TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch TSB and Shift problems

frankc5601

I know there are lots of topics on this, but thought I would provide some information that may be helpful. Had the clutch TSB done, and within a week or two, had trouble shifting into 5th gear. Turns out it was the "roll pin". Dealer replaced it, said the old one was broke or coming loose. Have had it a week so far, working great. FWIW.

If the tsb works it was properly done if it fails it was mechanic error- the curtain has not closed on this issue and believing that it is not all mechanic error does not make me wrong- more time and reports will show me wrong I can only hope.

lets consider the best scenario you will find that the owners are subjected to different levels of techs throughout the countries that are working on a complicated trans to rebuild it, so the ground is not leveled from the get go and you will have different outcomes.

If the trans is replaces as a whole unit then the possibilities of errors are way way less.

then you get into the puzzling part of it which is the prevention and the question that no one has answered yet...why to wait until the trans goes out to do the TSB? if the mere problem is the flywheel then why NOT to replace the flywheel as PREVENTION so you do not have to go through the whole TSB in place now?

That tells me that they are not coming out clean at Ford to tell us what the heck is going on.

I haven't had any clutch work done yet..but I do have a question. When accelerating in second gear, I can hear a very low grumbling sound coming from where the motor is behind the radio area...is this normal? I had a mustang GT and it did not make a sound similar to that...thanks.

I haven't had any clutch work done yet..but I do have a question. When accelerating in second gear, I can hear a very low grumbling sound coming from where the motor is behind the radio area...is this normal? I had a mustang GT and it did not make a sound similar to that...thanks.

Yes, the gear roll over noise is normal.

lets consider the best scenario you will find that the owners are subjected to different levels of techs throughout the countries that are working on a complicated trans to rebuild it, so the ground is not leveled from the get go and you will have different outcomes.

If the trans is replaces as a whole unit then the possibilities of errors are way way less.

then you get into the puzzling part of it which is the prevention and the question that no one has answered yet...why to wait until the trans goes out to do the TSB? if the mere problem is the flywheel then why NOT to replace the flywheel as PREVENTION so you do not have to go through the whole TSB in place now?

That tells me that they are not coming out clean at Ford to tell us what the heck is going on.

that is what I am trying to say- the problem has not been resolved by Ford- tech error is always an issue on any repair however I have this strong feeling that we have a deffective or part non compatible clutch tranny system in our cars- If this is such a great system why is it not duplicated in the 2010. How long will they stand behind the tsb into the future. My clutch is grabby and the dealer says hey thats normal go ahead and use it - quote it is a racing type clutch so give it some juice- funny thing when I took it in for the tsb the grabby part of the problem was not normal to them then. The issue with this whole system has not been solved yet- maybe it never will be proven as a deffect but some people have been through this whole thing three times. Once out of warranty I predict our cars will to the most part have after market clutch systems and the most updated tranny for our six speeds.

Frankc5601 glad to hear your problem has been resolved, I have the same problem and have held off on taking it back till I feel lucky that they can fix it :rolleyes:

Nice color ....I have parts on order to complete the TSB. ETA is first of the year..stay tuned...Red and Black the fastest color :happy feet:

Yes, the gear roll over noise is normal.
Everything wrong with the car is normal- and everything normal with the car is normal- hey its a perfectly normal car- yeah I like that. Everyone repeat after me NORMAL-- what happened to correct and outstanding- normal- normal- but but dont worry it is normal. Mr. Dealer Grabber says its normal- The faulty clutch system is normal- the tranny is normal- the rust on the car is normal- To avoid the word normal please press the foot pedal until the tach says 3000 and let out the normal clutch and shift as close to 6000 rpms as possibe so that the tranny can act normal and go through the trap at at least 115 mph as that is normally what happens to me. If that seems unnormal put on a 2.60 pulley and go from normal to oh my gosh- or go through the trap at 7000 rpm and replace all the normal parts with new normal parts. I have had some outstanding cars but this is the most oustanding normal car I have ever owned. Even the updated tbs notices have picked up the word normal.

Even the updated tbs notices have picked up the word normal.

Look at this thread and you can easily see the contradiction i pointed to in post #3

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37150

they say in one that it is abnormal and in the other they give dealers instruction that this is normal so do not get the TSB done until your trans is toasted then you get the grinding and you are eligible for the TSB. like wait until the patient dies then treat... .

:headscratch:

Look at this thread and you can easily see the contradiction i pointed to in post #3

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37150

they say in one that it is abnormal and in the other they give dealers instruction that this is normal so do not get the TSB done until your trans is toasted then you get the grinding and you are eligible for the TSB. like wait until the patient dies then treat... .

Sometimes I think grabber is very one sided but with that said he has copied a lot of information and given a lot of good tips but that does not mean everything he prints we have to believe- your point is an example- I am very happy with my car although I must admit I bought the car more for its performance than anything else. Chance to own a good looking muscle car. I follow the tsb on the clutch issue as much as possible and it seems to be a problem that is not just related to workmanship but design. Evertytime that is said a post comes back my car is perfect sorry you do not like yours? Lots of people have had problems and the posts keep showing up from other car owners with questions and unhappy results. My car works for me as I use it when I feel the need for power- I believe the tsb was done ok on my car but it still has quirks if you drive it in a quiet manner. Sometime down the road- so to speak- someone will admit that a better soloution should have been designed fot the clutch and tranny system on the gt 500. Ford knows their is a problem and the fact that most dealers step up to the plate on the repairs is a good sign- the fact that lots of them fail or leave symptons is the issue. Designing the system is one thing but to put total blame on the techs is off base. I am as sick of hearing the clutch tranny system is normal as you are of hearing me say it is not.

I'm all done posting any information on this site about the clutch, tranny or flywheel. Period. End of story.

Grabber, I want to personally thank you for your participation on this subject matter. Without your assistance, the battle to get my GT500 fixed could have been much worse. It is very unfortunate that some are unclear on your very pure intent to assist.

Jay

If it wasn`t for Grabber we probably wouldn`t have been educated on what the problemis are with the tranny/ clutch . So Grabber step back from your computer take a couple of deep breaths & get back at it We all need all the info we can get & I for one appreciate what you have done. Now lets all try & keep the insults & name calling out of these topics . Time for a group hug. :grouphug:

Grabber,

If it wasn't for you, I'm not sure Ford would have pursued this TSB at all. Then we'd ALL end up with a $5K+ repair - without a redesigned flywheel and clutch! We'd all be spending $5K+ every few years.

I, personally, thank you deeply for your passion and determination with these cars. You've saved all of us here countless hours and dollars, not to mention stress!

Please reconsider - I come across a GT500 owner at least once a month, refer him to this site, and so far every one has found your posts very insightful and helpful. They even mention you by name: "Who's this 'Grabber' guy?" :)

I'm all done posting any information on this site about the clutch, tranny or flywheel. Period. End of story.

Grabber, I am new here and I just sold my Roush mustang and I'm very much in the market for a GT500. I feel I will be making an EDUCATED purchase because of YOU! Please don't take everyone opinions to heart. You know what they say about opinions. Anyways as a non GT500 owner and for someone in the Market for one, I have learned much here from other members and mostly you.

People are quick to post when they are disgruntled but what you don't realize is that their are the countless people that read your posts and learn from them. Just wanted to say thanks.

In as much as your " Im all done"" followed my post I will refrain from commenting on your information as to hopefully allow you to continue the good work you have done for Team Shelby. Myslelf inclulded need your information and it seems fool hardy on my part to ruin something you have worked so hard on and others count on. The rotten apple has left the grabber barrel so please remember the many thank-yous you have received and know that I will stay out of your way in any further negative posts. - I can offer no more than an apology for hitting the wrong note. Team Shelby needs you!

Archived