TEAM SHELBY FORUM

puff of white smoke ??

I would say no. Pure white would be an indicator of antifreeze in the cylinder(s). Steam could be normal, but not pure white, at least in my experience.

I used to have an RX-7 (rotary); on start-up, a little antifreeze was injected (by design) into the chamber for lubrication. Sometimes the system overdid it and I got a lot of pure white smoke!

Two of our family cars had antifreeze in the oil. The symptoms were white smoke most of the time, a sweet smell of the antifreeze burning and the engine running hot. The oil was frothy when you check it with the dipstick. One of the cars had a cracked head and the other a bad head gasket.

If it's only a puff at cold start-up, it is most likely the O2 sensor pre-heater burning off moisture. Condition normal.

Lulu what is this item? Is it similar to the front muffler bearing getting low oil lube causing some smoke due to a bent exhaust oil line from doing "jackrabbit starts"?

I've had the same thing happen. It only does it if the weather is below around 40 degrees. The car runs fine, doesn't burn oil etc. I think the re-calibration must be making the car not like cold weather starting. Of course, living in Florida, we don't see many sub-40 degree days.

I've had the same thing happen. It only does it if the weather is below around 40 degrees. The car runs fine, doesn't burn oil etc. I think the re-calibration must be making the car not like cold weather starting. Of course, living in Florida, we don't see many sub-40 degree days.

+1 And, we do have lots of humidity!!

Two of our family cars had antifreeze in the oil. The symptoms were white smoke most of the time, a sweet smell of the antifreeze burning and the engine running hot. The oil was frothy when you check it with the dipstick. One of the cars had a cracked head and the other a bad head gasket.

I hope they weren`t Fords.

I have a fleet of Ford trucks with 4.6s as well as 5.4s they ALL do it from time to time along with my shelby. I dont like it but my trucks(some with over 200k) get serviced only every 10k by me and NONE use any oil or coolant. Its always baffled me and it seems to be alot more than what condinsation would account for??

Lulu what is this item? Is it similar to the front muffler bearing getting low oil lube causing some smoke due to a bent exhaust oil line from doing "jackrabbit starts"?

The O2 sensors have electric "pre-heaters" that warm up the sensors at ignition. If there is any moisture left behind in the cats, it will be vaporized. Likewise, watered down gasoline could produce the same results.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in Myrtle Beach and dont drive the car often. I too had a big puff of white smoke

• 1 month later...

I notice this as well! It seems to happen when the car sits more than a couple of days! but not always!! i also notice my exaust tips are black and sooty! i can only find 93 octane and not 91 like recomended! in the spring i plan a brenspeed 93 octane tuner! i also wonder if anyone knows the best intake tube to bolt on?

Archived