TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Making The Hood Scoop Functional

12/15/08

Has anyone out there made their SGT Hood Scoop Functional? I am about to install the new scoop and have thought about this. Obviously not a ram air effect for a carb car, but would certainly push cooler air into the engine compartment, around the S/C, etc. When taking off the hood blanket, our GT hoods have the open area - skin only that could be cut, then dremeled and paint the edges or use a rubber door bump trim to edge the cut. I think there would be much less buffeting of the hood and scoop; instead of catching, stopping and deflecting all of the air about 1" in the scoop with the fake honeycomb plastic, the only air hitting the scoop would be on the front edge. I could either remove the front cover or drill individual holes in the honeycomb to open up but still have a foreign object catcher.

Thanks for any input. I had an '04 Mach 1 that had the hood opening. If it has been done on the SGT by members on the Forum I could not find it with the search engine.

12/15/08

Has anyone out there made their SGT Hood Scoop Functional? I am about to install the new scoop and have thought about this. Obviously not a ram air effect for a carb car, but would certainly push cooler air into the engine compartment, around the S/C, etc. When taking off the hood blanket, our GT hoods have the open area - skin only that could be cut, then dremeled and paint the edges or use a rubber door bump trim to edge the cut. I think there would be much less buffeting of the hood and scoop; instead of catching, stopping and deflecting all of the air about 1" in the scoop with the fake honeycomb plastic, the only air hitting the scoop would be on the front edge. I could either remove the front cover or drill individual holes in the honeycomb to open up but still have a foreign object catcher.

Thanks for any input. I had an '04 Mach 1 that had the hood opening. If it has been done on the SGT by members on the Forum I could not find it with the search engine.

We did this a long time ago on our 73 Mach 1 with the Ram-Air hood without Ram-Air so we drilled some holes in the honeycomb, but on the Shelby GT hood not sure if the hoodscoop will stay attached with the forced air coming in? Been looking at my Shelby GT to do the same thing but haven't done anything yet.

like this? Not functional, but I like it. I drove car the other day and was amazed how much heat came out the scoop once I parked it.....

here's an update on the "scoop project". As I posted earlier, the plan was to cut the hood opening like Chip Beck had suggested. Altough this is relatively easy to do, it was gut wrenching to watch this. Anyway, now it's done and I know some had recently posted questions regarding rain getting in thru the opening. I think Chip did an excellent job of answering that question, but I went one step farther. I happened to notice that laying in my garage was a perfect peice of weatherstip for my '67 project car. The part no. is 03110-1A for 65-68 Mustang. Available at NPD for $12.95. This weatherstrip has a very good seal to hood on the leading edge which I fit/cut then tacked with 3M w/s. Painters tape was used to hold in place until dry. I trimmed the two outside top corners at an angle to match the angle on the inside of the scoop so with the scoop in place it seals at the leading edge of the hood panel and at the sides of the scoop itself. There is no need to go down the sides of the hood opening. Here are some pics to show you what I am talking about which include prep of hood from underside. We used an acid etch primer followed by a 2 in 1 white primer which worked perfectly on the raw edges and rivet nuts. The last pic shows the scoop setting on the hood and as you can see it is not easy to see the seal in place. This was the SAI scoop replacement and I removed the 3 nuts holding the blackout and then cut out the fiberglass bkt that holds the blackout. I did this because I wanted it open and if it goes bad my next scoop will come from Chip's design. Craig

post-10682-1229395393_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1229395415_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1229395433_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1229395451_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1229395469_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1229395393_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1229395415_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1229395433_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1229395451_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1229395469_thumb.jpg

12/15/08

Well I plan on doing mine in spring, all ready in contact with body shop thay will cut out rectangle as outlined by hood padding, remove or drill out plastic plug and place with screen, (grill type material) and add Super Snake extractor vents the rectangular ones. More Info and picks when finished early spring 2009.

Doug,

I did this some time ago and you can read all about it in the "Absolute Hood Scoop Final Fix" thread. Here's some photos. I made this scoop out of vinyl-ester resin fiberglass and attached it with Rivit-Nuts so I can remove and re-attach the scoop in about 10 minutes. It looks great.

Chip

post-12804-1229474389_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1229474356_thumb.jpg

I have my new Chip scoop painted and ready to install, My orginal is not bad, when it becomes a problem, I will install it and have a perfect scoop. I will not fool around with any dealers, Rick

When you gonna install my spoiler ..........................Laguna Seca was too sweet ..........the corkscrew --" over the top ", and the ride down Hwy-1 the day after 90 miles of twistys on a perfect morning with no traffic ...........the gods were shining on me ..........it was a truly religous experience ..................when I got to my house in Cambria --- I had to fix the downstairs toilet ...........almost a perfect day...........Zale

Doug,

I did this some time ago and you can read all about it in the "Absolute Hood Scoop Final Fix" thread. Here's some photos. I made this scoop out of vinyl-ester resin fiberglass and attached it with Rivit-Nuts so I can remove and re-attach the scoop in about 10 minutes. It looks great.

Chip

Chip - Thank you for the information and pics. did you - or have you since had any driving issues such as more cowl shake, etc? Did not know if putting more air into the compartment would flow air around and then out below and calm things down or make it worse. I like the extra cooling effect while driving and after shutdown, especially with the S/C. Going to be doing a few track day events after the Holidays and want to handle this whole issue correctly. Thanks for any helpful insight.

Doug

Chip - Thank you for the information and pics. did you - or have you since had any driving issues such as more cowl shake, etc? Did not know if putting more air into the compartment would flow air around and then out below and calm things down or make it worse. I like the extra cooling effect while driving and after shutdown, especially with the S/C. Going to be doing a few track day events after the Holidays and want to handle this whole issue correctly. Thanks for any helpful insight.

Doug

Doug,

Detailed answers to all of your questions can be found in my posts on the above referenced thread. In short, at speed airflow is 2-3 inches above the opening of the SGT scoop. It does not ram air into the engine compartment, it creates no hood lift or shake, and the entire surface of the hood 14 inches aft of the leading edge is non laminar flow and low pressure. The photo below shows how the airflow is well above our scoop.

Chip

post-12804-1229583907_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1229583907_thumb.jpg

Archived