TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone put in a 3.73 rear end?

Whammer

You may want to do a search, there are many threads re: this. In my experience starting from a dead stop is a bit easier. you will find you are using 5th a lot more in place of 4th and there is a noticeable feel to acceleration. I had my gears adjusted twice and still have some noise that the stock gears do not have. If i did it again I would buy the entire rear member and install that way. They run about $1600. list from Ford for the GT500 unit. It is a bolt and go proposition and eliminates possible install issues with a gear set change. IMHO

3.73 is a huge improvement...I've installed several sets of these in my own and customers GT500's. You will notice less clutch chatter on takeoff and have much more use of your 5.4's powerband....had in my 07 GT500 from the time it had 5K miles on it till the time I sold it with 74K miles and could still get 22-24 mpg on the freeway when driving nice..in town mileage will improve if you are not on it all the time. Just put in my 08 GT500 3 weeks ago and can't believe I waited so long to do it!! Make sure anyone that installs for you checks it with a dial indiacator and you will have no problems..also ONLY use the a NEW Ford Racing gear set, not an aftermarket or used set...

3.73 is a huge improvement...I've installed several sets of these in my own and customers GT500's. You will notice less clutch chatter on takeoff and have much more use of your 5.4's powerband....had in my 07 GT500 from the time it had 5K miles on it till the time I sold it with 74K miles and could still get 22-24 mpg on the freeway when driving nice..in town mileage will improve if you are not on it all the time. Just put in my 08 GT500 3 weeks ago and can't believe I waited so long to do it!! Make sure anyone that installs for you checks it with a dial indiacator and you will have no problems..also ONLY use the a NEW Ford Racing gear set, not an aftermarket or used set...

Just wonderng where is your shop at? I need some work done . Thanks

Just wonderng where is your shop at? I need some work done . Thanks

Palm Springs...PM me if you want and I will forward you my info and #.....we have done anything from routine maintanince to any upgrade imaginable. 4 Kenne Bell upgrades so far...

I have a used 3.73 gear in my car that I took out of my mach 1. I haven't had any problems with it or heard any nose. It's a good mod to do I love da results from it

the only reason I said don't use a used ring and pinion is there is more chance of it to howl due to the previuos wear patterns of the previous car it was in...Blue Oval industries in VA sells the Ford Racing 3.73 gears new in the box for $149.99 that's where I get all mine..I am a Ford Racing dealer and my cost is more than that!! They must by several 100 sets at a time to be able to sell for that cheap!!

Had my 3.73's installed at the dealer last fall. I'm not convinced it has made a big difference in overall performance, but I do know the driving "fun factor" is greatly improved.

Mine are FRPP Motive gears. There is an ever so slight whine on deceleration, which I've heard is a characteristic of the Motive gears. I don't know that to be true, but I do know it is slight and not an issue in the least. Then again, the drone from my JBA's doesn't bother me either.

Actually it will be interesting to see if the KR owners are not experiencing the clutch problems the we have. i do realize that they are much smaller numbers, not driven often more than most of ours....but if no reported clutch problem in the KR then you can throw the rear gear setting in our GT500 as a possible contributing factor to the problem.........I think they share same flywheel.

My car new had rear end noise while coasting. Now with the 9 inch it doesn't make any noise at all. First time with the 9 inch i had 3.89 gears. At 80 mph at was at 2200 rpm's. Very good gear for 28 inch and taller tires. They were making noise at first and the gears were set wrong. Not the gear makers fault. I was thinking it was but it wasn't. This time i put 3.70's in. Because i'm going to an auto trans and 3.89's would of been to high. If you can find a mechanic that does gears he should be able to install them the first time with out any problem. Not sure what happen to mine. It was way off, like .0011 of an inch. That's like way off. Especially when your checking down to .00005 of an inch. So mistakes can be made. Not often if he has the right tools and experience.

My car new had rear end noise while coasting. Now with the 9 inch it doesn't make any noise at all. First time with the 9 inch i had 3.89 gears. At 80 mph at was at 2200 rpm's. Very good gear for 28 inch and taller tires. They were making noise at first and the gears were set wrong. Not the gear makers fault. I was thinking it was but it wasn't. This time i put 3.70's in. Because i'm going to an auto trans and 3.89's would of been to high. If you can find a mechanic that does gears he should be able to install them the first time with out any problem. Not sure what happen to mine. It was way off, like .0011 of an inch. That's like way off. Especially when your checking down to .00005 of an inch. So mistakes can be made. Not often if he has the right tools and experience.

What is approximately the cost for 9 rear and 3.73....Is it too much and swapping gears is better?

What is approximately the cost for 9 rear and 3.73....Is it too much and swapping gears is better?

Like 4k, but i would run what you have with some 3.73's unless your going to drag race with slicks. Then you'll need a 9 inch rear.

The gear change is a perfect match for the car....GT500 that is, You will love this gear set...out the hole smoother faster....completely makes the car, I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH GEAR WHINE OR NOISE!!!! I was able to get the gears from Tousley motors in Minnesota 10% over cost....FRRP factory Ford racing gears. price $300.00 install plus gears/fluid= worth every penny!!!!!

FRRP gears here also. Had the Tru-trac installed at the same time since it was going to be apart anyway. No noise or whine. 281 MotorSports did the install. Very nice setup. Easier to drive and fixes a whole bunch of "shudder" on take off or up a driveway.

Archived