TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front End alignment

Ok I'm sure this is in the wrong spot, but I need some help. I've got 18,5XXish miles on my SGT and never rotated the tires. (I know I completely forgot about it, my bad!!! :banghead: ) Anyway I needed to fresh rear tires so I got those put on and then and they took the fronts off and noticed the inside was bald because of the suspension being outta alignment. I call the local dealer and they say they won't do anything to re align the car since it's past 12K miles. :censored: I'm gonna take it in Wednesday at 8:00 and see what I can get worked out. Is there anything y'all can think of to help get me 2 fresh tires and the car aligned by ford?

Thanks in advance!

Kelsey

Can you let us know what the alignment specs are that they crank in to fix the inside wear issue? Sorry you had to have this happen to you but, I confess, I have wondered how our cars were set up and I had heard that the SGTs had this inside wear problem.

Jim

Ok I'm sure this is in the wrong spot, but I need some help. I've got 18,5XXish miles on my SGT and never rotated the tires. (I know I completely forgot about it, my bad!!! :banghead: ) Anyway I needed to fresh rear tires so I got those put on and then and they took the fronts off and noticed the inside was bald because of the suspension being outta alignment. I call the local dealer and they say they won't do anything to re align the car since it's past 12K miles. :censored: I'm gonna take it in Wednesday at 8:00 and see what I can get worked out. Is there anything y'all can think of to help get me 2 fresh tires and the car aligned by ford?

Thanks in advance!

Kelsey

They won't cover the tires. You will need the Eibach camber adjustment bolts or to slot the holes the shock bolts go through.

There's nothing wrong with negative camber. Like MCCOYSTUDIO said just get the new tires. The SGT does have a camber issue and Eibach does sell the camber bolts but the car just looks cool. Just my 2cents. I just love how the car sits and if you fix the camber it will raise the front end like half an inch. :D

There's nothing wrong with negative camber. Like MCCOYSTUDIO said just get the new tires. The SGT does have a camber issue and Eibach does sell the camber bolts but the car just looks cool. Just my 2cents. I just love how the car sits and if you fix the camber it will raise the front end like half an inch. :D

REALLY??? It'll raise the front end that much? Perhaps that's what I need to do then, cause I'm constantly scraping the bottom of the front bumper on driveways, roadway bumps, etc...even though I slow down almost to a full stop before hitting them, I still scrape...makes me mad every time it happens...

I just love how the car sits and if you fix the camber it will raise the front end like half an inch. :D

No, it doesn't. I had it done and really tightens up the steering of the car.

I guess if you guys like riding on the inside of your tires then that's fine but me personally I do not want to buy new tires every 10k miles.

Before adjustment and after adjustment is like night and day.

There have been some really odd statements posted on here about this issue but to each his own I guess.

REALLY??? It'll raise the front end that much? Perhaps that's what I need to do then, cause I'm constantly scraping the bottom of the front bumper on driveways, roadway bumps, etc...even though I slow down almost to a full stop before hitting them, I still scrape...makes me mad every time it happens...

Try going at bumps at a obtuse angle, that usually will get you over up almost any driveway, one corner of the car at a time it really works try it!

the big speed bumps are out at any angle even if you raise it 1/2 inch.

No, it doesn't. I had it done and really tightens up the steering of the car.

I guess if you guys like riding on the inside of your tires then that's fine but me personally I do not want to buy new tires every 10k miles.

Before adjustment and after adjustment is like night and day.

There have been some really odd statements posted on here about this issue but to each his own I guess.

I have 10k on my tires and they are doing ok. The camber that causes the tilt adds to cornering stability as I understand it...any experts out there feel free to chime in. Look at a F1 car from the front. they have the same camber, but more of it.

Last November, someone posted that their tires were bald after 10,000 miles because of the camber.. I immediately took my car to the dealer and they fixed the problem. They contacted Shelby and Ford Racing and were able to drill holes in the strut brackets to adjust the camber.. Problem solved..

I wasn't about to spend money on camber plates.. or the labor.. Especially when tires are cheap..

It's been about 8000 miles since the fix and the tires are still ok..

I guess if I were to put a lot of miles on this car, I would look into a more 'permanent' solution... but for my driving habits, the fix works for me.. :happy feet:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida...01&comp=LRS

I only paid for them. Quantum did all the work at the same time I was having my gears installed so I have no clue about mechanical specifics.

Hey Stump,

To your knowledge, will the camber adjustment bolts just, pardon the pun, bolt on to the existing suspension pieces of our SGTs? Thanks.

Jim

There was a thread a while back that said since the cars were lowered with the Frpp suspension that many of the cars are that left Shelby were out of alignment. Mine was as well. Not to long ago, I had mine realigned especially since I upgraded my wheels and tires. FYI I had to have my bumper completely pulled off in order for the alignment to be done, so be prepared.

Different driving styles can also influence the desired camber angle as well. An enthusiastic driver who corners faster than a reserved driver will receive more cornering grip and longer tire life from a tire aligned with more negative camber. However with the aggressive negative camber, a reserved driver's lower cornering speeds would cause the inside edges of the tires to wear faster than the outside edges.

What's the downside to negative camber? Negative camber leans both tires on the axle towards the center of the vehicle. Each tire develops an equal and offsetting "camber thrust" force (the same principle that causes a motorcycle to turn when it leans) even when the vehicle is driven straight ahead. If the vehicle encounters a bump that only causes one tire to lose some of its grip, the other tire's negative camber will push the vehicle in the direction of the tire that lost grip. The vehicle may feel more "nervous" and become more susceptible to tramlining. Excessive camber will also reduce the available straight-line grip required for rapid acceleration and hard stops.

Appropriate camber settings that take into account the vehicle and driver's aggressiveness will help balance treadwear with cornering performance. For street-driven vehicles, this means that tire wear and handling requirements must be balanced according to the driver's needs. The goal is to use enough negative camber to provide good cornering performance while not requiring the tire to put too much of its load on the inner edge while traveling in a straight line. Less negative camber (until the tire is perpendicular to the road at zero camber) typically will reduce the cornering ability, but results in more even wear.

Even though they have some of the most refined suspensions in the world, the next time you see a head-on photo of a Formula 1 car or CART Champ Car set up for a road course, notice how much negative camber is dialed into the front wheels. While this is certainly an example of wear not being as important as grip, negative camber even helps these sophisticated racing cars corner better.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=4

my alignment guy installed a couple of camber bolts and was able to adjust it to -0.3* (juuust a little negative). I've since had no inside wear on tires (the originals were bald at 10K mi) and have noticed absolutely no difference in handling; plus I got rid of the 60 - 80mph steering wobble that was bugging the hell out of me.

There was a thread a while back that said since the cars were lowered with the Frpp suspension that many of the cars are that left Shelby were out of alignment. Mine was as well. Not to long ago, I had mine realigned especially since I upgraded my wheels and tires. FYI I had to have my bumper completely pulled off in order for the alignment to be done, so be prepared.

I had mine done when I put new wheels and tires on, to early to tell but every thing looks fine to date only2300 miles, also they did not have to remove my bumper to accomplish this, you might want to check that out, seems a bit over the top to me my 2 cents worth, but if it works so be it.

This unusual inside tread wear is called "cupping", and it can ravage a tire in a short time. Severe cupping will cause a L2R shimmy in the steering wheel and vibration at highway speeds.

LuLu has 16K+ miles on the stock BFGs with no unusual wear. Rotated F2R 3X, no changes in factory alignment, but these tires do wear quickly.

The stock SGT BFG tire (235/50-18) was also used on the '03-'04 Marauders, and many folks (like me) lowered the suspension 1.5" and added negative camber for road racing. The BFGs did not take this well, I got maybe 9-10K out of them. I switched to the Pirelli racing compounds and got much better wear and vastly improved grip, but they cost 3X what the BFGs cost. Rock and a hard place, eh?

IMHO...If you are not iinclined to take advantage of an aggressive front end alignment, have it corrected and your tires will last longer. If you don't mind replacing tires more often than you expected, enjoy the drive.

LuLu's next set of tires will be the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires with the "run-flat" feature.

Happy motoring, gents!

LuLu's next set of tires will be the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires with the "run-flat" feature.

Happy motoring, gents!

Mac what size are you looking to put on in the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires ? I see 245/40ZR18 (88Y) at the Tire Rack for $350 ish in the run flat model (EMT)

Thanks

Andrew

Archived