TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT - 1, Charger - 0

motorjock205

Well, wife and I are heading to church this morning in the SGT, and because she was running a little behind, I'm in a bit of a hurry on the highway since it's 18 miles to our church from our hose...Nice flat, four lane, divided highway with very little traffic at all, and I'm running about 80 when I notice a Red Dodge Charger R/T coming up on me pretty hard...I come up on a slower car in the right lane and as I start to pull out to pass, the Charger blows by me and whips back over in the right hand lane. I passed the slower car and was about to pull behind the Charger when I see the soot being blown out of his tail pipes. Well, I drop the SGT down into 4th and floor it and at about 145, my wife says "How fast are we going?" I told her as we were pulling past the Charger and right as I bumped the rev limiter still in 4th gear...I shifted into 5th and just waved Bye Bye to the guy.

I had to pat my SGT on the dash as she's such a good car! I LOVE my SGT! Sure would have been nice to have a S/C though, would have made it even more fun...I really think the guy was surprised that I was able to pull him though...the look on his face was "Priceless" LOL

On the way to Church? That's downright sinful! :hysterical::hysterical:

Carl,it seems like you were in a hurry to meet your maker.You never said if you made it to church on time.We all want more h.p. but if these cars didn,t hold the road as good as they do then you couldn,t go 145 mph. These cars sure handle good. Safe driving. p.s. Leave a little early next time ,LOL

So what was your top speed in 5th?

Didn't go much farther after I passed him...Speedo only goes to 145 anyway...when I waved Bye Bye to him, you could tell that he backed off so I did too...but he didn't try to pass me again...LOL

Carl,it seems like you were in a hurry to meet your maker.You never said if you made it to church on time.We all want more h.p. but if these cars didn,t hold the road as good as they do then you couldn,t go 145 mph. These cars sure handle good. Safe driving. p.s. Leave a little early next time ,LOL

Ha Ha, I've been trying to get the wife to get ready on time ever since we got married, but she's a procrastinator...so I have to keep prodding her to get ready...

You're right about the handling on these cars though...They do handle very well, even well into tripple digits...

Well, wife and I are heading to church this morning in the SGT, and because she was running a little behind, I'm in a bit of a hurry on the highway since it's 18 miles to our church from our hose...Nice flat, four lane, divided highway with very little traffic at all, and I'm running about 80 when I notice a Red Dodge Charger R/T coming up on me pretty hard...I come up on a slower car in the right lane and as I start to pull out to pass, the Charger blows by me and whips back over in the right hand lane. I passed the slower car and was about to pull behind the Charger when I see the soot being blown out of his tail pipes. Well, I drop the SGT down into 4th and floor it and at about 145, my wife says "How fast are we going?" I told her as we were pulling past the Charger and right as I bumped the rev limiter still in 4th gear...I shifted into 5th and just waved Bye Bye to the guy.

I had to pat my SGT on the dash as she's such a good car! I LOVE my SGT! Sure would have been nice to have a S/C though, would have made it even more fun...I really think the guy was surprised that I was able to pull him though...the look on his face was "Priceless" LOL

Nice story, but very dangerous to you and your wife and of course others on the road. I'm totally against street racing as other members have pointed out to me in the past. I assume they feel the same right fellow members they taught me to use the track and to be more mature with my car. God forbid if the cops busted you that's jail , impounded car , license gone and miss church. Just following the shelby way no offense to you.

Nice story, but very dangerous to you and your wife and of course others on the road. I'm totally against street racing as other members have pointed out to me in the past. I assume they feel the same right fellow members they taught me to use the track and to be more mature with my car. God forbid if the cops busted you that's jail , impounded car , license gone and miss church. Just following the shelby way no offense to you.

Retired Cop as well RacerX009...They gotta catch me first to take me to jail and impound my car!!!! LOL

I'm torn by this. On the one hand I know I am tempted and I have done a few things on the road in retrospect I shouldn't have. But all in all I've come to the realization that these "kills" mean nothing! You have no idea what the other guy is doing, is willing to do, or unwilling to do. In a world where cars are separated by tenths of a second all it takes is a slip of the clutch (if the R/T had one) or a lack or nerve, or common sense depending upon how you look at it, and what? You win? So? Maybe the other guy hesitated going faster and let off at some point then it was too late to coma back. Maybe he just let off in general? Of course the car was an automatic so once he lets off he's toast. What I'm saying is, and not very well, that I've really cut back on these things and usually wave the other guy off, which to me is like saying "you're not worth my time and for sure not my life" the greatest insult of all. I just don't think outside the track with people determined to win and ready to race these "kills" mean much of anything because you really don't know what happened!

Anyway, drive safe, live to drive the car, not be "killed" in it....I know I try my best, and I'm no Angel, to not risk myself or others for a guy and a car I could really care less about.

Just my opinion! :shift:

I go back and forth on these too. I'm formulating my own "rules" of engagement. I surely don't do this with 20-somethings. I don't do it with Honda's/Acura's/etc. I surely don't do it on the freeway when there are TOO many people on it. I've sort of adopted my own limit. I've found that if from a drop dead stop you can launch your way out of the hole WELL before the other guy...... 'nuff said! In that 60' launch the other guy should know that unless he's got a lane as long as Texas there's no way he's gonna run up. If I can't get it over and done with under 80mph I try to just leave it alone. As Jeff said, no telling what the other guy is capable of doing. I've seen far too many guys already willing to nail it balls to the wall just to justify the too much money for so little -BMW they have! :)

Anyway, it was a great story and smacking down a Mopar is ALWAYS fun! In fact, i'm taunting my neighbor and his Magnum SRT/8 now that I've got my car all set up and tuned! :)

I have been a big NHRA fan for over 40 years and agree that racing belongs on the track. I'm caught in the middle here, too. On the one hand, with a car like the SGT, how can you not turn it loose once and a while? On the the other hand, what if you or the Mopar had a tire blow out, found new pot hole, or he was a hot head with a gun? It happens. :shrug:

I like to flirt with triple digits and have gone up to 125 once to see if I could. The car was rock solid and seemed like I was going 65. This was out along the Bonneville Salt Flats on I-80 where it is so flat you can actually see the curve of the earth!

I have been a big NHRA fan for over 40 years and agree that racing belongs on the track. I'm caught in the middle here, too. On the one hand, with a car like the SGT, how can you not turn it loose once and a while? On the the other hand, what if you or the Mopar had a tire blow out, found new pot hole, or he was a hot head with a gun? It happens. :shrug:

I like to flirt with triple digits and have gone up to 125 once to see if I could. The car was rock solid and seemed like I was going 65. This was out along the Bonneville Salt Flats on I-80 where it is so flat you can actually see the curve of the earth!

Obviously most of you have never been to West Texas...This has to be the flattest place in the world where you can look for miles and miles and see nothing but miles and miles...LOL

Texas has some of the best roads in the United States...If I have a blow out at 145, well, guess it was our time to go...If the other guy is a hot head with a gun, well, I carry one too...I'm not the average driver, have been to several high speed courses while a LEO and know the limits of my vehicle...I know that the race track is the place to do this stuff, but I've seen crashes and fights at the race track too...But at the race track you will rarely be over 100 MPH too...especially in a 1/4 mile...

I don't condone street racing either, but again, with the wide open roads out here, it's hardly a street race...Don't do it in town at all...too much cross traffic and such...

Obviously most of you have never been to West Texas...This has to be the flattest place in the world where you can look for miles and miles and see nothing but miles and miles...LOL

Texas has some of the best roads in the United States...If I have a blow out at 145, well, guess it was our time to go...If the other guy is a hot head with a gun, well, I carry one too...I'm not the average driver, have been to several high speed courses while a LEO and know the limits of my vehicle...I know that the race track is the place to do this stuff, but I've seen crashes and fights at the race track too...But at the race track you will rarely be over 100 MPH too...especially in a 1/4 mile...

I don't condone street racing either, but again, with the wide open roads out here, it's hardly a street race...Don't do it in town at all...too much cross traffic and such...

I have lived in Utah 34 years but actually hail from New Joisey, home of Wicked Shelby, among others. Having never been anywhere, my wife and I took a gutsy 10,000 mile road trip in 1973. That's what landed us out west. We spent a week in Big D with my aunt before taking the interstate west towards Carlsbad Caverns in NM. Being the city slicker I was, I stopped west of Pecos on a 2 lane road and took a few pictures of your miles and miles. I had never seen nothing before. There is no such thing in NJ.

Be safe and chalk another one up for the SGT

I have lived in Utah 34 years but actually hail from New Joisey, home of Wicked Shelby, amoung others. Having never been anywhere, my wife and I took a gutsy 10,000 mile road trip in 1973. That's what landed us out west. We spent a week in Big D with my aunt before taking the interstate west towards Carlsbad Caverns in NM. Being the city slicker I was, I stopped west of Pecos on a 2 lane road and took a few pictures of your miles and miles. I had never seen nothing before. There is no such thing in NJ.

Be safe and chalk another one up for the SGT

Now you know why I LOVE TEXAS!!! LOL I lived in Dallas for a while, and other than having anything and everything at your fingertips, I didn't like living there too much...just too many people living entirely too close together...

If I race at all, it's usually from a stop or roll. By 4th gear, the race is over.

I did 145mph once but I was the only one in the car and no one else was on the 3 lane road when I did it. The car wanted to go more but I ran out of balls.

West Texas is nice. Found a spot on I-10, no one around and could see miles ahead. Took it to about 142+ just to say I did it. No one else was around and it was a divided highway. Car felt stable and did not notice any of the rear end lifting mentioned by others. Now that I have done it I don't have to do it again.

+1. No lift at speed at all for my car. (off hwy).

The Chargers are overweight and a little more BVLD cruiser than most owners would admit. But a nice looking car. I am still partial to my SGT.

I personally like to distance myself from high end european "drivers" in the corners, alone, but at legal and way over the posted "suggested limit signs" in the corners. Way fun and technically legal as far as speed limits and marginally safer than 145 on the hwy with a passenger.

Sportbikes are for playing with people who like to accelerate straight from a stoplight... 9.9 in the 1/4 for $10,000 from all the big 4, pick your color. Corners are fun but stopping after a gravel patch sucks. Wheelies at 100mph or more. 170mph everyday, in way too short distances, if you can live long enough. I am now to old/sane for that... for now anyway.... :hysterical:

As a favor to us all and our insurance rates (why I no longer have a superbike) please pick and choose your spots carefully (preferably without a passenger). Speed is way cool.

But stuff happens way way too fast and when it does it will be in "slow motion" (seriously, it's way trippy, I think it is a huge adrenaline hit and immenent death coming into focus) when it does, if you live to remember what happened.

Saying that have fun dude! Cool story.

Picking and choosing a safe wide open spot is the way to go. What bothers me is the fact that your wife was in the car. If and I say If something did happened and the car rolled and you survived but your wife didn't, this would be something that will be in your head forever. Take these runs on your own. It would bother me if someone posted a story here about how they kicked someones butt but lost control and a life was lost. That would be a bad day for all us who love our cars and love to chat here. I believe we all have bonded because of these great cars. I "pat" my cars dash board everytime I get them home safely after a day on the road in Florida.

Just my thoughts. Not making any judgements just want you guys around. NO regrets needed. Please be safe.

Glenn

......and I'm running about 80 when I notice a Red Dodge Charger R/T coming up on me pretty hard...I come up on a slower car in the right lane and as I start to pull out to pass, the Charger blows by me and whips back over in the right hand lane. I passed the slower car and was about to pull behind the Charger when I see the soot being blown out of his tail pipes. Well, I drop the SGT down into 4th and floor it and at about 145, my wife says "How fast are we going?" I told her as we were pulling past the Charger and right as I bumped the rev limiter still in 4th gear.......

Gentlemen,

This is an example that proves my "Superchargers make challenges shorter, slower, and safer" statement in another thread. When cars are almost evenly matched, drivers tend to let the contest go on too long reaching dangerously high speeds. If motorjock205 had a SGT/SC that challenge would have been over within 10 seconds and at under 100 MPH. That's all the time it would take to reel in that Charger and give him a second look at the SHELBY lettering on your trunklid followed by the flash of your brake lights. You could both then motor to your destinations at a more leisurely pace. This would allow the Charger driver to contemplate two things. 1. What the hell was that? 2. I wonder what the trade in value of this Chrysler sled is?

Merry Christmas.

Chip

Gentlemen,

This is an example that proves my "Superchargers make challenges shorter, slower, and safer" statement in another thread. When cars are almost evenly matched, drivers tend to let the contest go on too long reaching dangerously high speeds. If motorjock205 had a SGT/SC that challenge would have been over within 10 seconds and at under 100 MPH. That's all the time it would take to reel in that Charger and give him a second look at the SHELBY lettering on your trunklid followed by the flash of your brake lights. You could both then motor to your destinations at a more leisurely pace. This would allow the Charger driver to contemplate two things. 1. What the hell was that? 2. I wonder what the trade in value of this Chrysler sled is?

Merry Christmas.

Chip

:hysterical2::hysterical2:

You are a very intertaining man Chip. As usual your observations are spot on :salute:

Jim

Gentlemen,

Merry Christmas.

Chip

Yup, I thought about that statement from you when it was all over with...I'm just not a rich enough man to be able to afford a Supercharger and brake upgrade right now...It might have to wait until the car is paid for and I have a chance to save some of the payment money then...but hopefully, one of these days I'll get the chance to do just that...

I've been debating with myself whether to weigh in on this topic or not since the thread was started. As someone who's been there and done that, I can't say that speed isn't fun - it is, in a big way. But I've also gone through that when things go wrong and I'm extremely lucky I'm still here. IF the S197 body wasn't as strong and IF I didn't have other Team Shelby members (like JeffJ and ShelbyGirl) close by to help me, I most likely would have died down at Terlingua. I still don't remember anything of the accident but judging from the pictures I'm extremely lucky I didn't have anyone in the car with me. My girlfriend was going to go with me that weekend but something came up and she couldn't go. If anything had happened to her while I was driving, I'd have a very difficult time living with myself and my guilt.

So to wrap up:

1. Yes, going fast is extremely fun and a huge adrenaline rush

2. At high speeds, when things go wrong they go wrong just as fast and in a really big way

3. If things go wrong, the amount of fun you had leading up to that point isn't worth everything that follows. I'd gladly trade that entire weekend for the full use of my left hand.

I won't ever go triple digits again, on or off a track, because I don't want to go through what I've been through again.

Matt

I'm sure if I had been through what you went through Matt, I would agree with you...I've been lucky most of my life...I rode a Kawasaki ZX7R sport bike for many years and 180 MPH was very easy to do on that bike...Any crashes I've been involved in on bikes or in cars have pretty much always been low speed, so I came out pretty good overall...Yes, if something went wrong and I hurt or killed my wife, I would not be able to live with myself...She is however the most important thing in my life...she also trusts me more than anyone ever has before...She knows that I'm a good driver with a high speed driving background...Pursuit schools teach you a lot about the way a car handles and reacts...

This little story that I posted is NOT my every day driving out here...Just one occasion where I couldn't help but show the Charger driver that his car was not "all that" he thought it was.

Matt, I'm glad you are back in the saddle...I see that you bought another SGT to replace the one you totaled in Terlingua...You are indeed a lucky man from what I have heard. Sorry I didn't get a chance to at least visit you while you were here in the Odessa Hospital and recovering, but my company had me in a holding pattern on an out of town trip...on again, off again, on again, off again during that time... I am glad to hear that you are much better though...Stay safe!

Archived