TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Laguna Seca ,and Big Sur

Thursday the 4th was a perfect weather day at Laguna Seca (Mazda Race Way) in Monterey Ca. I met one of my oldest friends there , Mike Scott , who is on of the Hooked on Driving instructors. I have been participating in open track events at Willow Springs with the SGT , it's a great place but since I have the Sea Otter Mountain Biking race at Laguna Seca I wanted to know the track from a car racing perspective .

It was fantastic , all 11 turns , and the "Cork Screw" less friendly to pass compared to Willow Springs , but a great track surface . Going off track at Laguna Seca is a problem because they have put in pretty deeep sand areas for safety , I have not been off at either track but ta Laguna Seca you have to be towed out.

There were many exotic cars and I drove in the B group the car ran great and I was able to to get a good rythum connecting some of the turns. At 61 it takes a litlle time to know the track , and longer to learn techniques of throttle steer, weight transfer , etc , Oh but what fun .

Phil Hill's son was there as a benifit giving rides in the most outragous Maserrati , but there were also many 4 or 5 great Ferraris , Porche's , the new exotic Audi, I'd say there were at least 75 cars.

My car ran great with the new Spec Clutch , Aluminum Flywheel , Alum drive shaft, Fays 2 Watts Link etc.

What I was not expecting was the next being pefectly clear , and since I did not have to return to work I decided to drive south on Hwy-1 thru ig Sur , to my home in Cambria .....................................WOW , perfect weather ,,,,,not traffic,,,, It was truly a RELIGOUS experience. With the exception of the gaps in my in my hood scoop I had to look at, and my muffler hanger I had to listen to,

Any way had lots of fun ..................................Zale

Zale

Thursday the 4th was a perfect weather day at Laguna Seca (Mazda Race Way) in Monterey Ca. I met one of my oldest friends there , Mike Scott , who is on of the Hooked on Driving instructors. I have been participating in open track events at Willow Springs with the SGT , it's a great place but since I have the Sea Otter Mountain Biking race at Laguna Seca I wanted to know the track from a car racing perspective .

It was fantastic , all 11 turns , and the "Cork Screw" less friendly to pass compared to Willow Springs , but a great track surface . Going off track at Laguna Seca is a problem because they have put in pretty deeep sand areas for safety , I have not been off at either track but ta Laguna Seca you have to be towed out.

There were many exotic cars and I drove in the B group the car ran great and I was able to to get a good rythum connecting some of the turns. At 61 it takes a litlle time to know the track , and longer to learn techniques of throttle steer, weight transfer , etc , Oh but what fun .

Phil Hill's son was there as a benifit giving rides in the most outragous Maserrati , but there were also many 4 or 5 great Ferraris , Porche's , the new exotic Audi, I'd say there were at least 75 cars.

My car ran great with the new Spec Clutch , Aluminum Flywheel , Alum drive shaft, Fays 2 Watts Link etc.

What I was not expecting was the next being pefectly clear , and since I did not have to return to work I decided to drive south on Hwy-1 thru ig Sur , to my home in Cambria .....................................WOW , perfect weather ,,,,,not traffic,,,, It was truly a RELIGOUS experience. With the exception of the gaps in my in my hood scoop I had to look at, and my muffler hanger I had to listen to,

Any way had lots of fun ..................................Zale

Zale

Guys I just looked at what I wrote above the other day , I was really tired so it's a little screwed up ..............you get the idea though ...........Z

Archived