TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Hood Scoop Received

12/16/08

I received my new - warrantied hood scoop today. It is a HUGE improvement over the original version. This new scoop is......drumroll please............ fiberglass! I used to restore C3 Vettes - that were fiberglass then and this seems to be a very high quality unit. The weave is very tight and has been polished smooth - almost like a carbon fiber piece. The bottom - hood edge is finished to a flat - straight bottom mounting edge to fit to the hood much better than the composite rounded edge unit. Thank you for stepping up Shelby!

The new scoop comes without holes; so you do not end up with 50 rivet mounts instead of 25. I plan to just lay the old-new scoop back to back and drill the new holes through the old. Still may go for functional air. Going to be at Tampa Bay Shelby tomorrow night to mount the CS69's and Nittos and may design a plan to do this. The front fake vent is attached by three nuts and comes off, then a little dremeling along the edge that it taps into to have a completely smooth underside.

If have been waiting for a final fix/version, this sure looks like it. Order it up with confidence. Thanks again Shelby for being stand-up about this. Now it will look unique to the SGT and with a quality fit and finish.

Doug

DougsBadBlackMustang

CSM# 07SGT5501

12/16/08

I received my new - warrantied hood scoop today. It is a HUGE improvement over the original version. This new scoop is......drumroll please............ fiberglass! I used to restore C3 Vettes - that were fiberglass then and this seems to be a very high quality unit. The weave is very tight and has been polished smooth - almost like a carbon fiber piece. The bottom - hood edge is finished to a flat - straight bottom mounting edge to fit to the hood much better than the composite rounded edge unit. Thank you for stepping up Shelby!

The new scoop comes without holes; so you do not end up with 50 rivet mounts instead of 25. I plan to just lay the old-new scoop back to back and drill the new holes through the old. Still may go for functional air. Going to be at Tampa Bay Shelby tomorrow night to mount the CS69's and Nittos and may design a plan to do this. The front fake vent is attached by three nuts and comes off, then a little dremeling along the edge that it taps into to have a completely smooth underside.

If have been waiting for a final fix/version, this sure looks like it. Order it up with confidence. Thanks again Shelby for being stand-up about this. Now it will look unique to the SGT and with a quality fit and finish.

Doug

DougsBadBlackMustang

CSM# 07SGT5501

How did you go about obtaining this piece?

How did you go about obtaining this piece?

You will need to go through the dealer you purchased from. Go to the body shop. They will need to submit pics of either the defective stripes, scoop or rusty hood pins (I took my own dig pics to show the best angles, problem areas, etc.) and just handed the Body Shop Manager a disc to make his job alot easier and make him happy (er). They then have to submit for warranty replacement and get approval through Shelby Automobiles (Ford Racing if its any mechanical components since the suspension, intake, etc. are all Ford Racing components).

I stopped by the showroom and let the sales manager know what was going on and asked him to follow-up with the body shop the next day to make sure they had processed the claim(s). No problems with honoring the warranty; did take about three weeks each to get the stripes and hood scoop in.

DougsBadBlackMustang

You will need to go through the dealer you purchased from. Go to the body shop. They will need to submit pics of either the defective stripes, scoop or rusty hood pins (I took my own dig pics to show the best angles, problem areas, etc.) and just handed the Body Shop Manager a disc to make his job alot easier and make him happy (er). They then have to submit for warranty replacement and get approval through Shelby Automobiles (Ford Racing if its any mechanical components since the suspension, intake, etc. are all Ford Racing components).

I stopped by the showroom and let the sales manager know what was going on and asked him to follow-up with the body shop the next day to make sure they had processed the claim(s). No problems with honoring the warranty; did take about three weeks each to get the stripes and hood scoop in.

DougsBadBlackMustang

My Dealer did just what DougsBadBlackMustang states above. SAI shipped to them and the body shop put it on. Mine took more like 5 weeks but part of it was due to time to get direction on provided tape being yellow rather than white. I had the shop paint the stripe in rather than finding vinyl shop to cut a new one. Due to picking car up at dusk, I did not get pictures yet. Michigan weather has been nasty since it went into the garage.

I am very happy with results. Will try some picture first day I am home and have daylight to work with.

DrKSGT

For all you guys reading this, I also took my Shelby GT (07) in to the Ford Dealership for the scoop/striping issues. They took pictures and Shelby approved a new scoop but turned down the stripe claim. My stripes aren't in bad shape - a few water etching type spots. But like most of these cars, it's mostly a fair weather and garaged car. So - rather than argue the point, I don't really want new stripe decals anyway.

I asked the body shop that will be replacing the scoop for an estimate to have the car's stripes painted on. He said he can go two ways: 1. Paint stripes on, it will leave an edge but will be a big improvement. 2. Paint stripes on and shoot clearcoat over the stripe and rest of car's paint. Will still be a heighth difference, but a much "softer" edge from stripe to car's surface.

What are your thoughts? And what would a reasonable cost be?

Thanks in advance.

I'm glad some of you are having good luck with your install. But as for me ,of course i got my new stripes and latest and greatest hood scoop and thought this nightmare would be over.Well,you guessed it,the dealer got the stripes on ok BUTTTTTT did a lousy install on the scoop. Someone thought you could just drill holes at random and install rivets in scoop. From the center of black stripe at back of scoop there is 14 rivets on one side and 12 on the other. Some rivets are as much as an inch difference apart in distance from each other. I told the dealer i wasn't as much concerned about how many riverts were in the scoop as being uniform from front to back. I have waited nearly 2 years for the correct scoop and now this.Dealer now wants to cover the holes with fiberglass and paint and start over. Shelby says they want pay for the dealers mistake and will not give out the paint code for the scoop. I don't expect shelby to pay for mistake . Dealer says he can match paint but why should i have a repaired scoop on account of dealer's mistake. i believe i am going to demand a new scoop from the dealer. The nightmare continues. I believe this scoop has aged me 10 years. I could understand problems with mods but this is just basics. If i only had it to do over again.

I wish i was as lucky

You can't accept that! The dealer messed up the scoop! They will have to order a new one and PAY the full price for one. DO NOT ACCEPT less than that. If they try get the name and number of the Ford Regional Manager and call Ford Customer Care. The dealer will have to order a new one out of pocket. It's not like they didn't have one as a guide! They also ignored the included directions!

I would be calling everyone and their grandmother on this!

Gawd that makes me so angry!

I was hoping you would chime in. i'm going to go by there tomorrow and tell them to order another one.i'm tired of being a nice guy. I already paid to much for this car to start with and to have this look like Sanford and Sons is unacceptable. I've put every new and improved scoop that has come out which makes this the 4th scoop besides the original. After waiting this long there is no reason for this to be roughshod. Thanks for the encouragement.

I just submitted my order for a new hood scoop and stripes because mine is a daily driver and I can see the stripes already getting discolored. The dealer submitted my order but so did I to the ford warranty site and got a reply from Jon. I just wanted to make sure all of my ducks are in a row hence the follow up email + pics with Ford Racing warranty. I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well. So who at SAI has the final say of approving the new scoop and stripes or is it only Ford Racing has a say in this process :headscratch:

The dealer was pretty good about submitting the order and working with me.

Pics of my hoodscoop....

DSC04189.jpg

DSC04184.jpg

DSC04169.jpg

DSC04167.jpg

DSC04165.jpg

DSC04164.jpg

DSC04168.jpg

DSC04166.jpg

You can't accept that! The dealer messed up the scoop! They will have to order a new one and PAY the full price for one. DO NOT ACCEPT less than that. If they try get the name and number of the Ford Regional Manager and call Ford Customer Care. The dealer will have to order a new one out of pocket. It's not like they didn't have one as a guide! They also ignored the included directions!

I would be calling everyone and their grandmother on this!

Gawd that makes me so angry!

+1000 but I would do one more thing as well. I would demand a new hood as you now have a bunch of worthless holes in the hood that won't match up when installed correctly. Just remember, they are the trained technicians and when the screw up it's on them. Stand your ground and good luck. Craig :banghead:

+1000 but I would do one more thing as well. I would demand a new hood as you now have a bunch of worthless holes in the hood that won't match up when installed correctly. Just remember, they are the trained technicians and when the screw up it's on them. Stand your ground and good luck. Craig :banghead:

Good point about the hood!

Good point about the hood!

yeah i bet that hood looks like swiss cheese under the scoop now :o

i like to have the new fiber glass scoop put on but i already had my SGT in the Ford body shop for 2 1/2 months waiting for my hail damage repaired. i dont want to go through that misery again.

if i do any scoop replacement i'd rather take it to a high end body shop where i know they take pride in thier work and do it right the first time, but i dont know if SAI will ok it. or will they?

yeah i bet that hood looks like swiss cheese under the scoop now :o

i like to have the new fiber glass scoop put on but i already had my SGT in the Ford body shop for 2 1/2 months waiting for my hail damage repaired. i dont want to go through that misery again.

if i do any scoop replacement i'd rather take it to a high end body shop where i know they take pride in thier work and do it right the first time, but i dont know if SAI will ok it. or will they?

my understanding is that the labor is actually handled thru Ford warranty, not Shelby. SAI just provides the scoop. My dealer won't touch the car simply because they have no body shop so I just get my body shop to do the work and sent the dealer the bill. The dealer in turn paid the body shop of my choice for the labor to install. Craig

12/16/08

Doug

DougsBadBlackMustang

CSM# 07SGT5501

i've had mine few months now and i can see rippling on driver side from front to back to about 1/2 way up on side of scoop! anyone else>? i'll try to take take pics and see if it shows, will visit dealer after holidays

My car's in the shop for the stripes / scoop issue. I assumed it would be a direct match up, but it's not. According to Jon @ Ford Performance Group, the vendor for the original urethane scoops pre-drilled, or at least indented the rivet hole spacing. The fiberglass scopes are slightly larger and require the dealer to drill 25 new (additional) holes in your hood outside the 25 original holes (for a 2008). The new scoops are not pre-marked or pre-drilled so the dealer must be very careful when installing. This doesn't sound like a good solution to me... 50 holes in my hood.

They force your hand too... either accept the new scoop and 25 additional holes, or you're required to sign a waiver agreeing to no further stripe or scoop warranty coverage if you ask them to put the old scoop back on.

As far as replacing your hood - with a new Mustang GT hood you will lose your Shelby emissions sticker that covers the OEM Ford emissions sticker on the underside of the front edge of the hood. I imagine they are not going to give you a new emissions sticker and this may have the effect of diminishing the value of the car... so does drilling 25 additional holes in my hood though.

How many have opted out and bought the CS-6 hood? It's $750 from SPP, but that's unpainted and non-striped. I'm just wondering how much it will be for the hood, paint, stripes, and new hood pin plates. Anyone who's done it willing to share?

Thanks,

Matt

My car's in the shop for the stripes / scoop issue. I assumed it would be a direct match up, but it's not. According to Jon @ Ford Performance Group, the vendor for the original urethane scoops pre-drilled, or at least indented the rivet hole spacing. The fiberglass scopes are slightly larger and require the dealer to drill 25 new (additional) holes in your hood outside the 25 original holes (for a 2008). The new scoops are not pre-marked or pre-drilled so the dealer must be very careful when installing. This doesn't sound like a good solution to me... 50 holes in my hood.

They force your hand too... either accept the new scoop and 25 additional holes, or you're required to sign a waiver agreeing to no further stripe or scoop warranty coverage if you ask them to put the old scoop back on.

As far as replacing your hood - with a new Mustang GT hood you will lose your Shelby emissions sticker that covers the OEM Ford emissions sticker on the underside of the front edge of the hood. I imagine they are not going to give you a new emissions sticker and this may have the effect of diminishing the value of the car... so does drilling 25 additional holes in my hood though.

How many have opted out and bought the CS-6 hood? It's $750 from SPP, but that's unpainted and non-striped. I'm just wondering how much it will be for the hood, paint, stripes, and new hood pin plates. Anyone who's done it willing to share?

Thanks,

Matt

I had mine done and it looks great!

The new scoop is made of a MUCH higher quality material. I was assured by my private body shop, that restores cars for the Volvo Museum, that the addition of the additional 25 little holes does nothing to the integrity of the overall hood. Get it done!

Nothing has even been done to your hood and you're already looking to spend almost $2000 in total on a CS-6 hood?

I just submitted my order for a new hood scoop and stripes because mine is a daily driver and I can see the stripes already getting discolored. The dealer submitted my order but so did I to the ford warranty site and got a reply from Jon. I just wanted to make sure all of my ducks are in a row hence the follow up email + pics with Ford Racing warranty. I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well. So who at SAI has the final say of approving the new scoop and stripes or is it only Ford Racing has a say in this process :headscratch:

The dealer was pretty good about submitting the order and working with me.

Pics of my hoodscoop....

DSC04189.jpg

DSC04184.jpg

DSC04169.jpg

DSC04167.jpg

DSC04165.jpg

DSC04164.jpg

DSC04168.jpg

DSC04166.jpg

a jumbo jet can fly under those gaps while doin a barrel role

:ohsnap:

I had mine done and it looks great!

The new scoop is made of a MUCH higher quality material. I was assured by my private body shop, that restores cars for the Volvo Museum, that the addition of the additional 25 little holes does nothing to the integrity of the overall hood. Get it done!

Nothing has even been done to your hood and you're already looking to spend almost $2000 in total on a CS-6 hood?

Jeff,

Any concerns with the aluminum corroding from within the extra open holes? Aluminum doesn't rust, but it can corrode... take a look at former wheel weight attachment points on a 10 year old car in the midwest after the salt has begun eating at the pits. Any extra water getting to the top of your engine or up under the hood liner? My car it's a DD, but I'm still a bit worried about both, as well as the potential diminished value of the car as mine is very low mileage (I will average less than 1000 miles per year) and bought it to hang onto for years to come.

Thanks,

Matt

a jumbo jet can fly under those gaps while doin a barrel role

:ohsnap:

LOL!!!!!! :hysterical: ....yeah, that is why I had to take it finally, it bugged my when others at a recent show pointed it out and I tried playing it off but deep down inside I was like :censored: someone noticed it so now I have to go get it done, I wanted to stay as original as possible down to the scoop...so again, what happens to these old scoops when returned? I really want mine and have it signed. Amy SAI please give us some light on this-how about if we pre pay for it to be signed can we get it back? It goes to a great cause.....anyone who agrees please chime in.....

Jeff,

Any concerns with the aluminum corroding from within the extra open holes? Aluminum doesn't rust, but it can corrode... take a look at former wheel weight attachment points on a 10 year old car in the midwest after the salt has begun eating at the pits. Any extra water getting to the top of your engine or up under the hood liner? My car it's a DD, but I'm still a bit worried about both, as well as the potential diminished value of the car as mine is very low mileage (I will average less than 1000 miles per year) and bought it to hang onto for years to come.

Thanks,

Matt

The open holes are covered by the vinyl striping and then the scoop on top of that, then there is the inner layer of the hood and blanket underneath.

If it's a concern have the shop put some paint or other protecting cover over them. I mean who cares how they look you're never (knock on the scoop) you're never going to to see them again.

The majority of the holes, if not all of them, in the 08, are on the outer layer of the hood only and they do not penetrate the inner layer but even if the new ones to to prevent hood pinching, again you can paint and again they are covered.

But regardless, in the end, there is no water seal around the holes today and just because there is a rivet in it, if your scenario is a concern, isn't going to make too much of a difference. Add to that you're driving less than 1000 miles a year and I think you're creating a problem in your head that even if it were to happen it will happen to all of us and a new hood will always be available and you can figure out how best to deal with it then.

But hey, it's your money and if it makes you happy go for it!

Archived