TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stripe Waxing. Do you wax your stripes for protection?

shelbymotorsports

Stripe Waxing  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you apply wax to your stripes?

• Yes
    • No

I used the Turtle Wax Ice in Paste form for the first wax and then the spray detailer as required. Seems like the water wants to jump off the car after washing. I have the Black strips and was worried about swirl marks and with a MicroFiber cloth, I have not had a problem. 4700 Miles later it still looks new!!! I was so impressed with the Turtle Wax Ice we put in on our 06 vert as well as the liquid claybar treatment and paste wax on our Fiberglass sided camper. Its an 04 and I have several people comment on how it still looks new!!!!

Some Companies say it is OK to wax Vinyl Stripes BUT........ Several Years ago I read many Articles that said NOT to Wax Vinly graphics on Cars because the Vinyl has to Breath. If you Wax it, it puts a seal on it keeping it from Breathing and insuring that it will Crack. I have also learned that the factory Vinyl Graphics are NOT High Performance Vinyl but rather the cheaper vinyl, but the good side to being the Cheaper Vinyl is that it is easier to Remove it, just Pick & Peel. Some Companies say it is OK to Wax Vinyl Graphics, I still say Dont Do It.

David.

I use Adams polish only on the stripes and detail spray in-between details. When I wax with the Porter Cable, there is some overlap onto the striping, I don't really think about it. I can't notice any difference over a year now. I think next time, I'll run the waxx all the way across.

As a note, never "wash" my car with water... California duster and Adams Detail spray betwwen details.

Dan

Yes absolutely, and 3M tells you to do so. I use Smart Wax because of it's UV protection, and then follow up with Aerospace Protectant 303 for added UV protection.

I use Adams polish only on the stripes and detail spray in-between details. When I wax with the Porter Cable, there is some overlap onto the striping, I don't really think about it. I can't notice any difference over a year now. I think next time, I'll run the waxx all the way across.

As a note, never "wash" my car with water... California duster and Adams Detail spray betwwen details.

Dan

Did you say you never wash your car with Water??? Detailer and the duster can just do soooo much.

I understand the spotting but if you wash it correctly there should be no ill effects?

No, I use Turtle Wax ICE on the entire car. Paint, Stripes and black trim. Best and easiest to use product I have ever used.

Ditto. Ice works on the entire car except for the convertible top. All paint and plastic parts, including the stripes. That's what I like about it - no residue and easy to work with. I happen to like the paste version instead of the liquid. I think this part might be a "what you grew up with" influenced factor though.

I've never waxed mine. I've owned RV's for years and the RV companies always recommended against waxing the vinyl graphics, stating that, over time, there could be yellowing of the vinyl and buildup of wax at the stripe edges. So, to play it safe, I don't wax, but instead use a UV protectant called "303". My stripes still look fantastic so far. I guess we'll find out whose doing the right thing after 10 years!

So info from vinyl graphic websites....

http://www.customvinylgraphics.com/care-vinyl-graphics.aspx

http://www.galanova.com/galanovavinyl.pdf

http://www.oracal.com/products/_docs/prod-...aphics_0808.pdf

In my search, I also came across this product that claims to remove spots, etc.....

http://www.diamondite.com/marine-rv-vinyl-care.html

Did you say you never wash your car with Water??? Detailer and the duster can just do soooo much.

I understand the spotting but if you wash it correctly there should be no ill effects?

Since my car is not my DD, I never drive it the rain etc... It doesn't really get "dirty".

The worst is when the wider tires kick up road grime.

It definitely looks better now than when it was brand new.

Archived