TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Stripes Thread

I have a question regarding warranty in Europe. I love my Shelby, but the stripes and the hood scoop are a disgrace for the car. I am very angry that a company can sell a car where the stripes come off and the hood looks like...well you know. I want to have this things fixed.

Unluckily, the car is with me here in Switzerland. So what can I do? My dealer here can't claim warranty. But he can get the parts and I'll pay for them (btw, how much does a replacement hood scoop cost?)

It seems there are some people here who have some knowledge in warranty processes. By chance, does somebody know a way how I could, at least, get the parts on warranty? Through a dealer in US? To make things clear: It is not only about the money, but I might feel ripped off when I have to pay for parts which left the factory broken. It somehow casts a shadow on the usually very shiny name Shelby.

However, I still owe you some pics of my SGT3753 here in good old Europe. Attached two pics from the St.Gotthard pass in the Swiss alps. Although the sky is not perfect, it was one of the best rides which my baby and me had together so far. She is built for this roads!

post-21541-1229595393_thumb.jpg

post-21541-1229595401_thumb.jpg

post-21541-1229595393_thumb.jpg

post-21541-1229595401_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the phone # I have called it two times but have not spoken to John yet . They seem to think that's the fading and spoting are normal in our state. I guess all of the sun (have to drive it sometimes in the sun and not always at night, desert you know). I may have to wait for it to start coming off the car to get it fixed. It looks like hell (the stipes not the car).

Thanks for the phone # I have called it two times but have not spoken to John yet . They seem to think that's the fading and spoting are normal in our state. I guess all of the sun (have to drive it sometimes in the sun and not always at night, desert you know). I may have to wait for it to start coming off the car to get it fixed. It looks like hell (the stipes not the car).

Why wouldn't that be a "materials" issue? Shouldn't a reasonable person expect to be able to drive their car in the sun and not have a problem? It is after all a car and cars are driven outside...there is sun outside and sometimes there is rain. So why then do 08 cars NOT experience this problem to the same degree as the 07s? Different material maybe? The 08 cars sit and drive in the same sun and go through the same rain storms yet they are not experiencing these problems. Sure sounds like a materials issues to me! :finger:

Thats BS. My car had no tearing or bubbling of the stripes, only water spots, and they were replaced under warranty, no questions asked. Doesn't matter where you live. The stripes are warrantied for 3yrs/36,000 miles no matter where you live. You shouldn't have to live with this. Your definitely gettin' the run-around!!

Edited by tekheavy

Thats BS. My car had no tearing or bubbling of the stripes, only water spots, and they were replaced under warranty, no questions asked. Doesn't matter where you live. The stripes are warrantied for 3yrs/36,000 miles no matter where you live. You shouldn't have to live with this. Your definitely gettin' the run-around!!

Did your car have more than 12000 mi when they replaced the stripes?

Did your car have more than 12000 mi when they replaced the stripes?

No, It didn't, but it didn't matter in my case. The dealer I brought my car to was aware of the Shelby warranty and so was whoever he called at Shelby to have them send the replacement stripes.

Edited by tekheavy

No, It didn't, but it didn't matter in my case. The dealer I brought my car to was aware of the Shelby warranty and so was whoever he called at Shelby to have them send the replacement stripes.

I talked to my salesman and he is having the same problem with the stripes. He's had his more than 1yr also. The only diff. is his is Black and mine is White! I feel I should campout on the door step like the stepchild.

I have 07sgt0433. It only has 7400 miles and has had the stripes replaced about 4 times now for various problems to include the water spots and the wrinkles. After several calls by my dealer to Ford I called Ford Racing. I spoke with a few different guys and finally had enough. They hooked me up with Mitchell as he was the head of the Shelby warranty group. He told me that the stripes and hood scoop are warrantied for 3 years or 36,000. They will replace both items as many times as it takes during those 3 yrs. He is aware of the stripe problem and that they have since made the stripes thicker. That is what caused the wrinkle problem.

Bottom line don't take no from the dealer as most do not know what they are talking about when it comes to these cars.

Agree, you have to take charge yourself sometimes as i have had to with my scoop. The dealers know very little about these cars or the warrantys. The dealers want all the profits but don't want to know there products. Isn't it amazing all the problems we've had with the scoops and stripes with these cars. I have had my car in the shop more than any car i have ever owned. I'm glad this is not a daily driver. I wouldn't be able to afford a rental car for as long as i have had my car in the shop. If i had it to do over again i would have just kept my money in my pocket. I am still trying to get my scoop right. I finally got a good one and the dealer messed it up. He will probably mess up my stripes on reinstall.

I have 07sgt0433. It only has 7400 miles and has had the stripes replaced about 4 times now for various problems to include the water spots and the wrinkles. After several calls by my dealer to Ford I called Ford Racing. I spoke with a few different guys and finally had enough. They hooked me up with Mitchell as he was the head of the Shelby warranty group. He told me that the stripes and hood scoop are warrantied for 3 years or 36,000. They will replace both items as many times as it takes during those 3 yrs. He is aware of the stripe problem and that they have since made the stripes thicker. That is what caused the wrinkle problem.

Bottom line don't take no from the dealer as most do not know what they are talking about when it comes to these cars.

Again, it is NOT the dealers when it comes to what is covered. They are telling you what they have been told. There is some confusion it seems but make no mistake, dealers WANT warranty work in this environment. Warranty work is money to them not always as much as they want, but better than guys standing around with nothing to do.

If your dealer is told no, YOU need to get on the phone and call Ford Racing yourself.

Again, it is NOT the dealers when it comes to what is covered. They are telling you what they have been told. There is some confusion it seems but make no mistake, dealers WANT warranty work in this environment. Warranty work is money to them not always as much as they want, but better than guys standing around with nothing to do.

If your dealer is told no, YOU need to get on the phone and call Ford Racing yourself.

I just called ford racing(three times in the last week). They said their office is closed because of weather and they will open back up on monday. They didn't want water spots on their stripes ! Maybe monday I can talk to John and get something going.Hope so .You would think they would want is many happy cust. as possible.It's not like we wouldn't buy more cars in the future.

Well according to the Warranty manual the stripes are not covered for water spotting just like they wont cover chips in the paint from rocks.

Now if the stripes were peeling or wrinkled it appears that would be covered as a defect.

Listening to Bill Ford in the background on Larry King Live as I type this. Larry just cut off a phone caller who was complaining to Bill about how Ford killed their Nebraska dealership.

Steve

These, in my opinion which means nothing, should be covered under the materials clause of the warranty. There are some 07 cars that I believe have substandard material! How else can you explain after 4 months my hood with 08 stripes was fine while the roof and rear deck with 07 stripe material were just terrible! Same conditions, different material, different result.

You should be able to buy a car that can be driven in RAIN!!!!

You don't see 08s or GT500s with the problem in the volume the 07 cars do! Go into the GT500 forum and search for stripes! Not one NOT ONE topic on damaged stripes due to "acid rain" or some other such nonsense. Not a one!

Problem for Ford is if every 07 was redone it would cost somewhere around $4 million in material and labor.

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

You would think that they wouldn't want their name on a car that look's like they do with the bad stripes . They know it look's bad. If I was Shelby or Ford I would make it look good just to sell more cars which makes me more money. Maybe thats what they need are people that care.

You really think Shelby deliberately put the stripes on knowing they were going to be a problem??? Come on now!! <_<

You really think Shelby deliberately put the stripes on knowing they were going to be a problem??? Come on now!! <_<

I'm sure they didn't know about the stripes or they wouldn't have done it. But they can do the right thing and make it right within the 36/36 warranty. That's good business. Spend some money to make even more money :doh:

I for one don't think so and I don't think the buck stops with SAI but rather who ever sold them stripes to begin with. I wonder if we could go after ORCAL as a manufacturer and their warranty?

http://www.oracal.com/knowledge/contact-support.asp

http://www.oracal.com/knowledge/general-warranty.asp

BTW: Enclosed is their care information!

Care_Maintenance_vehicle_graphics_0808.pdf

Care_Maintenance_vehicle_graphics_0808.pdf

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

so if they know there is problem so they made them thicker hoping to solve it and problems still exists, whats happens after 3yrs is up and problems are still there?

so if they know there is problem so they made them thicker hoping to solve it and problems still exists, whats happens after 3yrs is up and problems are still there?

The wrinkle problem was caused NOT by faulty stripes but by the first generation rivet mounted hood scoop that moves and flexes with changes in temperature.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I am on my 4th set of stripes, now my roof is totally yellow while rest of car stripes looking like pepperoni pizza, been 3 weeks since i went to dealer now shelby want more photos. where does this leave us as owners with an on going issue that obviously will continue past the 3yr warranty which is getting close. is shelby still liable to take care of issue since stripe issues happened since the beginning?

I am on my 4th set of stripes, now my roof is totally yellow while rest of car stripes looking like pepperoni pizza, been 3 weeks since i went to dealer now shelby want more photos. where does this leave us as owners with an on going issue that obviously will continue past the 3yr warranty which is getting close. is shelby still liable to take care of issue since stripe issues happened since the beginning?

I would take the stripes and the car to an auto graphics shop and have them do the work with the dealer paying the shop the Ford $$$ and you paying anything above what Ford pays out of pocket.

That's what I did, but in my case I went further, tired of the stripe quality, I had the shop totally re-stripe the car with material of their choosing that matched the color. These stripes come with a 5 year warranty and I'm done! It's cost me $600 and I had the dealer send the Ford money to the stripe shop.

Good luck!

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

Would you mind letting me know which dealer you've been using?

Only the front stripes were replaced after the accident, now the roof is almost brown, and I'd like to avoid driving all over Orange County looking for someone who knows what's going on. I'm assuming that's what "the OC" refers to.

thanks

Would you mind letting me know which dealer you've been using?

Only the front stripes were replaced after the accident, now the roof is almost brown, and I'd like to avoid driving all over Orange County looking for someone who knows what's going on. I'm assuming that's what "the OC" refers to.

thanks

Like this?

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42158

Do you garage your car?

Like this?

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42158

Do you garage your car?

I garage it at night, but it's a daily driver. It was also evident to some degree on the lot.

Seems a little strange that someone sells a product to be used outdoors, yet claims environmental circumstances are to be avoided?

Here is a new and ridiculous answer from SAI in regards to the stripe problem. After sending in photos that were requested, my dealer just received a reply from Shelby stating:

" the stripes are only warrantied to the original owner. Since the original owner is Hertz and your customer is the second owner, the stripe problem is not covered under warranty"

I've been following this thread for a while and I've seen some asinine responses to avoid taking care of a substandard product but I thought this answer was unique and ridiculous all in one. I take this to mean that if it was still owned by the original owner, SAI would have no problem fixing the stripes under warranty.

Keep in mind that my GT-H was manufactured in May of 07 so the new response has nothing to do with the crazy 1yr 12000 mile statement of old.

I still love the car but I cringe thinking that I will have to have these stripes painted on and eliminating the "original" tag to my shelby. It's too bad the vinyl company made such a crappy product. All of the local vinyl companies give 5yr warranties......go figure