TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Modified my CS6 hood

LL CS6

After installing the CS6 hood I had to remove my strut tower brace because of clearance issues and after my X-Charger install I had rubbing in several spots under the hood. I took my car to a local bodyshop and had them modify the under-side to give me the clearance I needed. I basicly had them cut the center section out and "glass" it back in to the upper section.I think it turned out great. The shop still has my car and is finishing up some extra stuff. Here are a few pic's, I'll post a pic of the final product later next week.

post-18963-1229566017_thumb.jpg

post-18963-1229566028_thumb.jpg

post-18963-1229566042_thumb.jpg

post-18963-1229566017_thumb.jpg

post-18963-1229566028_thumb.jpg

post-18963-1229566042_thumb.jpg

After installing the CS6 hood I had to remove my strut tower brace because of clearance issues and after my X-Charger install I had rubbing in several spots under the hood. I took my car to a local bodyshop and had them modify the under-side to give me the clearance I needed. I basicly had them cut the center section out and "glass" it back in to the upper section.I think it turned out great. The shop still has my car and is finishing up some extra stuff. Here are a few pic's, I'll post a pic of the final product later next week.

Please post those fiinshed pictures when you get the hood back on your car. I have the CS6 hood on my SGT and have rubbing issues on the CAI elbow by the throttle body and intake filter and strut tower brace. I am looking for a fix especially since I'm considering adding a Whipple or KB supercharger in the future. Now that bottom is open have you considered drilling holes in the faux hood grille to extract heat? Also, what was the cost to have this done? Thanks,

Dave

Please post those fiinshed pictures when you get the hood back on your car. I have the CS6 hood on my SGT and have rubbing issues on the CAI elbow by the throttle body and intake filter and strut tower brace. I am looking for a fix especially since I'm considering adding a Whipple or KB supercharger in the future. Now that bottom is open have you considered drilling holes in the faux hood grille to extract heat? Also, what was the cost to have this done? Thanks,

Dave

Shop called today and Slimer will be ready for pickup tomorrow.If your thinking about a "root style" S/C then you will have to modify the hood. I have the X-Charger (Eaton M90) on mine. In the first pic the "Mailbox" cut I had to do myself with a dremel because the pulley would not clear.Now in my case the work I'm having done is alittle overkill and pricey, My CS is mainly a show car and I'm sure you can modify it yourself for alot less coin, I know Paleco and Rouge24 have done their own hood mods and they looks great.I'll try and post some pic's tomorrow night.

Shop called today and Slimer will be ready for pickup tomorrow.If your thinking about a "root style" S/C then you will have to modify the hood. I have the X-Charger (Eaton M90) on mine. In the first pic the "Mailbox" cut I had to do myself with a dremel because the pulley would not clear.Now in my case the work I'm having done is alittle overkill and pricey, My CS is mainly a show car and I'm sure you can modify it yourself for alot less coin, I know Paleco and Rouge24 have done their own hood mods and they looks great.I'll try and post some pic's tomorrow night.

Thanks,

I don't know that I could do this work myself, my SGT is a show and driver so I'd like a nice finished look too.

Would love to see some more pics.

Dave

Thanks,

I don't know that I could do this work myself, my SGT is a show and driver so I'd like a nice finished look too.

Would love to see some more pics.

Dave

Here is the finished product.When I first bought my Legend Lime stang my wife hated the color and actually named the car that day. She said the color looked like that disgusting blob on Ghostbusters and thus the "SLIMER" stang was born. On my stock hood I had a buddy make some ghost decals that went under the hood and they went over well and grabbed alot of attention but when I did the CS conversion they had to go for clearance problems along with my strut brace. With the center section removed and glassed in I've got my strut brace and my "SLIMER" personality back along with ample clearance for the X-Charger and room for a future intercooler for my X when they come out.

I look at it as a win/win even though the price was more than the actual hood itself.

post-18963-1230116512_thumb.jpg

post-18963-1230116534_thumb.jpg

post-18963-1230116550_thumb.jpg

post-18963-1230116572_thumb.jpg

post-18963-1230116512_thumb.jpg

post-18963-1230116534_thumb.jpg

post-18963-1230116550_thumb.jpg

post-18963-1230116572_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Here is the finished product.When I first bought my Legend Lime stang my wife hated the color and actually named the car that day. She said the color looked like that disgusting blob on Ghostbusters and thus the "SLIMER" stang was born. On my stock hood I had a buddy make some ghost decals that went under the hood and they went over well and grabbed alot of attention but when I did the CS conversion they had to go for clearance problems along with my strut brace. With the center section removed and glassed in I've got my strut brace and my "SLIMER" personality back along with ample clearance for the X-Charger and room for a future intercooler for my X when they come out.

I look at it as a win/win even though the price was more than the actual hood itself.

Ha Terry I finally get to see what your car looks like! Bring it by and let me check it out in person! Good job!

• 1 month later...
Looks good but how is it on the highway at higher speeds? Does the hood flex from the wind anymore then before since the center is weakened?

I had to modify mine to fit over my Rouscharger but the shop only cut and glassed in the center portion.

any pictures?

any pictures?

The hood is actually more stable now than before. I forgot to include this pic which should explain better. What they did was sandwhich 1/2" foam blocks between the sections and then glass over them to connect the sections. In hind sight this would have been the oportunity to install vents in the front and rear sections for a true heat extractor hood but I didn't.

My hood dosen't float at all @ high speeds and I also have the Shelby hood pins installed

post-18963-1234584976_thumb.jpg

post-18963-1234584997_thumb.jpg

The hood is actually more stable now than before. I forgot to include this pic which should explain better. What they did was sandwhich 1/2" foam blocks between the sections and then glass over them to connect the sections. In hind sight this would have been the oportunity to install vents in the front and rear sections for a true heat extractor hood but I didn't.

My hood dosen't float at all @ high speeds and I also have the Shelby hood pins installed

Looks great. I love the color of your CS6! Nice work

Ken

Thanks for the info, I may end up doing this down the road once my stang is not my daily anymore.

• 2 months later...

Here's a question - sort of on topic - but not really.

Has anyone thought about utilizing the KR/Super Snake Hood vent grilles and cutting them into the CS6 hood???

I've been tossing around the idea of cutting out the underside of my hood much like LL CS6 did here, but also having them cut in 2 openings for the KR/Super Snake Hood Vent grilles. I know it would be different/unique/custom. . . . . but would be totally useful in getting some of the air/heat out from under the hood.

Thoughts??

Trevor

Here's a question - sort of on topic - but not really.

Has anyone thought about utilizing the KR/Super Snake Hood vent grilles and cutting them into the CS6 hood???

I've been tossing around the idea of cutting out the underside of my hood much like LL CS6 did here, but also having them cut in 2 openings for the KR/Super Snake Hood Vent grilles. I know it would be different/unique/custom. . . . . but would be totally useful in getting some of the air/heat out from under the hood.

Thoughts??

Trevor

already in the works :drool:

Care to share some infomation? Are you personally working on this for your own car??? Do Tell! :lurk:

I'd be interested in learning what you've found out.

Trevor

We have the C6/GTH hood, cutting out the center to make the front faux vent functional and then cutting in the SS vents.

GT500-07,

Are you doing the work yourself or having a body shop complete the work for you?

LL CS6,

How much did the body shop charge you for the cutting/reglass of your hood?? Am I looking at another $1K??

Can you just put the vents on the rear portion of the hood and leave the fake hood grille section alone??? I'm just looking to have them cut in the hood vents up on the back portion of the hood near where the washer nozzles are like the KR/Super Snake hood has them. Are the openings on the front of the KR/Super Snake hood actually functional (like ram air) or just for looks?

Trevor

GT500-07,

Are you doing the work yourself or having a body shop complete the work for you?

LL CS6,

How much did the body shop charge you for the cutting/reglass of your hood?? Am I looking at another $1K??

Can you just put the vents on the rear portion of the hood and leave the fake hood grille section alone??? I'm just looking to have them cut in the hood vents up on the back portion of the hood near where the washer nozzles are like the KR/Super Snake hood has them. Are the openings on the front of the KR/Super Snake hood actually functional (like ram air) or just for looks?

Trevor

I have a friend doing the work. I don't see why you couldn't just cut in the rear vents in and leave the balaance of the hood alone. The KR & SS hoods have functional ram air.

Archived