TEAM SHELBY FORUM

would u trade your gt500 for a 2000 cobra r ??

sherpa

hi everyone just trying to get some opinions on the above topic.

part of me wants to do it . . . . . .

the only thing that kinda bugs me is that the 2000 cobra r 's value is on the miles, seems like if i have one of those, i can't really drive it at all, only can look at it and that's no fun.

but on the other side, it will be a more safer investment long term.

currently both cars are under 3000 miles.

thank you for your opinion.

It is not on both accounts......I have to admit that the cobra r stunned me when i saw her in person at the same ford dealer where i got the shelby...he asked then 62k that was a lot of money and i passed it........it has a killer looks even with the funky spoiler all in all looks still great.

I WOULD IF I WAS BREAKING EVEN ON MY GT500 AND THE 2000 COBRA R WAS NOT OVER PRICED.

JUST MY $.02.

MY CAR IS FAIRLY RARE SINCE IT IS A G.O STRIPE DELETE VERT, BUT THE 2000 COBRA R IS

MUCH MORE SO.

My esteemed $.02 worth: If I can't drive it, I ain't buying it. I don't want to offend anyone who babies their car....I do too, but in a different way. My GT 500 is in use (almost) every day. My wife drives it to school--there's not another kindergarten teacher in 1000 miles with a cooler car! Now, the last 3 days they've been out of school for snow/ice and the GT 500 has not moved out of the garage. That being said, I want a driver. Something I can get in and go to the beach (at least 8 hours away) or cruise the boulevard on Saturday night. We bought our car in August and we're over 5000, almost 6000 now. To me, the GT 500 is the clear winner, hands down. However, if competition is your thing, the Cobra R may be the ticket. Personally, I could not give up my GT 500 for a 9 year old car, even if the miles were less than 3k. My car will never be an "investment".......

I have to agree with thewheelman. You have to be able to DRIVE a car. There are MANY more worthwhile and productive investments than cars. That being said...I would LOVE to have a 2000 Cobra R. It is without a doubt one of the sweetest rides ever put out by SVT. The only problem is its such a rare/exclusive car, that its not one you can drive regularly. Which is what makes the GT500 that much more appealing. Hell, if you can't enjoy it, what good is it? Don't get me wrong, if I had the money, I'd have a 2000 R sitting in my garage...along with a slew of other rare/exclusive autos. But being able to really enjoy a car for what it was meant to be, goes a lot farther in my book than exclusivity....

I mean.......its about the ride, isn't it?

Just my .02

Pig

the only thing that kinda bugs me is that the 2000 cobra r 's value is on the miles, seems like if i have one of those, i can't really drive it at all, only can look at it and that's no fun.

I'd trade, far fewer Cobra R's then GT500's. You can always pick up a used GT500. Look in the forsale forum, used one for $33,900. What do you think they will be worth next December?

I'd stick with my GT-500 for a few reasons.

- I buy cars to drive

- I like my GT-500

- No room for another car if I made the trade then went to look for a used GT-500

- No money to buy another car....lol

- Didn't purchase this car as an investment

Only if I really wanted a true track ready car! No air conditioning, no back seat, no radio, and that hugh park bench spoiler on the rear :) Not as much hp, not a car to cruise around in comfortably. I'd stick with the GT500. Someday in the far distant future, they will both be worth the same amount.

The only reason I would ever have EITHER car is to put it on the track!

With feedback from an "R" owner saying that (stock for stock) the GT500 would out perform the "R" (at least until brake fade set in); I would be hard pressed to give up a stock GT500 for a stock "R".

Knowing what my modified GT500 is capable of; no way would I give it up for an SN95...............

Oh, and investments? That's what I do with my accountant, broker and realtor; not my car dealer :hysterical:

My collection, if I was wealthy enough to have a collection, would be all three Cobra R's and a KR (which I consider the latest "Cobra R").

For a car I want to enjoy driving and owning, my '08 GT500 Vert is perfect. For a car I drive, I need a rear seat for the kiddies, and a convertible for fun in the sun. Rear seat and convertible eliminates the "R's" and KR (so does budget!).

If I wanted a car to sit under a cover and never drive an '00 Cobra R would be right at the top of the pile. For a car I want to enjoying driving over the comming years, the GT500's are perfect.

I have had several Cobra R's (93, 95, and 00) at least one of each over the years and they are fine if you just want ot look at them, but far from great drivers...no a/c. radio, rear seat etc. I drove one of my 00's daily for over a year with a Vortech..it was fun, but not as fun as our GT500's. As far as resale...not for at least another 10 years will these cars bring decent money!! Just my $.02..

I will give you my opinion...as someone who is fortunate enough to have both of those exact cars in my garage right now. The 00R is a beast, it is a blast to drive and just feels like a race car. The exhaust is mean and it just seems like it is glued to the road. At high speeds, it seems way more stable than the GT500. It just begs to be pushed harder and it can take it.

My GT500 has the 40th package and therefore has the eichbach suspension. It was fun to drive in stock form and way better as a 40th. Even so, it is not as stable in hard turns or at high speeds as the R. I love the looks and the fun factor that comes with crusing around in it and nailing the throttle every once in a while.

All of that said, I agree with most comments on the board here. If I had to pick one, I would probably keep my GT500 just because of the fun in driving it more often. All of the creature comforts (including the convertible top) are just too good to give up. I drive both, but I drive the 500 more often. I also agree that very few cars are an investment, but some are. My Mach 1 is worth way more than I paid for it. I have made my fair share of profits on cars, but lost a bunch on some too. You make your money on the buy, so if you buy it right, you have the potential for appreciation. Given the limited production and unique nature of the 00R, I think it has the opportunity to be the Boss 429 of the late models. Will it ever appreciate to those levels?....maybe not, but I do think it has a good opportunity to be worth quite a bit more than the current market today. GT500's on the other hand are just way too common to create a market that will appreciate, IMHO.

Whatever you decide, enjoy it. These cars are too much fun to be wrapper cars that sit in a garage forever. Keep us posted.

I will give you my opinion...as someone who is fortunate enough to have both of those exact cars in my garage right now. The 00R is a beast, it is a blast to drive and just feels like a race car. The exhaust is mean and it just seems like it is glued to the road. At high speeds, it seems way more stable than the GT500. It just begs to be pushed harder and it can take it.

My GT500 has the 40th package and therefore has the eichbach suspension. It was fun to drive in stock form and way better as a 40th. Even so, it is not as stable in hard turns or at high speeds as the R. I love the looks and the fun factor that comes with crusing around in it and nailing the throttle every once in a while.

All of that said, I agree with most comments on the board here. If I had to pick one, I would probably keep my GT500 just because of the fun in driving it more often. All of the creature comforts (including the convertible top) are just too good to give up. I drive both, but I drive the 500 more often. I also agree that very few cars are an investment, but some are. My Mach 1 is worth way more than I paid for it. I have made my fair share of profits on cars, but lost a bunch on some too. You make your money on the buy, so if you buy it right, you have the potential for appreciation. Given the limited production and unique nature of the 00R, I think it has the opportunity to be the Boss 429 of the late models. Will it ever appreciate to those levels?....maybe not, but I do think it has a good opportunity to be worth quite a bit more than the current market today. GT500's on the other hand are just way too common to create a market that will appreciate, IMHO.

Whatever you decide, enjoy it. These cars are too much fun to be wrapper cars that sit in a garage forever. Keep us posted.

thanks for the replay tx, its great to hear from someone that has both of them.

i understand in general terms that to invest in a car for future gain is not a good idea but i do have to say that some models down the road will command decent good amount of money or at least retain its value. one example i want to use is the early years of the nsx. for a decent milage one, it has been commanding no less than $30k to $35k for years now even though kbb says its worth like $20k -$25k people are just not selling them cheap since not too many are around, espcially a good condition one. even the salvage titled or ones that has over 150k miles are still trying to ask no less than $20k.

i personally think the 00r has plenty of potential or else i would never give this swap a serious thought.

let me throw this at u, is ur 00r for fun drives, collection or just have to have one :-)

if for some reason u had to unload the 00r, what would be ur asking $?

u never know, this 00r might just be my retirement condo in the future :-)

thank you

I would do it, those cars are extremely rare, and worth a good chunk of change, and probably will only go up in value. The GT500 will too, but you can get one a few years from now.

thanks for the replay tx, its great to hear from someone that has both of them.

i understand in general terms that to invest in a car for future gain is not a good idea but i do have to say that some models down the road will command decent good amount of money or at least retain its value. one example i want to use is the early years of the nsx. for a decent milage one, it has been commanding no less than $30k to $35k for years now even though kbb says its worth like $20k -$25k people are just not selling them cheap since not too many are around, espcially a good condition one. even the salvage titled or ones that has over 150k miles are still trying to ask no less than $20k.

i personally think the 00r has plenty of potential or else i would never give this swap a serious thought.

let me throw this at u, is ur 00r for fun drives, collection or just have to have one :-)

if for some reason u had to unload the 00r, what would be ur asking $?

u never know, this 00r might just be my retirement condo in the future :-)

thank you

I agree, I think this car has the most potential of any late model mustang to appreciate in value.

I guess I have the car for all three reasons...I have always wanted one, it is a blast to drive and I hope I can someday sell it for what I paid or more.

I have no idea what I would sell her for, but the Market seems to be high 30's to mid 40's, depending on miles. I know one thing...I would not sell it right now though, not in this market. Now is a time to buy not sell.

It could be...with only 300 ever made and probably only 280 or so left, it is a rare car.

Trade? No way. I've got almost 80k into my GT500 so far and another 5k to go before I'm done.

I'd take a Cobra R..then race it.

Archived