TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Washing the car

GP500

As a user of Zaino car care products, they highly recommend the use of an AMERICAN MADE bath towel.

It should be 100% cotton. Here is a link , Also check out the Zaino products. Its the best for your baby.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mercha...mp;Store_Code=Z

It's been a long time since I had a car that I dried by hand. What's the best to use? Microfiber, chamois other? The microfibers I have don't seem too absorbent. What do you use?

I own a car wash and use nothing but microfiber towels, you just have to be careful that they don't have any debris in them. A chamois will pick up debris and scratch your paint if you are not careful. With the microfiber towels you just have to keep changing to a new one. If you have a Sam's Club in your area you can buy a pack of 24 towels for less than $10. You also have to wash them by themselves because they will attract debris from other laundry.

post-18989-1229218368_thumb.jpg

I own a car wash and use nothing but microfiber towels, you just have to be careful that they don't have any debris in them. A chamois will pick up debris and scratch your paint if you are not careful. With the microfiber towels you just have to keep changing to a new one. If you have a Sam's Club in your area you can buy a pack of 24 towels for less than $10. You also have to wash them by themselves because they will attract debris from other laundry.

+1 Microfiber is the only way to go. Costco has 24 packs of them for $12. When you wash them DO NOT use any fabric softener, the towels will absorb water better w/o the fabric softener. As Sandman50 said, to avoid scratches check them often for debris.

As a user of Zaino car care products, they highly recommend the use of an AMERICAN MADE bath towel.

It should be 100% cotton. Here is a link , Also check out the Zaino products. Its the best for your baby.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mercha...mp;Store_Code=Z

+1 on Zaino-great products.

Although I agree Microfiber towels are great, a nice soft bath towel works extemely well. I use microfiber towels extensively for other detailing aspects on the vehicle, but have not had a problem with any scratching from a 100% cotton bath towel.

I would highly suggest using a micro-fiber rag to actually wash the vehicle. I've noticed that micofiber seems to deep clean even better than conventional wash mits, and they will amazingly hold soap pretty well if you dab them directly.

Happy Detailing!

Sudguy4

Although I agree Microfiber towels are great, a nice soft bath towel works extemely well. I use microfiber towels extensively for other detailing aspects on the vehicle, but have not had a problem with any scratching from a 100% cotton bath towel.

I would highly suggest using a micro-fiber rag to actually wash the vehicle. I've noticed that micofiber seems to deep clean even better than conventional wash mits, and they will amazingly hold soap pretty well if you dab them directly.

Happy Detailing!

Sudguy4

I prefer drying with 100% cotton bath towels as well. I usually go through about 3 of them each wash. I then throw them in the washer with liquid detergent and a double rinse cycle.

I had owned my GT500 for one year on Thanksgiving weekend. It has never been washed with water, (except for the dealer wash and detail for pickup), and it has around 5000 miles on it. I use Dri Wash & Guard on all my muscle cars with good success. My 1968 Dodge Charger RT was last washed with water in 1999 and it is show ready. I do use micro-fiber buffing towers and they work great.

This process only works with fair weather cars that are not driven daily. If you drive in the rain and snow you have to us water.

post-12985-1229326084_thumb.jpg

post-12985-1229326128_thumb.jpg

post-12985-1229326312_thumb.jpg

I had owned my GT500 for one year on Thanksgiving weekend. It has never been washed with water, (except for the dealer wash and detail for pickup), and it has around 5000 miles on it. I use Dri Wash & Guard on all my muscle cars with good success. My 1968 Dodge Charger RT was last washed with water in 1999 and it is show ready. I do use micro-fiber buffing towers and they work great.

This process only works with fair weather cars that are not driven daily. If you drive in the rain and snow you have to us water.

Just curious. The charger looks like it has Nevada plates. Is that where you bought it?

Just curious. The charger looks like it has Nevada plates. Is that where you bought it?

No Those are Washington Plates. I purchased the Charger back in 1998 near Bellingham Washington but it looks nothing like it did when I bought it. It is pretty much a new car now. The 440 is the original engine with no mods except for a stelth installed electronic ignition. The control unit is hidden under the console with the wiring integrated with the original wiring. Except for the two wires comming out of the distributor it looks like the original.

Sorry, I told you a lot more than you ask for but I am a car guy, what can I say?

post-12985-1229531461_thumb.jpg

post-12985-1229531461_thumb.jpg

No Those are Washington Plates. I purchased the Charger back in 1998 near Bellingham Washington but it looks nothing like it did when I bought it. It is pretty much a new car now. The 440 is the original engine with no mods except for a stelth installed electronic ignition. The control unit is hidden under the console with the wiring integrated with the original wiring. Except for the two wires comming out of the distributor it looks like the original.

Sorry, I told you a lot more than you ask for but I am a car guy, what can I say?

Nice Charger, wish I had my 69 back.

Archived