TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire Pressure/Traction

Does anyone have sound advice on correct tire pressures for my SS? Not only do I have problems in a straight line (who doesn't), I also have lateral traction isues. Must be tire pressure. Tire manufacturers site is no help - they say look at door jamb decal - N/A. I have the "stock" SS tires installed, no changes to "stock: SS suspension. Any other ideas or success stories on increasing tire bite ? :banghead:

Does anyone have sound advice on correct tire pressures for my SS? Not only do I have problems in a straight line (who doesn't), I also have lateral traction isues. Must be tire pressure. Tire manufacturers site is no help - they say look at door jamb decal - N/A. I have the "stock" SS tires installed, no changes to "stock: SS suspension. Any other ideas or success stories on increasing tire bite ? :banghead:

Chuck: This reply is by no means a bashing, but this is your second thread on tire pressure for traction. From my experience with the 725hp package, you CANNOT get traction @ WOT unless you're going 50 mph and in 3rd. gear with the Pirelli's; no matter what tire pressure! I can tell you from my experience @ a HPD event @ Pocono Raceway when I set my cold pressures @ 38 front and 36 rear that I could not make these tires squeel when going thru the infield turns!! After the session, I measured the hot pressures and all four tires were 6 psi higher and I also measured the tire temps across the entire surface with my infrared thermometer and found pretty even temps across all four tires. That tells me the cars suspension and pressures were pretty darn good. Even my instructor was very impressed!! The Pirelli P Zero's are IMOP a very good tire for the street and road race. It doesn't take much heat to make them very sticky but once again, they will not hook like drag slicks. This may not be the info you want to hear but I'm passing it on based on my personal experience. :talkhand:

You don't have a tire pressure issue you got a horsepower issue :happy feet:

I have to agree with 08 orange. I have tracked my car at 4 events now pressure at 36psi and they work just as good as the F1 285s I had all around on the car when it was stock. I will tell you this, until you get some really good track miles on it, you will be totally focused on throttle. After my 2nd weekend at Sebring I track at Homestead and it was like driving a different car. The suspension loosened up and really started to work. I could flat foot the top of 2nd and all of 3rd. I know I know everyone who has a Snake will say thats impossible with the street tires. But all are welcome to take a ride at one of my next events.

John

But all are welcome to take a ride at one of my next events

John, that is one offer im going to take you up on next year !!!! (some time next summer hopefully).

We have a mustang drag session coming up here in March 09, im planning on taking the SS along and attempting

to blast away all opposition haha. I will put on the Jongbloed 18 inch race wheels with toyo proxies 305/35 for that

event that i got from Griggs Racing.

I was going to give you and Van a call for some tips to get the best times... !!!

Speak soon.

Jason.

Jason you know your always welcome to visit with or without your Snake. I've got a lot to post on youtube just haven't had time because of work. But Van and me are looking forward to this weekend event at Daytona. I'll keep you up dated.

John

I have to agree with 08 orange. I have tracked my car at 4 events now pressure at 36psi and they work just as good as the F1 285s I had all around on the car when it was stock. I will tell you this, until you get some really good track miles on it, you will be totally focused on throttle. After my 2nd weekend at Sebring I track at Homestead and it was like driving a different car. The suspension loosened up and really started to work. I could flat foot the top of 2nd and all of 3rd. I know I know everyone who has a Snake will say thats impossible with the street tires. But all are welcome to take a ride at one of my next events.

John

Be careful John, if you have too much air in the tire, you could suffer a blowout a high speeds.

Archived