TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Whipple Strut Tower Brace

Gentlemen,

The following is a repost of an answer I supplied on a different thread. In order to make information easier to find as I progress with this project, I thought it best to start a new thread. I will post additional information and photographs here as this moves forward.

An update and a delay. I have taken a series of measurements between engine components and the bottom of the stock Shelby GT hood both before and after installing my supercharger. These measurements are taken by placing a ball of Play-Doh on top of various components and then closing the hood. When the hood is opened the thickness of the now compressed Play-Doh can be measured. Some of the measurements I was able to take directly by removing my hood scoop.

Next, I have acquired every type of strut tower brace that Ford makes for the Mustang. I was aware before purchasing them that none of them would work but I wanted to know where the clearance issues were and if any of them could be modified to fit. In addition to the Ford racing brace that came stock on the Shelby GT I also have the stock strut tower brace from my GT500, the V-6 strut tower brace that is currently used on the Bullitt Mustang, and the Ford Racing brace currently used on the GT500 Super Snake.

My objectives as I pursue this project is threefold:

1. To build a strut tower brace that will clear the Ford Racing Whipple supercharger while using the stock Shelby GT hood and without removing or cutting any of the hoods braceing.

2. The finished strut tower brace must be at least as strong and rigid as the stock piece so that it functions properly.

3. The finished installation should look as close to stock as possible and present an attractive and finished appearance.

There are four different points of interference. The toughest clearance point is between the air intake tube between the throttle body and the air cleaner and the hood braceing above it. The next results from the air intake tube on the 3-V 4.6L Whipple supercharger sitting higher than the air intake tube on the GT500. And the two final interference points are the hood braceing just out board of the hood scoop.

The only brace that can be relieved in all four areas to properly clear all components is the Super Snake Ford Racing strut tower brace shown on top in the photo below. Once relieved, the brace will be substantially weakened and will only be used to produce CAD-CAM drawings so that a newly manufactured brace can be made that is both as strong as the original and clear all necessary components.

My delay is twofold. First, the Super Snake tower brace in the photo came from a Ford Racing handling kit I purchased for my GT500. I ordered one individually for my Shelby GT months ago and it is still on back order. I am reluctant to destroy the one I intend to install on my GT500 until I know I can get a replacement. Second, my business currently sucks and I'm spending a lot more time at the office and a lot less time playing with my cars and this project will be a time eating monster.

So I am moving forward although not at a breakneck pace. Like my hood scoop, when I am finished with this project I will be happy to share the result with other Shelby GT owners. Happy holidays my good friends and all the best.

Chip

post-12804-1228416888_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1228416899_thumb.jpg

Gentlemen,

The following is a repost of an answer I supplied on a different thread. In order to make information easier to find as I progress with this project, I thought it best to start a new thread. I will post additional information and photographs here as this moves forward.

An update and a delay. I have taken a series of measurements between engine components and the bottom of the stock Shelby GT hood both before and after installing my supercharger. These measurements are taken by placing a ball of Play-Doh on top of various components and then closing the hood. When the hood is opened the thickness of the now compressed Play-Doh can be measured. Some of the measurements I was able to take directly by removing my hood scoop.

Next, I have acquired every type of strut tower brace that Ford makes for the Mustang. I was aware before purchasing them that none of them would work but I wanted to know where the clearance issues were and if any of them could be modified to fit. In addition to the Ford racing brace that came stock on the Shelby GT I also have the stock strut tower brace from my GT500, the V-6 strut tower brace that is currently used on the Bullitt Mustang, and the Ford Racing brace currently used on the GT500 Super Snake.

My objectives as I pursue this project is threefold:

1. To build a strut tower brace that will clear the Ford Racing Whipple supercharger while using the stock Shelby GT hood and without removing or cutting any of the hoods braceing.

2. The finished strut tower brace must be at least as strong and rigid as the stock piece so that it functions properly.

3. The finished installation should look as close to stock as possible and present an attractive and finished appearance.

There are four different points of interference. The toughest clearance point is between the air intake tube between the throttle body and the air cleaner and the hood braceing above it. The next results from the air intake tube on the 3-V 4.6L Whipple supercharger sitting higher than the air intake tube on the GT500. And the two final interference points are the hood braceing just out board of the hood scoop.

The only brace that can be relieved in all four areas to properly clear all components is the Super Snake Ford Racing strut tower brace shown on top in the photo below. Once relieved, the brace will be substantially weakened and will only be used to produce CAD-CAM drawings so that a newly manufactured brace can be made that is both as strong as the original and clear all necessary components.

My delay is twofold. First, the Super Snake tower brace in the photo came from a Ford Racing handling kit I purchased for my GT500. I ordered one individually for my Shelby GT months ago and it is still on back order. I am reluctant to destroy the one I intend to install on my GT500 until I know I can get a replacement. Second, my business currently sucks and I'm spending a lot more time at the office and a lot less time playing with my cars and this project will be a time eating monster.

So I am moving forward although not at a breakneck pace. Like my hood scoop, when I am finished with this project I will be happy to share the result with other Shelby GT owners. Happy holidays my good friends and all the best.

Chip

Chip,

Keep up the good work. I'm sorry your business is slow; mine is also. Are you planning to manufacture these new SGT/SC braces for sale or just share drawings. I would rather be a buyer than a fabricater; but I'll take whatever you come up with.

Thanks again, Rick Wertz SGT/SC # 0902

I don't know if you are only considering Ford parts but since you intend to modify it anyway I thought I would show you a pic of the one I'm using as it looks like it might work as well. It's a polished stainless steel one from Granatelli Motor Sports. It clears my factory intake cover and doesn't hit the hood pad.

DSC00171.jpg

I don't know if you are only considering Ford parts but since you intend to modify it anyway I thought I would show you a pic of the one I'm using as it looks like it might work as well. It's a polished stainless steel one from Granatelli Motor Sports. It clears my factory intake cover and doesn't hit the hood pad.

That's a good looking brace but it won't work with the Whipple and our stock hood. When I'm finished with this project I will come up with an incremental cost to build additional units and will make them available to the membership.

Chip

Gents, strictly in the "FWIW Department", I happened across this strut brace while looking for brake duct stuff:

http://www.agentfortyseven.com/S197/doublebarrel.html

They say it will clear plenum covers and "superchargers".....but whose and what models are left unsaid!

At any rate, there are photos, so mebbe you SC guys can guage the clearance that way.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...
Gents, strictly in the "FWIW Department", I happened across this strut brace while looking for brake duct stuff:

http://www.agentfortyseven.com/S197/doublebarrel.html

They say it will clear plenum covers and "superchargers".....but whose and what models are left unsaid!

At any rate, there are photos, so mebbe you SC guys can guage the clearance that way.

Kevin

The people at Agent 47 said it will not clear the Whipple. They are looking at making the Whipple air intake oval possibly to get it lower but no time frame as of yet. Instead of changing the bar; taking height out of the Whipple air intake. Good thinking. Wish I was a fabricator. Rick

The people at Agent 47 said it will not clear the Whipple. They are looking at making the Whipple air intake oval possibly to get it lower but no time frame as of yet. Instead of changing the bar; taking height out of the Whipple air intake. Good thinking. Wish I was a fabricator. Rick

They are correct it does not fit, this past fall I went ahead and bought it and even with prothane motor mounts which lower the engine slight it did not fit. They are good folks and took it back.

I have the utmost confidence in Chip and his abilities.

Merry Christmas,

Andrew

Archived