TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Questions before my GT00 goes in to the Dealer next week

dhouston

Happy Holidays to Everyone-

I have my '08 GT500 Coupe going into a local Atlanta Ford Dealer next week for the TSB Clutch repair. Since I bought the car, it has exhibited a lot of clutch shudder/vibration, which I consider to be due to a warped flywheel. I only have 2000 miles on it and take very good care of my car. It drives fine and doesnt grind in any gears. But being they said they will replace the flywheel and clutch under warranty, figured I should take advantage while covered.

Before it goes in, I have a couple of questions for those that may know.

1) With the TSB, the dealer is saying they are replacing the clutch, flywheel, etc, but not replacing the entire transmission.....if I havent driven it aggressively, do I really need to ask for a new Transmission or will the TSB repair parts take care of it ?

2) I do hear some squeeking/mechanical noises coming from my rear end area. It is only when in 1st or 2nd gear at low idle making turns. I read where this may be normal ? Anyone know about this and should I have them look at it ?

3) I read on this forum where some are getting like 15-16 mpg (or more) local driving and up to 20-22 Hwy. I've tracked mine since new and I only get 11.9 - 12 local and 16 Hwy.....I dont drive that much on the interstates, so understand why mine could be low on average....but should I have then check the computer for any callibrations on fuel mix ? I didnt buy the car for MPGs in the first place and really dont care as long as I have the awesome power. But wondering about why others see higher MPGs than mine ?

They say all my parts are in (ordered about 6 weeks ago). Just want to make sure I know what I am getting myself into before dropping it off.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

DSC04456.jpg

1) With the TSB, the dealer is saying they are replacing the clutch, flywheel, etc, but not replacing the entire transmission.....if I havent driven it aggressively, do I really need to ask for a new Transmission or will the TSB repair parts take care of it ?

TSB does not include a new trans...according to Ford no need for it the rebuild is sufficient.

2) I do hear some squeeking/mechanical noises coming from my rear end area. It is only when in 1st or 2nd gear at low idle making turns. I read where this may be normal ? Anyone know about this and should I have them look at it ?

There is a TSB in the sticky about the rear end you may want to print it and take it to the dealer.

3) I read on this forum where some are getting like 15-16 mpg (or more) local driving and up to 20-22 Hwy. I've tracked mine since new and I only get 11.9 - 12 local and 16 Hwy.....I dont drive that much on the interstates, so understand why mine could be low on average....but should I have then check the computer for any callibrations on fuel mix ? I didnt buy the car for MPGs in the first place and really dont care as long as I have the awesome power. But wondering about why others see higher MPGs than mine ?

I am getting up to 11 mpg....never seen the 20-22.(city driving)

They say all my parts are in (ordered about 6 weeks ago). Just want to make sure I know what I am getting myself into before dropping it off.

Check with Grabber he has a list for the tools necessary for the TSB you may want to PM him, it is important to make sure the dealer has all the necessary tools before starting the job.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

I hope that helps and good luck...please give us a feed back when done.

TSB does not include a new trans...according to Ford no need for it the rebuild is sufficient.

There is a TSB in the sticky about the rear end you may want to print it and take it to the dealer.

I am getting up to 11 mpg....never seen the 20-22.(city driving)

Check with Grabber he has a list for the tools necessary for the TSB you may want to PM him, it is important to make sure the dealer has all the necessary tools before starting the job.

I hope that helps and good luck...please give us a feed back when done.

Sharabi - Thanks, man....great advice and answers. I will make sure I check into the TSB's and parts lists prior to taking it it. And definitely will post the results....crossing my fingers they dont mess anything up at the dealer. My car is still like the day it came off the hauler. Hate to have it done, but can't pass up the new clutch/flywheel upgrade.

Happy Holidays to Everyone-

Try resetting your MPG display before your next trip on the freeway and you might get better results.

Make sure all the parts are in - have them physically verify before they start tearing apart your tranny. If parts are missing, they are very difficult to obtain now. Mine has been in the shop since Nov 24 - some synchros were missing. My dealer is attempting to obtain parts directly from the tranny manufacturer; none were available from Ford.

The rear end TSB only applies to Mustangs not to the GT500, which has carbon fiber clutch packs in the limited slip. Mine exhibits a groaning/humming noise coming from the differential while making tight turns at low speed. Adding friction modifier per the TSB did not help. There are some posts that say Ford indicates this to be a normal characteristic of the Carbon Fiber clutch pack.

If the gas distributors in your area all use ethanol you will get less MPG. Ethanol blends are cheaper but you end up using more fuel overall to cover the same distance. Based on earlier threads there are a number of us that get 18 MPG in overall rural driving. Assuming that the onboard computers are fairly accurate.

Since you asked about mileage - - - there are other threads where owners/drivers are reporting what seemed to me to be fantastic mileage which I was having a hard time believing. So I started watching my computer when I filled up and it seemed like the computer pretty much always showed less gas used than what I put in by the pump meter. So I started keeping track and over 3,233.1 miles the computer said I used 178.3 gallons (18.1 mpg). The pump said I used 182.4 gallons (17.7 mpg), a 2.3% difference, but almost always the pump is showing more gas used than the car. Now I pretty much filled up at the same pump, used a low "trigger" setting and restarted the pump one time after automatic shut off. Is the car right or the pump right? So do I need to tweak the computer or go raise hell in the gas station over my "missing" 4.1 gallons of gas? No way to tell from this data.

But on the other hand I paid $1,500 for a "gas guzzler" tax for a car that gets 18 mpg!? :headscratch: To fight a phony global warming war?? :angry2: There just ain't no justice in these United States anymore. :censored:

Archived