TEAM SHELBY FORUM

BBK throttle body install

I did this a month or two ago now, but I just got around to re-sizing the pics.

I installed the 62mm twin BBK throttle body and shelved the stock one.

I noticed a big difference in throttle response and a noticeable gain in low end power right away.

The install was pretty straight forward.

Ken

post-20883-1229647301_thumb.jpg

post-20883-1229647301_thumb.jpg

I'm new to performance mods and I'm curious what makes the BBK better then stock? The opening look about the same to a performance newbie like me.

About 15-20 HP and some more torque according to BBK...Looks simple enough if you have all of the right tools...Not too bad of a gain for $300.00 I guess...

About 15-20 HP and some more torque according to BBK...Looks simple enough if you have all of the right tools...Not too bad of a gain for $300.00 I guess...

I question the 15-20 final gains. Been there, tried that.

Back in '03 and '04, I tested the BBK TB on a 4.6L-4V DOHC Marauder. Twin 62mm vs. twin 62mm. Not enough gain to print B&A dyno reports.

Later, I tested the single blade Accufab (after trimming out the upper intake to clear the blade) and got single digit improvement in power (HP and TQ), as well as a reduction in 2 MPG.

The only way this TB is going to improve power, is to retune the car with a custom dyno tune. The TB is a bottle neck for CFM flow, and until it's larger, you won't see impressive value. Much like the fantasy of power gains with some other aftermarket induction elbow, it really a matter of air volume. You may feel more tug in the seat of your pants, and throttle tip-in will be smoother, but it's cheaper to just pull your stock TB and polish out the interior surfaces. Combine that with a smoother elbow and a professional dyno tune, and you have some performance value for your time and money.

Happy motoring, gents.

I question the 15-20 final gains. Been there, tried that.

I'm not going to disagree with you Mac...I just stated what BBK throws out there..."they claim" (not me) 15-20 HP over stock...Of course, we all know that is inflated, and I just can't justify spending hard earned money for what they "claim" to be that much of an increase...I'd just love to find someplace near where I live that has a Dyno and would be able to fine tune my car...but living out here in the Sandhills of West Texas, that ain't gonna happen either...I'll have to make a trip to Dallas and get with the good people at Quantum some day....

I'm not going to disagree with you Mac...I just stated what BBK throws out there..."they claim" (not me) 15-20 HP over stock...Of course, we all know that is inflated, and I just can't justify spending hard earned money for what they "claim" to be that much of an increase...I'd just love to find someplace near where I live that has a Dyno and would be able to fine tune my car...but living out here in the Sandhills of West Texas, that ain't gonna happen either...I'll have to make a trip to Dallas and get with the good people at Quantum some day....

I know the numbers do seem high for just a TB, but with a custom dyno tune they could be possible? I know gr8snkbite added a BBK TB to his GT500 and saw a pretty decent pick up on the dyno with a custom tune. I want to say it was in-line with what BBK has advertised.

Does the change to the BBK throttle body effect the warranty? Does the addition of a spacer with the BBK throttle body gain anything?

Does the addition of a spacer with the stock throttle body really gain anything? Would the spacer addition alone effect the warranty?

What engine performance additions effect the Ford/Shelby warranty and which ones don't?

Thanks in advance, GREG

a TB on a forced induction motor will make much more power then on a NA motor because of the amount of air being moved with the FI set up. now with that being said a TB on a NA car can help with tip in and may ad some power but the most noticable affect will be the throtle responce in most cases.

I'm not going to disagree with you Mac...I just stated what BBK throws out there..."they claim" (not me) 15-20 HP over stock...

I know that, my friend, and I wasn't picking your statement apart. I've been soaking up manfacturer's claims and doing my own testing for over 40 years now. Just disappoints me how some folks buy into the ad crap and not do their own testing. We're good, Carl.

IMHO, y'all would be a lot better off polishing out your own TB than expect improvement from any aftermarket TB of the same size as stock. Go buy a Dremel tool and spend an intimate afternoon polishing your stock SGT TB. Smoother is better, but in the end only size matters.

Does the change to the BBK throttle body effect the warranty? Does the addition of a spacer with the BBK throttle body gain anything?

Does the addition of a spacer with the stock throttle body really gain anything? Would the spacer addition alone effect the warranty?

What engine performance additions effect the Ford/Shelby warranty and which ones don't?

Thanks in advance, GREG

1-No.

2-No.

3-No.

4-No.

5-Exactly which mods will void your factory warranty are hard to nail down, a lot depends on your relationship with your dealership. However, it's safe to assume that anything that cracks a factory seal is potentially risky. Engine, tranny and rear end come to mind. Best to check with your dealership first?

I know that, my friend, and I wasn't picking your statement apart. I've been soaking up manfacturer's claims and doing my own testing for over 40 years now. Just disappoints me how some folks buy into the ad crap and not do their own testing. We're good, Carl.

IMHO, y'all would be a lot better off polishing out your own TB than expect improvement from any aftermarket TB of the same size as stock. Go buy a Dremel tool and spend an intimate afternoon polishing your stock SGT TB. Smoother is better, but in the end only size matters.

You been hitting the Enzyte again Mac? :hysterical2::hysterical2:

Just Kidding Mac! Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Dude! You are a wealth of information and I love hearing from you!

• 3 months later...
now how about there 65mm twin set up for the gt500s would that help? i think i would try that one way before i went with the 62mm. but thats just me.

According to GT500-07 in this post http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...p;hl=granatelli the stock GT500 TB isn't 65 mm. It's 58 mm.

The new Cobra Jet TB is 62.5 mm according to FRPP.

Just an FYI

Ken

lol no prob i was the one that caused the confusion.

so what does anyone think?

I think it makes a lot of sense. When I bought the 62mm BBK, I didn't realize that the GT500 TB would bolt right on to the 4.6 intake.

So the GT500 BBK must bolt right up too then right?

Ken

you need an adapter plate, check with JDM or MMR

The GT500 Throttle Body Kit allows more air flow to enter the engine by creating a larger bore opening at the throttle body. We do this by replacing the factory 4.6 3V engine throttle body with one from a 2007 Shelby GT500 supercharged cobra mustang. To adapt this plate to your factory, aftermarket, or supercharger manifold we have included a billet spacer plate which will allow you to fit the two units together. Along with the plate and throttle body comes a rubber 4.5-5" transition hose to adapt to most aftermarket intake pipes.

http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=217

http://www.modularmustangracing.com/

Archived