TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 accident - fatality

ilmor

I read this bad news this morning about a GT500 accident, a fatality and alcohol involvement. What a shame. I certainly hope it was not one of our members.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/6154459.html

That's not far from my house here in Houston. Sad to hear.

Nice Mustang... :drool: and Beautiful Color..... :happy feet: But it looks like Candy Apple Red in the picture which is also a gorgeous color. I also have a Torch Red.

Please understand my question here,,, looking at the picture of the accident ,,,does this bring up a question on the side air bags in the mustangs ,,,could the side air bags save this man's life or not ???I am very sorry to see and hear this news ,,,,so for us who have side air bags in our cars ,,,please still be careful out there,,,and send Ford a question on the side air bags ,,,just how safe are we.

Please understand my question here,,, looking at the picture of the accident ,,,does this bring up a question on the side air bags in the mustangs ,,,could the side air bags save this man's life or not ???I am very sorry to see and hear this news ,,,,so for us who have side air bags in our cars ,,,please still be careful out there,,,and send Ford a question on the side air bags ,,,just how safe are we.

In my professional opinion by the car photo above even a curtain air back would not have saved this guy. I would imagine he was smashed between the door and the center console, the seat prob folded like a taco shell. I would say his neck was prob broken from the impact. prob did not feel a thing. Dont mean to sound rude or mean, sorry if it came out that way. Prayers to the familys of the occupants. Chris

Just curious nobody on this site has ever got drunk or a heavy buzz and drove. I know it was made clear to me that street racing and driving at a excessive speed is not done on this site or spoke of which, I agree with because it's stupid and immature thats what tracks are for. But this guy or kid made a tragic error that cost him his life and destroyed his family and friends life we all make mistakes bad ones and really bad ones. So think before you bash a dead person he can't defend himself and they aren't 100% sure he was drunk no results yet.

Food for thought.

Just curious nobody on this site has ever got drunk or a heavy buzz and drove. I know it was made clear to me that street racing and driving at a excessive speed is not done on this site or spoke of which, I agree with because it's stupid and immature thats what tracks are for. But this guy or kid made a tragic error that cost him his life and destroyed his family and friends life we all make mistakes bad ones and really bad ones. So think before you bash a dead person he can't defend himself and they aren't 100% sure he was drunk no results yet.

Food for thought.

+1....IF he was intoxicated, he paid dearly.......RIP.

It's all fun and games until someone gets killed. my condolences to the friends and family of the deceased and injured victims. I have an old story and pictures from a 1967 newspaper I was reminded of when reading the article. it appears that the driver was in a borrowed Shelby that belonged to a friend. in the case of the old news article, it was a 427 COBRA and two men in their 20's were killed. the Cobra belonged to a neighbor. lesson to all is this: Fast cars, Motorcycles, snowmobiles and women are a threat to those who are not in constant practice maintaining a proper skill level required to handle these toys we all must play with. the answer to anyone who wants to play with any of the toys previously mentioned should always be NO to the untrained wanna be no matter how good a friend they are. espescially if drugs or alcohol is being consumed at the time they so desire to play. nobody should have to go through this nightmare and it is avoidable. I lost an 18 year old friend last year in a 2004 COBRA. His Mother ande 2 sisters are looking at their 2nd Christmas without his happy smiling face. Please learn from the tragedy others suffer so you do not have to!!

sure doesn't take much to end a life...sad tragedy...

I cant say for the drinking, but curbs and our cars dont mix very well either...

utility poles kill a lot of people...my brother lost his best friend to one in 1988(?) or around there...

Drive safe this holiday season everyone! We need a all good news bash next month.

Well, it's sad news in any event. As for the "story", we don't know for a fact if the guy was

intoxicated. Perhaps the owner was and he asked his friend to drive. So, we should not make

assumptions about the deceased person just yet until the facts are out. IF he was drunk, then

he should know better. EVERYONE should know better.

And another thing, if you're going to drive a Vette, Viper, Shelby, etc for the 1st time, you had

better not speed! You HAVE to get used to driving cars like this before you think you're A.J. Foyt.

I still get the shakes sometimes driving my car. You can EASILY lose control of these cars.

Drive careful everyone.

RacerX009...you need to down size your sig....it's HUGE and I have to scroll across my puny

19" screen to read peoples replies.

These cars are very dangerous. Nose heavy and light ass - they are so easy to break loose. Who would lend their GT500 to anyone - and on a Saturday nite to boot? We all know these cars require a lot of wheel time to understand how to handle them. I have yet to allow anyone - other than another GT500 owner - drive my car. They are simply like no other beast on the road. It is not a car to lend out. If you allow a friend to drive - it should be only with you in the car.

Of course - if the above post is correct - where a question of DUI came up - someone should call a cab. It is simply too risky to allow someone inexperienced behind the wheel of one of these cars. I hope we get some detail on what the sequence of events were at some point.

As far as poles and are car doors we can kick it in without a pole it has that little brace going across. If anyone owned a BMW or what I owned was 05 M3 if you took your door apart it had a X made out some heavy steel and when you closed the door it was like a vault. Still anything over 100mph your chances are slim in any car but hell hopes it a bimmer when it does happen.

Archived