TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Honest (but maybe not too smart) dealer

iceman

I just found a some what local dealer with a Shelby GT500 listed on E-bay with a buy it now in the upper 60's. They has a note that they would consider ending the auction early for a "reasonable" offer. I suspect my idea and their idea of reasonable are different but wanted to call and ask anyway so I did. I was informed by the internet person (i don't think sales but some how involved with the car) that they bought it from another dealer at 10K over invoice because they wanted it so bad.

I got no answer when i said than why are you selling it but I found it interersting to confirm dealers are buying these cars for over MSRP from one another. I suspect that some will eventually end up eating their shorts with this type of strategy but what do I know.....it does explain why they want so much over MSRP even though the market seems to be coming down a bit.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen or heard of the dealrers buying these from one another for over MSRP? It seems kinda like kissing your sister but I guess it's going on and I have to assume more than once.....This seems like it may wind up with a market saturation eventually if the cars getting bought are just moving to a new sales floor...thus allowing those dealers that are getting the cars from Ford to sell them at closer to MSRP???? Maybe??? Hopefully???

My dealer emailed me this morning to tell me that he can get me a Shelby faster if I wanted to pay more. He said he could buy one from another dealer for $20K over MSRP. I told him it wasn't worth an extra $18K just to get it a few months earlier. He laughed and said he figured that would be my answer.

Dealers screwing dealers. What a beautiful industry. :doh:

I just found a some what local dealer with a Shelby GT500 listed on E-bay with a buy it now in the upper 60's. They has a note that they would consider ending the auction early for a "reasonable" offer. I suspect my idea and their idea of reasonable are different but wanted to call and ask anyway so I did. I was informed by the internet person (i don't think sales but some how involved with the car) that they bought it from another dealer at 10K over invoice because they wanted it so bad.

I got no answer when i said than why are you selling it but I found it interersting to confirm dealers are buying these cars for over MSRP from one another. I suspect that some will eventually end up eating their shorts with this type of strategy but what do I know.....it does explain why they want so much over MSRP even though the market seems to be coming down a bit.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen or heard of the dealrers buying these from one another for over MSRP? It seems kinda like kissing your sister but I guess it's going on and I have to assume more than once.....This seems like it may wind up with a market saturation eventually if the cars getting bought are just moving to a new sales floor...thus allowing those dealers that are getting the cars from Ford to sell them at closer to MSRP???? Maybe??? Hopefully???

I take it you have not heard of MOGFIS or Lonestar Ford?

I take it you have not heard of MOGFIS or Lonestar Ford?

Yeah, they have been bidding on many cars on e-bay for months now. They usually go to the mid to high 50's . IMO this is keeping prices unreasonably high in a lot of cases. Then they (lonestar), has to raise them more to sell. It's free enterprise BUT it's really tough on the rest of us :censored:

In my search, I found a local dealer that had sold his 4 cars all with 20K ADM's before they even showed up. They told me that they bought 5 cars from other dealers for 15K ADM and had those pre-sold to buyers that were glad to get them for 20K ADM. The 2nd tier dealer made 5K for his services.

I thought Ford said that was a no no.

That's what I thought too but there must have been some criteria that left a loop hole open. I just wondered if anyone else had heard it confirmed from the horses mouth. I had suspected it a lot but it's the first time I have had first hand confirmation of this going on. Right after I am told they are the states #1 Shelby dealer which I think may be true if they are buying them from other dealers to resell them.

I guess I can't fault them for it, I just was a bit shocked to hear them come right out and tell me they bought it from another dealer for 10K over. I guess I'll keep working on that elusive virtue called patience

Check out Bickford Ford in Snohomish, WA 'ShelbyTown'

I seen a letter that my sales guy showed me a month ago from another dealer saying name your price for each car of your GT500 allocation. :rant: Then the Salemanger asked if I would take 10k right now & never take possession of it? :headscratch:

My answer was quick & to the point :censored: NO!

I have waited way too long for my dream car just to see it go to someone else.

Now if you were getting a 3rd car & I still got that one at MSRP maybe. :hysterical:

Has anyone checked out ShelbyTown.com? It's a Ford dealer in Washington. They have 12 Shelbys in their inventory. I emailed them about price and availablility and this is the response I received:

"Your expeirence is similar to everyone elses in the country. The biggest dealers are only allocated 2 or 3 Shelby's. We got in the Shelby game approximately 2 months before everyone else and bought other dealers inventory at a cost average of $20,000.00 over MSRP, and we are selling them for $25,000.00 over. We are shipping our Shelby's all over the country. The availabilty of this car will probably be the same next year except the price will be going up because of the huge demand on this car. If you really want one now is the time while you can still get it. Please email or give me a call if you would like one.

Will Breen

Phone:360-568-2122

Fax:360-568-8255

reply@bickfordautosales.com"

Has anyone checked out ShelbyTown.com? It's a Ford dealer in Washington. They have 12 Shelbys in their inventory. I emailed them about price and availablility and this is the response I received:

"Your expeirence is similar to everyone elses in the country. The biggest dealers are only allocated 2 or 3 Shelby's. We got in the Shelby game approximately 2 months before everyone else and bought other dealers inventory at a cost average of $20,000.00 over MSRP, and we are selling them for $25,000.00 over. We are shipping our Shelby's all over the country. The availabilty of this car will probably be the same next year except the price will be going up because of the huge demand on this car. If you really want one now is the time while you can still get it. Please email or give me a call if you would like one.

Will Breen

Phone:360-568-2122

Fax:360-568-8255

reply@bickfordautosales.com"

I love that one comment...."the price will be going up because the the huge demand". If that's true, then they should hold their cars until next year and sell them for more. What a joke.

Dave

In my search, I found a local dealer that had sold his 4 cars all with 20K ADM's before they even showed up. They told me that they bought 5 cars from other dealers for 15K ADM and had those pre-sold to buyers that were glad to get them for 20K ADM. The 2nd tier dealer made 5K for his services.

Rule #1:

Don't believe everything a dealer is telling you.

In most cases it is directed at getting you to spend your money. These cars are not sold until they leave the lot. These guys with down payments will be asking to get them back because the cars will not still be worth $25k over when they finally arrive in the Spring.

Have you heard the recent Shelby interview? He states that there are 3 cars coming from Shelby and he later says Mustangs are all he is interested in. He says that one of the cars is what we are expecting (GT500KR is my guess). He also says 3 others are going to be announced.

Someone on this board got a refusal letter from Shelby Owners Assoc denying admittance for his GT500 because it is manuf by Ford and not Shelby.

With the car not being recognized as a "real Shelby" and the fact that so many others are being introduced,including one that is a better performer, the market is fixin' to drop (put that in for the professor). A big part of the support for the big ADMs is the Shelby name. Well, it is getting watered down. The next big reason is untouched performance. Well, it is getting ready to get outdone by a Cobra R level car (likely named GT500KR).

I see this as all good news for the MSRP holdouts.

Someone on this board got a refusal letter from Shelby Owners Assoc denying admittance for his GT500 because it is manuf by Ford and not Shelby.

With the car not being recognized as a "real Shelby" and the fact that so many others are being introduced,including one that is a better performer, the market is fixin' to drop (put that in for the professor). A big part of the support for the big ADMs is the Shelby name. Well, it is getting watered down. The next big reason is untouched performance. Well, it is getting ready to get outdone by a Cobra R level car (likely named GT500KR).

I see this as all good news for the MSRP holdouts.

Who's the Shelby Owner's Association? The only Shelby association with any "clout" is the SAAC - and they certainly recognize the S197 Shelby.

edit:

ok, i just read the other thread. now I know what the fuss is about

Archived