clutch and toasting the syncros of the trans.

4- throw in the mix the spline diameter and the lube which participates in the problem.

So in reality all cars with the old flywheel are vulnerable to the disease, now...... will they show the symptoms and signs and when, that depends on other factors related to the driving habit, city driving, spirited driving, how many mile....so forth . But in general they have the culprit of the old flywheel that is replaced by a forged steel one starting August 08..(i could be wrong on the date).

So far ford has issued the TSB for symptomatic cases. So if you have the signs and symptoms of what Grabber (THANK YOU Grabber for all the info you have furnished to the members and i hope you RECONSIDER your position on the trans issue) has described in the clutch test then you are eligible to have the TSB done by Ford dealers.

If you do not have the symptoms then likely you are not eligible.

It is logical to say if you have no symptoms you should not touch it. IF AIN'T BROKE DO NOT FIX IT.

On the other hand the culprit is sitting there which is the old fly wheel and hence trying to convince Ford that GOSH we have the culprit to the problem it may advance to a full disease so PLEASE issue a TSB addressing PREVENTION.

That where Ford is silent. and that where the heated discussion about the trans issue is coming from.

So to summarize the answer:

If you are following the school of thought:

IF AIN'T BROKE DO NOT FIX IT....then nothing to do now and wait hopefully it will never happen.

If you are following the school of thought:

IF AIN'T BROKE FIX IT TILL IT IS.....Then have many spirited drivings with very nice long two black stripes on the pavement and the flywheel will warp and you will have the symptoms that makes you eligible for the TSB.

I hope that helps.

PS

By the way i intentionally did not want to get into other possible problems with the rear gears that can participate in the clutch issue and very knowledgeable members had hinted to.

Just drive the car for another year or two (that's what I'm doing) & by then you'll have enough wear & tear for it to qualify for the TSB as long as you don't go past the 5 year/ 60,000 mile powertrain warranty before having the work done.

Thanks, Coldy.

I really am driving mine, but I am still only in the upper 6,000 mile range. So far no issues. I'll keep an eye on the calendar. No issues for now. Had it since July 2006, as you will recall. But mine is for going to the grocery store and church on Sunday, so, who knows how long it will take to wear it out...

:lurk:

Archived