TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Stripes Thread

• 3 months later...

On three of my 4 Shelby GT's I have had the stripes painted on. We just recently acquired a Hertz Vert and when they go bad we will have them done as well. I had them masked off to replicate the factory stripes to include around the washer on the hood. The only thing I did differently was had them paint through the rear license plate area and run the stripe through the plate. If they had been painted on at the factory, I am sure they would have been done that way (to save time) and if you look at any of the 1/18 models you will see they were done on the model that way. The tape goes around the plate because it was fast and avoided wrinkles and cutting issues. I had them masked identically to the original stripe stopping short of the trim around the windows just as the original tape stripes were done. I had the paint matched perfectly and then clear over so they will last for years to come. Mine have a ridge just as the tape does so they look just like the vinyl...The side stripes hold up better as they do not get the heat and sun so I left them tape from the factory. If you look at my cars the only thing you will notice is the stripes are shinier.

I blew a ton of money and time fooling with warranty claims and such on my cars. The oldest, our 07 White car went bad in two years with the new and improved stripes. Don't waste your time, go get them painted. With the new computer paint technology they can match the color and your car will look great for years to come. I really doubt that paint vs tape is going to change the value of these cars and if anything the cars with painted stripes for sale seem to be bringing a stronger number....or at least they will be easier to sell as any Shelby enthusiast knows about the stripe problem.

Corvette came out with a Silver stripe on its 427...was talking with the Corvette group at Carlisle two years ago. My wife suggested they Google Shelby stripe problem and the Corvette guy just about pooped a brick when he read it on his phone....they got a warranty problem coming big time as one of the test cars was already showing signs of the deterioration. Silver and gold vinyl do not hold up well in the heat and sun.

Just my 22 cents worth...Bobert

Bobert,

Yeah...the metallic are problematic especially when horizontal. You REALLY need to take special care with them or they will get bad fast. Once they do there's nothing you can do short of replacing them. if you're not of the mind to do that then painting is your best option and yours sound well done!

-Jeff

• 6 months later...

Now i just need to find a shop in San Diego that wont rip me off and i will have mine painted on. The stripes tend to fade.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

After years of fading, I am replacing vinyl stripes. Got another set for free. But the old stripes are "melted" into the paint on the bumper. No edges left. They turned sorta brownish.  Just the bumpers. I have a vinyl shop friend try everything. He has never seen this happen. He said putting new vinyl over old won't work either. We tried and it just blew off. We may have to sand the bumpers down. It's wierd. Any ideas?

5 hours ago, SWEDEMAN said:

Question:

I’m struggling to find exact width of the trunk silver stripe on a factory 2007 Shelby GT?

Is it 9” sharp or 9 1/8 or?

Thx.

I have some it is 9” with 1” between stripes.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:39 PM, SWEDEMAN said:

Question:

I’m struggling to find exact width of the trunk silver stripe on a factory 2007 Shelby GT?

Is it 9” sharp or 9 1/8 or?

Thx.

Swede - I measured the width of my original stripes last night and they are 9 inches with 1 inch space in the between them.

Dave

Any good professional auto graphics shop should be able to order the material and cut the stripes. There are multiple cutting machine templates for the mustang and more than a few can be used to simplify the process with minor modifications.

If you care to read back you will find tips, tricks, the difficulty most auto shops have maintaining 1” space, especially the hood, and difficulties in removal and approaches to it.

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

10 hours ago, JeffIsHereToo said:

Any good professional auto graphics shop should be able to order the material and cut the stripes. There are multiple cutting machine templates for the mustang and more than a few can be used to simplify the process with minor modifications.

If you care to read back you will find tips, tricks, the difficulty most auto shops have maintaining 1” space, especially the hood, and difficulties in removal and approaches to it.

Thanks for the info and  also where to find more info if needed in the future for our Shelby's stripes! 

Later!

"MONGOOSE"   :peelout:

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Ok are we ready for crazy, I called Shelby performance parts yesterday about getting replacement stripes for my SGT , they quoted me...hold on to your hats people, 868.50 for just the LeMans stripes, or 950.00 with the side stripes included. This is not installed on the car this is just the price for the stripes themselves... I'm sorry but that is nuts, for that money I will just get them painted on.

1 hour ago, Shelby N.Y. said:

Ok are we ready for crazy, I called Shelby performance parts yesterday about getting replacement stripes for my SGT , they quoted me...hold on to your hats people, 868.50 for just the LeMans stripes, or 950.00 with the side stripes included. This is not installed on the car this is just the price for the stripes themselves... I'm sorry but that is nuts, for that money I will just get them painted on.

winner winner chicken dinner.........paint um on

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My 08SGT got rear ended in traffic, hit by a jerk going about 5 mph in an Nissan Sentra. He hit the box where the rear license plate is and scratched the stripe on the bumper, the bumper and even dented my (collectors item) Shelby GT license plate frame. And I should probably make his insurance buy me a new plate, and tags!

I got one estimate and it looks like it includes a stripe replacement for the rear bumper - Part # 8R3Z6320000ME.

But that googles up a stripe in Oxford White, not Satin Silver. There are others in Vista Blue, Ebony and other colors.

Here's an example:

https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/Ford__/Stripe-Tape-Order-through-dealer-kit-DECAL---Trim-Wire/53448480/8R3Z6320000ME.html

And that appears to be $111 for just that one part of the kit.

Anyone have the correct part # for Satin Silver?

Is this it?

https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/Ford__/Stripe-Tape-kit-DECAL--Trim--Order-through-dealer/54296495/7R3Z6320001MA.html

I'm asking because the part # here is 7R3Z6320001MA. Why does it start with a 7? Is that because it's the same ones as used on the 2007 SGT?

I was hoping to sell this car soon and wanted to leave it up the the next owner to decide whether to re-stripe or paint. The good news is that the silver stripe that is now torn was in great condition, so hopefully it won't look any worse than it did before it was hit.

Thanks all!

20190531_102448sm.jpg