TEAM SHELBY FORUM

British "Top Gear" TV show test a GT500

MYGT500

Its not Jeremy Clarkson so its only a +.5

I am sure they might have one on Top Gear not 5th Gear in their upcoming season but we all have to wait for Richard Hammond to recover from his almost 300mphjet car crash.

Two things he said that stuck in my mind.

1. "I'm going to drive it like I stole it". well, duh. :doh: ( And where have we heard this before? Anyone? )

2. It's a great car for 25,000 ( he's talking British Sterling Pounds, which is about 1.85 dollars to 1 ) which is about $46,250.00. Then he said importing and VAT ( value added tax ) that would increase the price to 40,000 pounds ( $74,000.00 ), and how many people have paid that much for this car?

So, yeah it's a great car. So he got it right, even though he's a cheeky brit. :P

Just my opinion.

DLW

Thanks for the link - if nothing else it was entertaining to see the joy it brought him to drive this car even if it is American and piled up on a plastic plate. He mentioned the suspention change which many will do and who knows what the changes are Ford is making for "Job 2". Other than that regardless of what his mouth said his body language told me this is a car he would like to drive & so would I.

http://www.dpccars.com/car-movies/10-26-06...helby-GT500.htm

the guy is a bit rough on the car,but has a huge grin on his face the whole time..

Ok, I can't believe no one mentioned it...did you see the taillights? What's up with that? It looks like they made the center section the clear reverse light. RUF, you put your sequential blinkers on one of these, back it up to your living room, and .....voila....disco.

Dave

:huh:

Boy, I wish I could drive like that!! Oh wait, my wife does with our Odyssey. I thought it looked familiar. :doh: Keep up the good posts!!

You too huh, :sos: and here I thought it was just my wife beating on the Honda...nice catch, and I missed the tail light...whats going on back there :huh:

Requis

:huh:

You too huh, :sos: and here I thought it was just my wife beating on the Honda...nice catch, and I missed the tail light...whats going on back there :huh:

Requis

The taillights help it get through the Britsh imspection with out sticking an additional Fog light back there. They require lights on the rear due to all the bad weather.

The taillights help it get through the Britsh imspection with out sticking an additional Fog light back there. They require lights on the rear due to all the bad weather.

I think I'll order those clear ones, move the steering wheel to the other side, and go to a car show in jolly old England...talk to some other bloody chaps.

Oh crap, I can't do that.....shifting with my left hand would result in Tremec failure for sure. :fan:

By the way, who can afford to drive this over there? The gas (petrol) is like 1.2 pounds sterling per liter....I think the Calculus makes that about $7-$8 per U.S. Gallon.

Dave

Well - at least this bloke can drive it!

I saw him and his buddy do a Viper/C6 comparo. Good stuff.

He's too used to Euro interiors.

I used to watch this show on Speed Channel. They have that sarcastic Britsh humor as a bunch.

But....every car they drive winds up into a drifting contest. They're always taking it sidways through the course. I've been to a couple road rally's and I don't see professional drivers drifting into every turn. I see them picking the apex and throttling through it.

Is it me...or are you not suppose to get through the curve without going sideways all the time? If I'm right, then I think they are a bit harsh regarding the GT500's suspension.

Last...somebody please name one quality, reasonably priced, high performance Britsh car.

I used to watch this show on Speed Channel. They have that sarcastic Britsh humor as a bunch.

But....every car they drive winds up into a drifting contest. They're always taking it sidways through the course. I've been to a couple road rally's and I don't see professional drivers drifting into every turn. I see them picking the apex and throttling through it.

Is it me...or are you not suppose to get through the curve without going sideways all the time? If I'm right, then I think they are a bit harsh regarding the GT500's suspension.

Last...somebody please name one quality, reasonably priced, high performance Britsh car.

Exactly!

I love British humor & movies, even British food--especially pub food even if they don't heap it on a paper plate. But give me a break, the wanker didn't say the interior could have been upgraded a bit--he said it was crappy. What and where was Jaquar before Ford stepped in and improved the quality dramatically. Ever own a British car? I had a 67 Triumph TR4-honestly the only car I ever hated.

So the cart has buckets of power and could use some work in the interior, hey wait thats just like the originals back in the day. Thanks for your opinion but keep your Opel's and the Peugot's on your side of the pond and we will keep the Shelby's.

It has to be a Euro thing.

My '04 Volvo V70 had a "fog" light on the left rear tailight. It was like a brake light (red). Apparently, "over there" one needs to appear as if one's braking in the fog. :doh:

You're right, its a euro thing. I think we could use it over here though, might help with some of the problems in California when the fog rolls in off the pacific.

Having driven on the autobahns in europe while in the military, I was told the purpose for the brighter tail lights...imagine, driving down the autobahn doing about 160kph ( thats 100mph for those of you who don't want to do the math ), you pass a Volkswagen that at the same time, happens to be passing an Opel (yeah, an Opel) the fog is kinda thick, so you start to pull around the VW keeping your eyes on the road ahead, the next thing you see are the headlights of a lambo or farrari in your rearview mirror, and he/she is right on your eh, bumper. The only thing that kept that driver from eating your rear bumper was the brighter tail lights so he could see them sooner, and have time to react. (personal experience)

'nuff said.

DLW

(p.s. europeans don't like to drive slow on the autobahn, even in fog, if you do, get and stay in the right hand lane with the Opel.) :lol:

I find it ironic that the Brits all but invented the hooligan naked motorcycles with the Triumph Speed Triple- lots of torque, no fairings, agressive handling, etc.

And yet, when this Brit has a chance to test the best hooligan car, they pick apart the very things they want in a bike, even while driving it like a hooligan and laughing the whole time.

There is a good reason none will be shipped directly over there. ;)

So thats why I don't have my car yet , they sent it to England to be tested....

He is right to some degree about the suspension, it is probably a bit too soft and high up esp for driving in Europe.

He was def having fun though !

svtbird91, if that was your car they're in big trouble <lol> Ruf, fire up the Huey and the Excursion -- we can't risk any damamge to svtbird's ship date, you hear? ;-)

Wait a minute, the Huey can't make England on one tank; either can the Explorer -- and we can't afford to fill up for the trip back at a bajillion $/friggin' pint :hysterical:

Ok, I take any delay in svtbird's ride personally, you hear me, Ford?!! ;-) My bro shall not be denied his ride! :rockon:

I think we need an operational plan ready just in case - we might have to make Nov 14 a NY State holiday... just in case anyone thinkin' of harming my bro, you hear. :hysterical2:

I'll fly back from NV right now if I have to!! <lol>

svtbird91, if that was your car they're in big trouble <lol> Ruf, fire up the Huey and the Excursion -- we can't risk any damamge to svtbird's ship date, you hear? ;-)

Wait a minute, the Huey can't make England on one tank; either can the Explorer -- and we can't afford to fill up for the trip back at a bajillion $/friggin' pint :hysterical:

Ok, I take any delay in svtbird's ride personally, you hear me, Ford?!! ;-) My bro shall not be denied his ride! :rockon:

I think we need an operational plan ready just in case - we might have to make Nov 14 a NY State holiday... just in case anyone thinkin' of harming my bro, you hear. :hysterical2:

I'll fly back from NV right now if I have to!! <lol>

Don't worry, I called Ford , they said that its on its way back from "Testing ". :doh: We're still on schedule!

Archived