TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help with Part

I have no idea what this is and would like to replace it with one that does not rust or get a new one and paint it before it can rust.

It is on the drivers side of the engine. Can anyone help me?

web.jpg

It really doesn't go well with my new Innovators West Harmonic Dampner (aka balancer)

web.jpg

Thanks

Andrew

power steering pump??? Kinda hard to tell exactly where it is on the engine in those photos...

Yup, it's the power steering pump...had to go outside to the garage and take a look at mine...mine doesn't look quite as bad as yours, but it does have some rust on it too...that's pretty sad that they put parts on a car like that, and that looks like it's a bear to get to to pull it and replace it too...

power steering pump??? Kinda hard to tell exactly where it is on the engine in those photos...

Yup, it's the power steering pump...had to go outside to the garage and take a look at mine...mine doesn't look quite as bad as yours, but it does have some rust on it too...that's pretty sad that they put parts on a car like that, and that looks like it's a bear to get to to pull it and replace it too...

Thanks a lot !!! I wish they had painted them or something, maybe anodized, I don't know but I cant stand rust anywhere on the car. I will be working on the axels this winter.

Again thanks

Andrew

Well, if you decide to pull that pump off and do something with it, be sure to document the procedure in pictures and post them...I'd be interested to know what all is involved...Damn It! Why did I have to see the rust on mine? Now it's gonna bug me too...LOL

The PS pump isn't hard to reach from under the car. Been there, did that with my shorty header install.

IMHO, Andrew...Go get a fresh pump from your dealership parts department, it's a stock part. Refinish it any way you choose and install it. Your problem is solved.

Now offer up your OEM pump (in new working order and condition) to others here and recycle it among us for an agreed price. Once they get your pump and refinish it to their own desire, they can resell their pump here. The trading can go on and on, and everyone is happy. The last guy in line can cash in on the core charge.

Just a thought, carry on gents.

The PS pump isn't hard to reach from under the car. Been there, did that with my shorty header install.

IMHO, Andrew...Go get a fresh pump from your dealership parts department, it's a stock part. Refinish it any way you choose and install it. Your problem is solved.

Now offer up your OEM pump (in new working order and condition) to others here and recycle it among us for an agreed price. Once they get your pump and refinish it to their own desire, they can resell their pump here. The trading can go on and on, and everyone is happy. The last guy in line can cash in on the core charge.

An elegantly effective solution.

Jer

Mac great idea,

I have not found a polished aluminum one yet and have tried a couple different companies, I plan on ordering a new one from the dealer next week and we can all "pay it forward"

Thanks for thinking ......

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

I got the new P/S pump in yesterday from SilverState Ford

The part # is 7R3Z3A674D the list is $141.56 and they sell it for $125.60...shipping was about $20 and there is also a $70.00 core charge on it which would be refunded once they receive the old one back in the original box.

web.jpg

On Monday it is off to Nu-Chrome in Fall River, Mass below is their email to me

Andrew,

Thank you for your e-mail. We will be happy to plate your power steering pump. As long as it is made of metal, it can be plated. However, I am not sure of its shape or what may be inside the pump. It may need to be disassembled to be done. As far as pricing goes, we will need to see it. We can only be exact with our estimates after we have physically examined the parts. Please take advantage of the following.

We have a special offer right now. When you are ready to send your parts to us, please call (800-422-8012) or e-mail us with the number and weight of each package, and we will arrange to have UPS pick up the job, at no expense to you. Simply package the parts for shipment and include a packing list, your name, address, and daytime phone number. When we receive your parts, we will call you to discuss the job, and provide an exact up front quote, for your approval. We have a few production slots still available for January’s schedule, CODE 109 will put you on the list, so please send a copy of this e-mail when you ship the parts to us, and we will be able to get your parts back to you in 4-8 weeks. However, do not hesitate or all the slots will be filled.

If you have any further questions, feel free to call me on my cell phone, 508-965-3143. We look forward to doing business with you.

Best regards,

Jack

Nu-Chrome

www.nu-chrome.com

I will keep everyone posted.

Happy New Year !

Andrew

I used this on cast parts and it worked great. You would need to re-apply every month or so but it does work great for little money.

Calyx Manifold Coating

Instant Cast Iron Luster With Calyx Manifold Dressing

Make your vehicle's exhaust manifolds look new with Calyx. Easy to apply and long lasting. For optimum results, manifolds should be removed, abrasive blasted, and wiped down with PRE, before applying. If you wish to apply while the manifolds are installed on the engine, use a wire brush to remove surface rust and dirt, then wipe down with PRE. Apply Calyx with a rag or toothbrush, and work it into the pores of the metal. For a buffed appearance, use a fingernail brush.

I used this on cast parts and it worked great. You would need to re-apply every month or so but it does work great for little money.

Calyx Manifold Coating

Instant Cast Iron Luster With Calyx Manifold Dressing

Make your vehicle's exhaust manifolds look new with Calyx. Easy to apply and long lasting. For optimum results, manifolds should be removed, abrasive blasted, and wiped down with PRE, before applying. If you wish to apply while the manifolds are installed on the engine, use a wire brush to remove surface rust and dirt, then wipe down with PRE. Apply Calyx with a rag or toothbrush, and work it into the pores of the metal. For a buffed appearance, use a fingernail brush.

Great idea Roger. I think places like Griots Garage (or maybe the Eastwood Company) sells that stuff.

Steve

Andrew, I thought you had ordered some of the Alsa Killer Chrome Spray and was going to try that out...What happened to doing that? I would think it would be better than having someone take the pump apart to chrome plate the case and then hope that they re-assemble it correctly...To my eye, it looks like that thing is pretty much sealed up from the factory and it would only be able to be disassembled and reassembled by someone at the factory...Just a thought....

Alsa

Andrew, I thought you had ordered some of the Alsa Killer Chrome Spray and was going to try that out...What happened to doing that? I would think it would be better than having someone take the pump apart to chrome plate the case and then hope that they re-assemble it correctly...To my eye, it looks like that thing is pretty much sealed up from the factory and it would only be able to be disassembled and reassembled by someone at the factory...Just a thought....

Alsa

I did order the Killer Chrome but was planning on that for the master cylinder reservoir (which came in as well) , I wasn't thinking about the P/S pump. I think you may be right... I will re-think it over the holiday.. As always I appreciate your opinions.

Happy New Year

Andrew

I did order the Killer Chrome but was planning on that for the master cylinder reservoir (which came in as well) , I wasn't thinking about the P/S pump. I think you may be right... I will re-think it over the holiday.. As always I appreciate your opinions.

Happy New Year

Andrew

Whatever you decide to do, please post pics. I just looked at mine and it's got some rust too, which is going to bother the heck out of me.

Good luck either way.

Ken

Happy New Year

Andrew

Ah, you're right...I was thinking it was you that had ordered that, but I forgot about the Master cylinder post....I think I'd give it a try on a scrap piece of metal to see how it turned out and see what happened...may be a viable solution and save you some bucks in the long run...

Why would Shelby put billet under the car and not address the rusty parts is beyond me. I know Shelby did not install the p.s. pump but they could fix this problem easier than us just like the rusty axle that they DID install

I am not sure why either or if it should be Ford's responsibility but I also replaced the Harmonic Dampner, the original is visible in rust on the right of Thump RRR Racing's tensioner

web.jpg

This is a better shot of the new Innovator's west aluminum one

web.jpg

Take Care

Andrew

PS I also plan on painting the axle when it warms up with Por 15

Andrew, I used to work with the people who are at Nu-chrome now. They know their chrome. As a matter of fact I work 10 minutes from them now. Looking at the pump however I don't think it can be taken apart, chromed and put back together without problems such as leaks developing. Just my $.02

Andrew, I used to work with the people who are at Nu-chrome now. They know their chrome. As a matter of fact I work 10 minutes from them now. Looking at the pump however I don't think it can be taken apart, chromed and put back together without problems such as leaks developing. Just my $.02

Thanks for the info...I am really leaning towards using the Killer Chrome on it and not sending it up to Nu-Chrome ( thanks as well to Carl)

Andrew

Archived