TEAM SHELBY FORUM

150 HP for $1200 bucks

To our surprise, the GMS cold air was worth 13 lb-ft and 11 hp. That's a nice improvement, and we suspect it's due to the smooth contours of the Granatelli inlet tube. Now it's on to the big test-the nitrous oxide pulls. The laughing gas comes on at 2,100 rpm and signs off at 6,000 rpm.

I wonder why GMS CAI had such signficant gains over the stock (Steeda) CAI. Besides the numbers mentioned in Steeda ad, folks on here that have had the elbow installed haven't seen much of a difference on the dyno.

The numbers above are typical of what you would see with a dyno tune alone. No tune is mentioned in the article, but I'm curious as to whether one was done prior to the dyno with the GMS CAI. If so then it would explain the gain.

I am also curious how the GMS CAI get such great HP. GMS claims 11hp gain while Steeda claims 8hp from theirs...

+1

11 horsepower gain from just an inlet tube? I wonder if Granatelli would be willing to dyno my 06 Hertz and install just the inlet tube for a comparasion?

Make you wonder if they run tests like K&N filter does.

Steve

Apples to oranges, gents. The GMS CAI replaces our 90mm MAF, and the specifications of the replacement are not clearly stated. This alone could account for the stated non-nitrous gains over other kits. Moreover, the article identifies the test dyno as a Mustang brand. That's an eddy-current dyno known to produce numbers not reproduceable on other styles of dyno.

IMHO, take the data with a grain of salt. I'm sure a 100 pound shot will produce dramatic results, and this kit has a very clean appeal to it as well. But, remember that any magazine makes it living by selling advertising, and it is sometimes better not to disclose every detail of such "before and after" examinations.

I like it, but I'm not overwhelmed.

Carry on, gents.

+1

11 horsepower gain from just an inlet tube? I wonder if Granatelli would be willing to dyno my 06 Hertz and install just the inlet tube for a comparasion?

Make you wonder if they run tests like K&N filter does.

Steve

Dunno about them, but if you bring the Hertz to one of the monthly meetings, Ill volunteer my time to butt dyno it for you :D

Alan

Archived