TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 Shelby GT 500 VIN #

SGT-C0056

Hi guys,

Question. I noticed that some 2007 Shelby's have a CSM vin # like CSM7S200, while the GT 500 that are being sold at dealer ships have regular FORD VIN # Why is this? does this make them less valueable? I am guessing that the first 2007-2007 shelby's were built by Shelby at the factory, this would explain why they have a plaque.

All Shelby GT500s, regardless of year, are made entirely at the Ford AAI plant in Flat Rock, MI and have a Ford VIN.

Shelby GTs start out as Mustang GTs and are shipped to Shelby Autos in Las Vegas for conversion to Shelby GTs. These have a CSM number.

Thanks for answering my post so quick. So if I am in the market to buy a Shelby, for fun and investment(exclude the KR and SS) what is a better deal, a GT500 or a Shelby GT (which has a CSM Vin)

Thanks for answering my post so quick. So if I am in the market to buy a Shelby, for fun and investment(exclude the KR and SS) what is a better deal, a GT500 or a Shelby GT (which has a CSM Vin)

Don't count on an investment! Much speculation if these will ultimately (20 + years down the road) return to current values!

In terms of better deal, that's up to each ones affordability and what they want!

I for one prefered the Shelby GT over the 500 for looks, handling, & DNA (built as a Shelby by Shelby).

Shoot for the SGT for fun and the bargain prices you get on those right now. There are a few GT500s out there in the mid-high $30s now but as a owner of a SGT and (flame suit on) being part of the limited run I'd have to side with the SGT eventhough we have scoop and stripe issues but hey,small price to pay for being limited :happy feet:

Hi guys,

Question. I noticed that some 2007 Shelby's have a CSM vin # like CSM7S200, while the GT 500 that are being sold at dealer ships have regular FORD VIN # Why is this? does this make them less valueable? I am guessing that the first 2007-2007 shelby's were built by Shelby at the factory, this would explain why they have a plaque.

Welcome to the forum They all have Ford Vin#`s . Buy what you like & will enjoy . They are all Shelbys

It all depends on what it is you want to do with the car. We have one of each. There a a ton of GT500's out there and the price will continue to drop. I had mine converted to a 40th Anniversery Edition so I now have a true CSM number and conversion at about 1/3 the cost of the SS. Questionable on investment potential but there will be a very few made.

The SGT rides better (softer ride), sounds better (headers), and isn't that much different as far as track times. The only difference is my 40th handles the track better IMO than the SGT around the turns. I know the 500 wieghs more, but the suspension is tighter than the SGT. Oh yeah, the SGT is convertible so that may account for some of the handling difference.

If you are just using for regular driving, save the money and get the SGT. In the long run it will probably be worth more than a regular GT500.

Don't let the word "investment" get in the way of your thinking. Cars are bad investments. Get a car because it's what you want to drive and have fun with.

As for which one, that's up to you and your finances. Also, don't get roped into the "what's a real shelby and what's not" hoopla. Both cars are in the Shelby Registry so that ends that argument. Research both cars, get a ride in one if you can, and then make your decision.

Good luck. Can't go wrong with either choice.

It all depends on what it is you want to do with the car. We have one of each. There a a ton of GT500's out there and the price will continue to drop. I had mine converted to a 40th Anniversery Edition so I now have a true CSM number and conversion at about 1/3 the cost of the SS. Questionable on investment potential but there will be a very few made.

The SGT rides better (softer ride), sounds better (headers), and isn't that much different as far as track times. The only difference is my 40th handles the track better IMO than the SGT around the turns. I know the 500 wieghs more, but the suspension is tighter than the SGT. Oh yeah, the SGT is convertible so that may account for some of the handling difference.

If you are just using for regular driving, save the money and get the SGT. In the long run it will probably be worth more than a regular GT500.

You're saying that the SGT rides "softer" than the GT500?

Have you modified the suspension on the 500?

Details, please...

Thanks

Dan

Stock GT500 only have a VIN number and you can order a dash plaque from Shelby showing the VIN. If you let one of Shelby's shops put a conversion package on it (40th, Super Snake, etc), it gets a CSM number and corresponding dash plaque. If you have a GT500 and really want a CSM number, you'll have to look into one of these packages.

Matt

You're saying that the SGT rides "softer" than the GT500?

Have you modified the suspension on the 500?

Details, please...

Thanks

Dan

AstroDan,

My GT500 was converted at SAI to a 40th Anniversery car. The new suspension makes running around the track a totally new experience but it rides completely different (harder - can feel every bump in the road). I think the suspensions are different than the SGT which I think has Ford Racing and the 40th has Eibach.

Cobrafan is car number 1 (white), I'm number 2 (red), and my wife is number 3(blue SGT).

post-18629-1229009113_thumb.jpg

post-18629-1229009113_thumb.jpg

Archived