TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Throw-Out Bearing?

Hello, all...

Apparently, my TSB saga continues...

Brought it in a month ago, they had the car 2 days, fix completed, it sat over the weekend, I picked it up Monday morning, had the mushy clutch (lots of pumping fixed that), then grinding when coasting in gear - brought it back, tech confirmed the synchros sounded bad. Waited another 3 weeks for parts (left the car at the dealer!), just went to pick up today...

DENT IN MY CAR! BIG DENT! :banghead:

Right in the passenger's side fender. My service manager cringed, waiting for me to explode. I had to keep telling myself, "It's just a car, it can be fixed." I'm still a bit angry, but that's why they're called "accidents," right?

Anyhoo, I go drive it around, and now instead of a grinding when coasting in gear, I hear a grinding-like noise whenever I have the clutch out, moving or not. I drive it 2 bldgs down to the body shop, and the guy that writes me up hears it and immediately says, "Oh, that's your throwout bearing." Hmm. Okay.

Question - is the throwout bearing replaced as part of the TSB kit? Can it be bad? Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks for any help...Grabber, I'm lookin' at you! :happy feet: :cry:

They don't call it a throw out bearing on our cars. It's called a CSC.

Concentric Slave Cylinder.

It's a 1 piece sealed unit.

I had a new one installed during my TSB saga.

It looks like this:

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts117.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts106.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts107.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts108.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts109.jpg

I think the chances of it going out are very rare.

Nope, second...and they said the first one went off without a hitch.

I can understand the synchros being bad as part of the TSB kit received, that happens.

Now, minus the new noise, with the new synchros the tranny shifts like a dream - smooth engagement, much less chatter - like it always should! This new noise, however, is troublesome. Definitely a different sound than the grinding synchros, though.

Hey Mad Man, how's my "Twin" :finger: Sorry you're having issues. Forgive me for maybe being obvious here....Are you sure you are not hearing the gear roll over or "Normal" throwout noise when you are stopped?

Howdy, "Twin"! :)

I don't think this was "normal" gear rollover noise. I had that before, pre-TSB, and I'm used to that sound. There's no way a noise this loud and harsh is normal (I hope!). Dealer has it again, tech was going to start is and drive it to see what the noise is.

Since the CSC wasn't part of the TSB kit, the part should be easy to get - I wonder if it's possible they messed up my CSC when they disassembled/reassembled the tranny for the TSB work?

Hello, all...

Apparently, my TSB saga continues...

Brought it in a month ago, they had the car 2 days, fix completed, it sat over the weekend, I picked it up Monday morning, had the mushy clutch (lots of pumping fixed that), then grinding when coasting in gear - brought it back, tech confirmed the synchros sounded bad. Waited another 3 weeks for parts (left the car at the dealer!), just went to pick up today...

DENT IN MY CAR! BIG DENT! :banghead:

Right in the passenger's side fender. My service manager cringed, waiting for me to explode. I had to keep telling myself, "It's just a car, it can be fixed." I'm still a bit angry, but that's why they're called "accidents," right?

Anyhoo, I go drive it around, and now instead of a grinding when coasting in gear, I hear a grinding-like noise whenever I have the clutch out, moving or not. I drive it 2 bldgs down to the body shop, and the guy that writes me up hears it and immediately says, "Oh, that's your throwout bearing." Hmm. Okay.

Question - is the throwout bearing replaced as part of the TSB kit? Can it be bad? Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks for any help...Grabber, I'm lookin' at you! :happy feet: :cry:

I do not think grinding is the symptom of CSC....the symptom is

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...l=pig+screaming

did it sound like that....if not then it could be they screwed up something while rebuilding the trans.

Howdy, "Twin"! :)

I don't think this was "normal" gear rollover noise. I had that before, pre-TSB, and I'm used to that sound. There's no way a noise this loud and harsh is normal (I hope!). Dealer has it again, tech was going to start is and drive it to see what the noise is.

Since the CSC wasn't part of the TSB kit, the part should be easy to get - I wonder if it's possible they messed up my CSC when they disassembled/reassembled the tranny for the TSB work?

Did'nt think so.....GOOD luck on getting it fixed and keep us posted. :shrug:

Did'nt think so.....GOOD luck on getting it fixed and keep us posted. :shrug:

If they can't fix my car, can I have yours? ;)

This dealer has a 2009 Vapor/Black coupe on the lot at MSRP - I said, only half-jokingly, that if they can't fix mine, I'll take that one instead (it's got Nav). Just gotta check the build date - if it's before August 2008, I'll have the same problem! :banghead:

If they can't fix my car, can I have yours? ;)

This dealer has a 2009 Vapor/Black coupe on the lot at MSRP - I said, only half-jokingly, that if they can't fix mine, I'll take that one instead (it's got Nav). Just gotta check the build date - if it's before August 2008, I'll have the same problem! :banghead:

Might not be a bad idea :lurk: .....So far I've been ok , about 14000 miles and the clutch etc feels the same, I'm going to leave it unless it goes bad. I think I'll keep mine, heck this color combo has to be worth at least a $1.00 over any thing else! :drool::hysterical:

Might not be a bad idea :lurk: .....So far I've been ok , about 14000 miles and the clutch etc feels the same, I'm going to leave it unless it goes bad. I think I'll keep mine, heck this color combo has to be worth at least a $1.00 over any thing else! :drool::hysterical:

I think it is the CSC in my car. I took it to the dealer with 300 miles on my car in July 2007. The car can be at an idle and you can here it rattle across the parking lot. Push the clutch pedal even a small amount & it stops. Let the clutch out & rattle returns. I explained it more as a rattle than a grinding noise.

I now have 9000 miles on the car. The transmission has never given me any trouble, but the rattle comes & goes just as it always has. I can go for a month and never hear it, then turrn it on & it's back for a while. I did take it in 2 more times & regional Ford rep checked it out both times. He said it is considered normal for the car and they have issued a TSB stating nothing to fix. (At least that's what they printed and gave me in 2007).

Another update...

Turns out the grinding sound was nothing more than, you guessed it, insufficient bleeding of the clutch! Clutch wasn't fully releasing. That makes more sense - it definitely wasn't the "howling" I heard in Grabber's video regarding the CSC. Dealer bled the line a few more times, pumped the pedal a bunch, and took it out for a drive - no noise at all. And I will say that it did shift MUCH better when I drove it yesterday - like buttuh! ;)

Now it's being sent over to Complete Auto Body for the fender repair. My fear now is that, since the paint's cracked where it was hit, they'll have to paint the entire fender, which means removing the Cobra (no big deal)...and the GT500 side stripes! The '07s had individual vinyl stickers for the top, bottom, middle stripes, and each character in "GT500." I think starting with the '08s, it was made a single piece of vinyl with clear sections between the colored parts. I'd rather they replace mine with the original separate stripes!

Can I make this known to the shop without sounding like a complete lunatic? :)

Another update...

Turns out the grinding sound was nothing more than, you guessed it, insufficient bleeding of the clutch! Clutch wasn't fully releasing. That makes more sense - it definitely wasn't the "howling" I heard in Grabber's video regarding the CSC. Dealer bled the line a few more times, pumped the pedal a bunch, and took it out for a drive - no noise at all. And I will say that it did shift MUCH better when I drove it yesterday - like buttuh! ;)

Now it's being sent over to Complete Auto Body for the fender repair. My fear now is that, since the paint's cracked where it was hit, they'll have to paint the entire fender, which means removing the Cobra (no big deal)...and the GT500 side stripes! The '07s had individual vinyl stickers for the top, bottom, middle stripes, and each character in "GT500." I think starting with the '08s, it was made a single piece of vinyl with clear sections between the colored parts. I'd rather they replace mine with the original separate stripes!

It is your right to have it the way it was born. Am glad it worked out for you and sorry for the damage.

I called the dealer and spoke to my service rep, and while she laughed at me, she also agreed with me - it would be returned to me in the exact same condition it was in when I FIRST dropped it off. Specifically, separate vinyl, as originally delivered. And color-matching paint. And reinstallation of my original cobra.

I feel better now. If I didn't have proof of how totally awesome Complete Auto Body is (they painted my side scoops to match PERFECTLY, and repaired my wife's Ram after she rear-ended someone - came out looking literally better than new, and they even washed it for us!), I'd be freaking out right now. Now, I know the tranny is okay, no more issues, and early next week the body work should be done, so just in time for the garbage weather to pass through DC, I'll have my baby back!!! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Thanks for the concern, guys - I'm glad to have a support network of fellow Shelby fanatics! Makes me feel like I'm not the only one!

Another update...

GOOD to hear Man.......I had an incident with a deer a couple months ago and the replacement stripes were the 07 style. Usually they order parts by Vin now. You should be good to go. :shift:

Archived