TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CSM # or Ford VIN # for Ohio Title

Stuart

Greetings to all, After waiting 40 years I am happy to join you, :shift:

It is my understading that Ford Mustangs that are delivered to Shelby Automobile Inc. in Las Vegas for modification to Shelby status, are "Produced" and rebadged as Shelbys, and given a CSM number, and are no longer identified as Ford Mustangs, but as Shelbys.

I just purchased my 2007 GT-H convertible in Florida and have a Florida Hertz Title signed off to me. When I apply for title in Ohio, I am affraid the County Title Clerk will take the Florida Title and give me an Ohio Title for a Ford Mustang as listed on the Hertz Florida Title.

I want my new Ohio Title to describe my car as a Shelby GT-H using the CSM number.

Does any one have any experience and advice regarding proper application descriptions for:

Year: 2007

VIN: my CSM # or the 17 digit VIN number on the Florida Mustang title

Make: "Shelby" or "Ford"

Model: if Make is "Ford", then "Shelby GT-H" should be Model

Model Desc: If VIN is Ford 17 digit #, then CSM # should go here

Body Type: Conv or 2 door

Thank you for all you support and advice. I have a 30 day tag. If there is a Titleing Topic I should read, please point me in the right direction. I don't trust the county license clerks, so I want to go in prepared.

Stuart

It is my understading that Ford Mustangs that are delivered to Shelby Automobile Inc. in Las Vegas for modification to Shelby status, are "Produced" and rebadged as Shelbys, and given a CSM number, and are no longer identified as Ford Mustangs, but as Shelbys.

I just purchased my 2007 GT-H convertible in Florida and have a Florida Hertz Title signed off to me. When I apply for title in Ohio, I am affraid the County Title Clerk will take the Florida Title and give me an Ohio Title for a Ford Mustang as listed on the Hertz Florida Title.

I want my new Ohio Title to describe my car as a Shelby GT-H using the CSM number.

Does any one have any experience and advice regarding proper application descriptions for:

Thank you for all you support and advice. I have a 30 day tag. If there is a Titleing Topic I should read, please point me in the right direction. I don't trust the county license clerks, so I want to go in prepared.

Stuart

Because the VIN identifies the car in all DMV, law enforcement and insurance company computers. I will be surprised if they let the CSM replace the VIN. My Nevada registration slip states Shelby GT500 but then uses the Ford VIN. Let us know how it turns out for you.

I have never heard in modern times any county allowing any number other than the 17 digit vin. The CSM number is just a number assigned to your car by Shelby Las Vegas. I'm not sure about Ohio, but here, the county and state will take your old title. I just had my original title to Hertz double sided photo copied with a photo quality copier, and then had that laminated for documentation. The county had to have my title turned in to re-register the car in Colorado. Since the Ford VIN that you have was just for the Mustang produced by Ford, that is how it will be titled. As long as you have all of your Hertz and Shelby documentation, I wouldn't worry about how it is titled, as everybody is in the same boat there. Your Hertz and Shelby documentation is what proves that your car and VIN number are matched to an actual Shelby. Also, Shelby is getting near at completing the registry. Make sure and click on the link at the top of the screen and register your car to your name. Your VIN will always be known by Shelby and be in the registry, so I wouldn't worry about how it's titled in your state. Congrats on your purchase and enjoy! Also, pictures are mandatory on this site in your introduction! :)

Here's a topic in the Shelby GT discussion forum that discusses some registration and insurance info. The H is in the same boat as the SGT since it was modified by Shelby American. The GT500 is different as that car came from Ford as it is, so it is identified as a Shelby GT500 through the Ford VIN number.

SGT link

You can do a search and probably come up with some other previous discussions.

Stuart

You are stuck with the Ford Mustang GT vin number attached to the car by Ford. I can't imagine any state over riding that vin number with the CSM serial number.

Its no different from when Saleen added a serial number onto their cars or when ASC added a serial number to the Buick GNX cars. The original vun number stays with the car.

Steve

congradulations and welcome,

i titled my car in oklahoma i know the ladies that work there, i was able to get them to put shelby gt-h as the body type insteade of coupe. but no chance on the vin# being changed. i still have two to title. pics coming just had a great weekend got some pics will post soon.

Stuart

Welcome.

In MO I had to use the VIN # and Ford Conv 2dr. You might want to put in for you personalized plate at the DMV. I went with HTZ-GTH

Bob

Because the VIN identifies the car in all DMV, law enforcement and insurance company computers. I will be surprised if they let the CSM replace the VIN. My Nevada registration slip states Shelby GT500 but then uses the Ford VIN. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Thanks for the help on making replies. I am not sure if I am supposed to insert the curser in this text box to reply to you Mr. Ingram. Well now that I have replied to you as written below, I cannot find any button to "send." I'll try the "add reply" button below the emoticoms.

I have received 5 other replies and I concur with you that I will be getting a new title from the Ohio clerk with the 17 character VIN number off of the Florida Hertz Title. Maybe the make can be: "Shelby", and the Model: "GT-H."

I will let everyone know how I make out.

Thanks,

Stuart

Welcome.

In MO I had to use the VIN # and Ford Conv 2dr. You might want to put in for you personalized plate at the DMV. I went with HTZ-GTH

Bob

Bob, Thanks alot. I like the HTZ-GTH.

I have received 5 other replies with advice about titles and I concur with you that I will be getting a new title from the Ohio clerk with the 17 character VIN number off of the Florida Hertz Title. Maybe the make can be: "Shelby", and the Model: "GT-H." And the >Model Description" CSM #

I am still learning how to reply and post on this forum.

Thanks for your help with my new GTH title and registration in Ohio question.

I will let all know how this developes.

Stuart

congradulations and welcome,

i titled my car in oklahoma i know the ladies that work there, i was able to get them to put shelby gt-h as the body type insteade of coupe. but no chance on the vin# being changed. i still have two to title. pics coming just had a great weekend got some pics will post soon.

Gene Thank you for your Oklahoma input.

I have received some replies about titleing my GT-H in Ohio, and I think I will be getting a new title from the Ohio clerk with the 17 character VIN number off of the Florida Hertz Title listed on the Ohio title. Maybe I can convince the title clerk to insert "Shelby" for the Make, and insert "GT-H" for the Model, and the " CSM # for the Model Description.

I appreciate your help with my new GTH title and registration in Ohio question.

I will let all know how it works out.

Stuart

Stuart

You are stuck with the Ford Mustang GT vin number attached to the car by Ford. I can't imagine any state over riding that vin number with the CSM serial number.

Its no different from when Saleen added a serial number onto their cars or when ASC added a serial number to the Buick GNX cars. The original vun number stays with the car.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I agree with you. I have received some replies about titleing my GT-H in Ohio, and as you stated, I think I will be getting a new title from the Ohio clerk with the 17 character VIN number off of the Florida Hertz Title listed on the Ohio title. Maybe I can convince the title clerk to insert "Shelby" for the Make, and insert "GT-H" for the Model, and the " CSM # for the Model Description.

I will let all know how it works out. Thanks again Steve.

Stuart

Stuart (I like you name),

You will have to use the 17 digit VIN and it will read Ford Mustang GT. Sorry about that... Welcome to the site.

Stuart (Canton Ohio)

Hello to Stuart in Canton.

Nice picture of the two GT500s and the starter too! Is it easy to insert a picture?

I think I will be getting a new title from the Ohio clerk with the 17 character VIN number off of the Florida Hertz Title listed on the new Ohio title. Maybe I can convince the title clerk to insert "Shelby" for the Make, and insert "GT-H" for the Model, and the " CSM # for the Model Description.

Thank you Stuart. I will let all know how it works out.

Stuart

Thank you Mr. Ingram,

I am still learning this Forum system. I wonder how you inserted the picture of your car next to your ID.

I have received more replies and I feel the Ohio County Clerk will use the 17 digit VIN from the Florida title for the new Ohio title. I then hope I can convince the clerk to put "Shelby" for the Make, and "GT-H" for the Model, and the "CSM07H048" for the Model Description.

Thank you again for your help.

Stuart

In all liklihood, no matter how hard you try, you're going to end up with a title that doesn't say Shelby GT-H on it. Title clerks tend to not go for any kind of "creativity" when doing their jobs...but the upside is that insurance is VERY reasonable so long as you do not make a big deal about the Shelby thing to your agent. Good Luck. It's still a REAL Shelby no matter what the title says!

• 1 month later...

Hapy New Year to all. :shift:

I haven't had the car out yet due to ice, snow (we are now getting a foot of it) and salt.

Thanks for your advice concerning wording on my titleing in Ohio.

This is what I was able to get on my title:

ID Number: 1ZVHT85Hxxxxxxxxx

Make: FORD

Make Description: FORD

Purchase Price: $12345.67

Body Type: CN

Model: MGT

Model Description: SHELBY GTH

Coments: CONVERSION CSM07H048

I am not complaining. It looks pretty good. I got everything I wanted, just not inserted exactly like I would have typed up the title had I done it myself. I had to do a lot of pursuading through a glass partition.

I had a friend who used to interface from a car dealership with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) local Title office take me in to the BMV office. Even with her help, I just couldn't get the title clerk to understand the car is manufactured by Shelby Automobile Inc. The "MGT" is an auto fill-in generated by the 17 digit VIN number. I was able to, where I could, get her to put Shelby, GTH, delete Mustang, and put the CSM number on the Title.

Hertz dropped the ball when they registered and titled the Shelbys in Florida. Hertz did not request the first Title describe the cars as Shelbys. They were all titled as mustngs with no reference to Shelby at all. Because of the Mustang listed on the Florida title, the clerk in Ohio was confused. It has to due with rules about "pre" and "post" title registration after manufacture or converson.

Anyway, I am happy with the look my new title showing Ford Shelby GTH with CSM #.

Thanks for your advice.

Good luck to all.

Stuart

Stuart,

Hertz actually did not drop the ball when it came to original titleing. At least is the case on the 2006 cars, Hertz actually took ownership of the Mustangs from Ford as a basic Mustang GT in Las Vegas. Hertz then paid Shelby for the conversion to a Shelby GTH. So original title to Hertz from Ford would be acurate as a Mustang GT. If you have the original paperwork from Hertz, it would be interesting to verify the same happened with the 07 converts. All my original paperwork to Hertz from Ford is dated before the Shelby conversion which was invoiced to Hertz at a later date.

Hapy New Year to all. :shift:

I haven't had the car out yet due to ice, snow (we are now getting a foot of it) and salt.

Thanks for your advice concerning wording on my titleing in Ohio.

This is what I was able to get on my title:

ID Number: 1ZVHT85Hxxxxxxxxx

Make: FORD

Make Description: FORD

Purchase Price: $12345.67

Body Type: CN

Model: MGT

Model Description: SHELBY GTH

Coments: CONVERSION CSM07H048

I am not complaining. It looks pretty good. I got everything I wanted, just not inserted exactly like I would have typed up the title had I done it myself. I had to do a lot of pursuading through a glass partition.

I had a friend who used to interface from a car dealership with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) local Title office take me in to the BMV office. Even with her help, I just couldn't get the title clerk to understand the car is manufactured by Shelby Automobile Inc. The "MGT" is an auto fill-in generated by the 17 digit VIN number. I was able to, where I could, get her to put Shelby, GTH, delete Mustang, and put the CSM number on the Title.

Hertz dropped the ball when they registered and titled the Shelbys in Florida. Hertz did not request the first Title describe the cars as Shelbys. They were all titled as mustngs with no reference to Shelby at all. Because of the Mustang listed on the Florida title, the clerk in Ohio was confused. It has to due with rules about "pre" and "post" title registration after manufacture or converson.

Anyway, I am happy with the look my new title showing Ford Shelby GTH with CSM #.

Thanks for your advice.

Good luck to all.

Stuart

Stuart,

I knew they were not going to title it as a Shelby. FYI, The Shelby Mustangs have always been titled as Ford Mustangs--it's part of the Heritage. Also, the database program that Ohio and other states use do an auto fill using the VIN#--which the GT-H's start out as Mustang GTs. It is good news that they allowed you to add an additional description and comments...

Good luck and hopefully we can get together when the weather warms up.

Stuart

Stuart,

I knew they were not going to title it as a Shelby. FYI, The Shelby Mustangs have always been titled as Ford Mustangs--it's part of the Heritage. Also, the database program that Ohio and other states use do an auto fill using the VIN#--which the GT-H's start out as Mustang GTs. It is good news that they allowed you to add an additional description and comments...

Good luck and hopefully we can get together when the weather warms up.

Stuart

Even the GT500's don't say shelby on the title...every Shelby, Saleen, etc, just shows up as the year and Ford. My GT500 title says 2008 Ford, then the VIN....

Stuart,

Hertz actually did not drop the ball when it came to original titleing. At least is the case on the 2006 cars, Hertz actually took ownership of the Mustangs from Ford as a basic Mustang GT in Las Vegas. Hertz then paid Shelby for the conversion to a Shelby GTH. So original title to Hertz from Ford would be acurate as a Mustang GT. If you have the original paperwork from Hertz, it would be interesting to verify the same happened with the 07 converts. All my original paperwork to Hertz from Ford is dated before the Shelby conversion which was invoiced to Hertz at a later date.

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for your note.

I think we may be describing different paperwork as the "title."

When I wrote "I think Hertz dropped the ball on titleing in Florida" I was referring to the first original state title obtained through registration. In the case of my Shelby CSM 07H048, after receiving the car in Florida, Hertz registered the car using the Ford "Cerificate of Origin" describing a "Transfer" of a Mustang GT 2-DR CONVERT to Santa Monica Ford/Hertz Corpor in Oaklahoma City, OK. This was in March of 2007.

In June 2007, after the Shelby invoiced conversion was completed by Shelby Automobiles, Inc. in Las Vegas, the Shelby was delivered to Florida and subsequently registered and titled in Florida by Hertz Vehicles LLC in Castleberry, FL on June 18, 2007. The only information on the Florida Title is VIN, Year: 2007, Make: Ford, Body: CV, WT: 3518. There is no reference to Mustang or Shelby, although there are blank spaces which could have included Shelby and GTH in them.

It is my belief, with proper presentation, description, historical information/data, and explanation using the Shelby Invoice, and supporting documentation, confirming that these cars are manufactured/produced at Shelby Automoiles, Inc. in Las Vegas, a first title in Florida could have been written describing the car as a Shelby.

To get first titles written as we enthusiasts would like them takes an effort. I doubt the Hertz employee who registered my Shelby in Florda was concerned much with the description on the title. I doubt the Shelby Invoice was presented at the time of registration and titling. I doubt any request, presentation or argument was made.

And the same was true with the title clerk at the office in Ohio. The clerk really had no interest in cars. It seems "pleading in front of an intrested party" always helps. Unfortunately state license clerks aren't much interested.

Fortunately I was able to make a presentation and explanaion of the origin of Shelby automobiles. I am happy to have Shelby, and GTH, and CSM07H048 on my Ohio title.

Thanks for your interest, information and note.

Stuart

2007 Shelby GT-H

In all liklihood, no matter how hard you try, you're going to end up with a title that doesn't say Shelby GT-H on it. Title clerks tend to not go for any kind of "creativity" when doing their jobs...but the upside is that insurance is VERY reasonable so long as you do not make a big deal about the Shelby thing to your agent. Good Luck. It's still a REAL Shelby no matter what the title says!

You may think that is a fine way of saving a few bucks, but, if you have your car insured just as a Mustang GT, and God forbid something happens and it gets totaled. Guess what.... you are going to be paid off based on a Mustang GT and not a Shelby GT!!!!

So, saving a few dollars up front may end up costing you a few thousand in the end. But, to each their own. Just food for thought.

By the way, I am going down to California DMV tomorrow to try and register mine and am bringing a copy of what Stuart was able to get. (minus the Hertz part) Hopefully I can convince them to put Shelby somewhere on the paperwork, that would be cool. :happy feet:

Dan

I was able to have a little bit of Shelby in my European Paperwork:

Here is what the papers say:

2006 GT-H

Producer: Ford Motor Company Michigan USA

Model: Ford Mustang GT-H

Name: Mustang GT-H 4,6 – V8 Shelby

2007 GT-H Convertible

Producer: Ford Motor Company USA

Model: Shelby GT-H

Name: Shelby GT-H

So the Title clerk did improve – let’s see what he will write down if I ever get a 1966 GT-H.

You may think that is a fine way of saving a few bucks, but, if you have your car insured just as a Mustang GT, and God forbid something happens and it gets totaled. Guess what.... you are going to be paid off based on a Mustang GT and not a Shelby GT!!!!

So, saving a few dollars up front may end up costing you a few thousand in the end. But, to each their own. Just food for thought.

By the way, I am going down to California DMV tomorrow to try and register mine and am bringing a copy of what Stuart was able to get. (minus the Hertz part) Hopefully I can convince them to put Shelby somewhere on the paperwork, that would be cool. :happy feet:

Dan

Good luck Dan!

Stuart in Dayton

2007 Shelby GT-H #048

I was able to have a little bit of Shelby in my European Paperwork:

Here is what the papers say:

2006 GT-H

Producer: Ford Motor Company Michigan USA

Model: Ford Mustang GT-H

Name: Mustang GT-H 4,6 – V8 Shelby

2007 GT-H Convertible

Producer: Ford Motor Company USA

Model: Shelby GT-H

Name: Shelby GT-H

So the Title clerk did improve – let’s see what he will write down if I ever get a 1966 GT-H.

Excellent work and description. We need more Title clerks like yours.

Thanks for the post.

Stuart from Dayton

2007 Shelby GT-H #048

It seems like it's way too hard to pretend our cars aren't Mustangs. The people who "get it" will know they are special, and the people who don't will always think they are just a really cool looking Mustang...

Steve,

At some point in time I will pass my Shelby to my son, or I will sell my Shelby. I hope the same Shelby "pride of ownership" carries over to the new owner. In my case I thought about a Shelby GT350H for 40 years. Now I finally am a proud owner of a Shelby GT-H. It will be nice to give consistent Shelby title and supporting documents to the new owner.

Thanks for your comments.

Stuart in Dayton :shift:

2007 Shelby GT-H #048

Archived