TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Buy now or wait for 2009 Mustang???

90GT

Ok guys, need some advice from my friends here on Stangsunleashed. I've been thinking of purchasing a new S197 Mustang GT but I recently read an article on Leftlane News which disclosed a few features of the 2009 Mustang which has peaked my interest. It's supposed to have a mild restyle and an increase in HP from 300 to 350. Here's a link to the article.

Leftlane News 2009 Mustang Preview

I wouldn't be purchasing my car till this time next year as I still have a little left to pay on my 05 S2000. I'd be getting the FRPP drag pack, handling pack, X pipe, and the FRPP Stinger cat back exhaust. Then I'd get a SCT tuner, cams, Centerforce clutch, BMR carbonfiber once piece drive shaft and then get it tuned by Evolution Performance. After all those mods the HP differnce wouldn't be that much between the two. I like the current retro styling and the aftermarket support for the current car is mind boggling so I'm leaning towards the 07 vs the 09.

Plus I would bet that there is a weight gain associated with the said 50 hp increase for the 09.

So what would you guys do??? Buy the 07 and have fun modding it or wait till the 09 comes out and get that???

Thoughts.................... :shrug:

Actions speak louder than words - I went out and bought a 2007 Mustang GT 2 weeks ago and I highly recommend it to you, as well. The aftermarket can supply you with all the horsepower you want right now so you don't have to wait two years to get your speed fix.

Ok guys, need some advice from my friends here on Stangsunleashed. I've been thinking of purchasing a new S197 Mustang GT but I recently read an article on Leftlane News which disclosed a few features of the 2009 Mustang which has peaked my interest. It's supposed to have a mild restyle and an increase in HP from 300 to 350.

I wouldn't be purchasing my car till this time next year

If you really must wait till next year, then grab an 07 when they come out with 0% again (if not 0% then something alse really really low).

Let me illustrate:

2007 Mustang GT (MSRP $28k) buy for $26k: assuming TTL down, your 60 mo payment is $433/mo at 0%

2009 Mustang GT (MSRP $30k) buy for $29k** assuming TTL down, your 60 mo payment is $561/mo at 6% (if you're buying at the beginning of the model year discounts will be hard to find and special rates and rebates won't be available yet)

So, the question is, how much horsepower can you buy with $4639? That's the amount of interest you'll save buying an 07 at 0%. One of the nice things about Ford Credit is they will finance aftermarket items (horsepower) included with the vehicle purchase. That's what I did with my Mustang.

So, in other words for the same payment as you'd have on a 2009 with 350 hp, you can buy a 2007 a year earlier that could easily have 400+ hp.

...hope this helps in the decision process.

**one of the lessons learned in the "employee pricing" wave is that customers responded well to "no haggle" prices and to prices that were in fact closer to what they were willing to pay anyway. One of the results is that instead of increasing MSRP's year after year, manufacturers have been holding MSRP's relatively steady, but have been steadily increasing the dealer invoice. This has the effect of not allowing as much "haggle" room between MSRP and the actual purchase price. In the example above, I made the assumption that invoice will be 95% of MSRP by MY2009 vs the 93% now.

If you really must wait till next year, then grab an 07 when they come out with 0% again (if not 0% then something alse really really low).

Let me illustrate:

2007 Mustang GT (MSRP $28k) buy for $26k: assuming TTL down, your 60 mo payment is $433/mo at 0%

2009 Mustang GT (MSRP $30k) buy for $29k** assuming TTL down, your 60 mo payment is $561/mo at 6% (if you're buying at the beginning of the model year discounts will be hard to find and special rates and rebates won't be available yet)

So, the question is, how much horsepower can you buy with $4639? That's the amount of interest you'll save buying an 07 at 0%. One of the nice things about Ford Credit is they will finance aftermarket items (horsepower) included with the vehicle purchase. That's what I did with my Mustang.

So, in other words for the same payment as you'd have on a 2009 with 350 hp, you can buy a 2007 a year earlier that could easily have 400+ hp.

...hope this helps in the decision process.

**one of the lessons learned in the "employee pricing" wave is that customers responded well to "no haggle" prices and to prices that were in fact closer to what they were willing to pay anyway. One of the results is that instead of increasing MSRP's year after year, manufacturers have been holding MSRP's relatively steady, but have been steadily increasing the dealer invoice. This has the effect of not allowing as much "haggle" room between MSRP and the actual purchase price. In the example above, I made the assumption that invoice will be 95% of MSRP by MY2009 vs the 93% now.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I could easily get the car at the end of 07, take advantage of the incentives, and finance all the FRPP performance stuff into the price of the car. What I would end up with is a car that has as much if not more HP than the 09 for less of an initial investment. The money I'd save from getting the better deal could be used for additional speed parts. :woohoo:

Plus I'm not even sure if I'd like the styling changes they are supposed to make. :shrug:

Only problem I'm having is I'll most likely have to get rid of my beloved 90 GT convertible. I've put so much time and effort into that car (not to mention a lot of coin :wacko: ) that it will break my heart to sell it. :banghead:

Here's what she looks like:

post-6180-1161752136_thumb.jpgpost-6180-1161752192_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1161752136_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1161752192_thumb.jpg

This is exactly what I was thinking. I could easily get the car at the end of 07, take advantage of the incentives, and finance all the FRPP performance stuff into the price of the car. What I would end up with is a car that has as much if not more HP than the 09 for less of an initial investment. The money I'd save from getting the better deal could be used for additional speed parts. :woohoo:

Plus I'm not even sure if I'd like the styling changes they are supposed to make. :shrug:

Only problem I'm having is I'll most likely have to get rid of my beloved 90 GT convertible. I've put so much time and effort into that car (not to mention a lot of coin :wacko: ) that it will break my heart to sell it. :banghead:

Do not wait to long. Sometimes at the end of the year most dealers have a butt load of V-6's left and the 5 speed V-8's are all eatin up. At least that is what happens around here :shrug:

i was going to do the same thing . but the end of the 07's will be in feb or march and the 08's will start in early may or june . i cant decide if i should pull the trigger in feb during the winter months or wait until spring and order and 08 when we have more info than the dealers do .

I'm going to try for an 07 mainly because I want to take advantage of the year end incentives.

As far as financing the FRPP performance packs into the price of the car, it really depends on how receptive your dealer is to the idea. Some dealers wouldn't do it because the "parts" devision is separate from the new car sales and it would cause book keeping problems. They had no problem installing the parts once purchased though.

Hey Ratnacage! What are the mods Ford Motor Credit will let you finance with your purchase? Is it only Ford Racing adds or can any companies adds be included?

It doesn't matter if it's Ford parts or not. I have a customer that will be doing a full blown Cervini package with either a twin turbo or ProCharger. Ford Credit is one of the few lenders that will "count" the value-added of aftermarket stuff.

I'm going to try for an 07 mainly because I want to take advantage of the year end incentives.

As far as financing the FRPP performance packs into the price of the car, it really depends on how receptive your dealer is to the idea. Some dealers wouldn't do it because the "parts" devision is separate from the new car sales and it would cause book keeping problems. They had no problem installing the parts once purchased though.

This is true. Some dealers don't want the hassle of dealing with major projects. Some consider it a liability, etc.

Archived