TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil change and tire pressure

GP500

I just got my 09 GT500 not long ago. When do you rec. changing the oil the first time and intervals after that? Also, what's the proper tire pressure? Thanks.

1. Welcome

2. Read your owners manual.

3. Do what it says.

4. If someone stole yours (and the supplement) you can use the search feature on this site. Lots of great info from those that have been there.

5. If the search engine fails and your owners manual has been stolen. Change it at 1,000 and every 3,000 thereafter. As for cold air pressure, it's on the sticker inside your driver's door jam.

6. Have you started the car yet?

Be safe.

bj

I just got my 09 GT500 not long ago. When do you rec. changing the oil the first time and intervals after that? Also, what's the proper tire pressure? Thanks.

Welcome to the site GP500! and congrats on the new ride. I changed the oil right around 1000 miles the first time and every 3000 miles or 6 months thereafter. As others have indicated, your car's recmommended tire pressure appears on a label on the driver's side door jam. The tire pressure is different for coupes and verts; it is 35 PSI for coupes.

Wow - my 09 is a daily driver, racking 120 miles per day. I'm just over 3,000 miles and I haven't made my first one yet and I know I won't be changing it every 3,000 miles. Perhaps 6,000 but not much sooner considering the lifespan of synthetics, it's all freeway miles and the weather is not that punishing right now.

Wow - my 09 is a daily driver, racking 120 miles per day. I'm just over 3,000 miles and I haven't made my first one yet and I know I won't be changing it every 3,000 miles. Perhaps 6,000 but not much sooner considering the lifespan of synthetics, it's all freeway miles and the weather is not that punishing right now.

True, synthetic oils hold their lubricating properties much longer than conventional motor oils especially when it's hot. However, the oil still gets dirty and contaminated with combustion byproducts and moisture - all of which contribute to the formation of sludge. I just prefer to change mine every 6 months to get rid of all the nasty stuff collected in the oil.

I think the six months rule as you explain it is a great idea; I just feel for us daily driver folks we should be able to push the miles to a point beyond even the manual calls for. If my memory is correct (I am getting old) the manual calls for changes at 5,000 miles, but I am planning on them being closer to 6,000 or more depending on time of year. Usually I am more particular in the summer months when it tops 100 degrees around here.

I think the six months rule as you explain it is a great idea; I just feel for us daily driver folks we should be able to push the miles to a point beyond even the manual calls for. If my memory is correct (I am getting old) the manual calls for changes at 5,000 miles, but I am planning on them being closer to 6,000 or more depending on time of year. Usually I am more particular in the summer months when it tops 100 degrees around here.

I usually stretch it on the oil changes for my other vehicles and I have lots of miles on them. I just tend to baby the 500 more than the others. I do recommend doing the first oil change sooner than what's recommended by Ford, but after that I recommend at least staying on the Ford maintenance schedule for oil changes. Putting 120 miles daily (mostly freeway I assume) on the car is probably better than putting 5 or 10 stop/go miles on it since it allows the engine temperature to rise enough to purge the moisture from the oil.

Archived