TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Attached on The Hood How?

I have a couple very minor stripe flaws right at the edge of the scoop, looks like it got twisted or something under there. Anyway how is the scoop attached, by all those rivits, or just a couple rivits or is there just a couple bolts that are under the hood heat pad? Anyway no desire to dealer mess around with my hood etc just wanted to see if it comes off easy enough without drilling rivits out. Thanks for any input.

It depends on which scoop variation you have. There are several. It's either:

1. attached with 8 bolts through the hood,

2. attached with 8 bolts through the hood and two screws through the front two fake rivet holes,

3. The fake screws were removed and it's attached with real rivets,

or

4. Some other variation I am not aware of.....

Probably attached with rivets. There are suppose to be 25 rivets drilled into the newest scoops. Take the hood blanket off the hood and you will be able to tell whether there is 8 bolts or rivets holding scoop on. If it is rivets and you still want to change the stripe then i would take it to a dealer and see about changing scoop and stripes under warranty. The latest scoop is all fiberglass as it should have been from the factory. Good luck.

Hey Radical - I recently "inspected" under the hood of my SGT - my scoop is held on by 6 large bolts, 2 small bolts (at the front edge), and 1 rivet! I think that most are variations on this theme - some with more or all rivets, some with fewer bolts.

I've contacted Chip Beck (see "Absolute Final Hood Scoop Fix" thread) about replacing with the Heath/Beck version. I haven't committed to anything yet, just studying options. I'm thinking I will also go ahead and have the local dealer order the SAI scoop, and then compare before finalizing anything.

Since we're in the same neighborhood - if you want, contact me and we can compare notes.

By the way, I discovered that one of those forked golf divet tool's works really well to remove the pesky plastic pins that hold the hood blanket on, without damage!

Sam

AKA:

Hey Radical - I recently "inspected" under the hood of my SGT - my scoop is held on by 6 large bolts, 2 small bolts (at the front edge), and 1 rivet! I think that most are variations on this theme - some with more or all rivets, some with fewer bolts.

I've contacted Chip Beck (see "Absolute Final Hood Scoop Fix" thread) about replacing with the Heath/Beck version. I haven't committed to anything yet, just studying options. I'm thinking I will also go ahead and have the local dealer order the SAI scoop, and then compare before finalizing anything.

Since we're in the same neighborhood - if you want, contact me and we can compare notes.

By the way, I discovered that one of those forked golf divet tool's works really well to remove the pesky plastic pins that hold the hood blanket on, without damage!

Sam

AKA:

You have the first generation scoop with the revised mounting common in mid to later production 2007 cars. Early 2007 cars do not have the two bolts up front for example.

Go to your dealer and file a claim for the new scoop and get it installed.

I have a couple very minor stripe flaws right at the edge of the scoop, looks like it got twisted or something under there. Anyway how is the scoop attached, by all those rivits, or just a couple rivits or is there just a couple bolts that are under the hood heat pad? Anyway no desire to dealer mess around with my hood etc just wanted to see if it comes off easy enough without drilling rivits out. Thanks for any input.

You need to have the scoop AND the stripes replaced. Go file warranty claim.

You have the first generation scoop with the revised mounting common in mid to later production 2007 cars. Early 2007 cars do not have the two bolts up front for example.

Go to your dealer and file a claim for the new scoop and get it installed.

Thanks Jeff! Yes I plan on filing the claim, I've sat on the fence long enough!

Sam

AKA:

Archived