TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I'm Not Sure My Traction Control Works

Jolly Roger

I don't think my traction control system (TCS) works. :doh:

I can usually light up my tires pretty easily in first and second gears on dry pavement, and I can even get them to spin on the highway at 60 mph in third gear (and once in fourth) on wet pavement - all with the TCS ON!

Unfortunately we have had SO MUCH RAIN since I picked up my GT500 (clearly the two are related :hysterical: ) that I wasn't able to decide whether the TCS just wasn't up to the challenge of slowing down the wheels on wet pavement or whether the system wasn't working properly. :censored:

This past weekend, I experimented a little bit, and I didn't notice any significant differences in the wheel spin when I turned the TCS OFF.

Can you guys help? :sos:

1. Do you get wheel spin with YOUR TCS on? If so how much and how easily?

2. From this description, do you think there is something wrong with my TCS?

Thanks!

I can usually light up my tires pretty easily in first and second gears on dry pavement, and I can even get them to spin on the highway at 60 mph in third gear (and once in fourth) on wet pavement - all with the TCS ON!

Unfortunately we have had SO MUCH RAIN since I picked up my GT500 (clearly the two are related :hysterical: ) that I wasn't able to decide whether the TCS just wasn't up to the challenge of slowing down the wheels on wet pavement or whether the system wasn't working properly. :censored:

This past weekend, I experimented a little bit, and I didn't notice any significant differences in the wheel spin when I turned the TCS OFF.

Thanks!

Get on dry pavement (have it flat-bedded there :hysterical: ). Get rolling....have it in second with the TCS on. Nail it. Pay attention to the tach...see how quickly it revs and see if it'll go to the redline. Mine wouldn't. I could feel the throttle modulating. If I did the same thing with it off, it revs faster and it'll go through the redline (it didn't but I certainly knew it would).

I was just putzing around seeing what felt better....on or off, with various stages of accelleration. If I do a standing start launch, I can actually get a better time with it on than off through the quarter....but I'm not Mr Hotshoe at the dragstrip. I'm sure a lot of people would do much better with it off.

.....or maybe yours is just screwed up :wacko:

Just kidding. I'll bet it's working. A buddy of mine refers to it as Launch Control instead of Tranction Control

bj

Thanks!

Yes, I think some thing is wrong. TCS should cut the voltage to the TB until the computer senses vehcile speed and drive shaft revolutions concur with each other.

With my TCS on, I can hammer it, she spins, shuts down for a second and spins until everything equals out. Now when it goes into second, It will get sideways just a touch before the TCS takes over.

Have it looked at and let us know. I had a problem with the ABS shutting down if I left the TCS off for long periods at a time.

I'm pretty sure the TCS and launch control are seperate.

I read in an article that the launch control is basically a way to control your launch only. You hold in the clutch, get it to 3200 rpm, pop the clutch, and floor it, and the launch crontrol takes over to give you a good, smooth launch.

Well practiced drivers can do better then the launch control, but it's supposed to help us mortals.

If you want, I can dig up the magazine article that described it.

- Tony

I'm pretty sure the TCS and launch control are seperate.

I read in an article that the launch control is basically a way to control your launch only. You hold in the clutch, get it to 3200 rpm, pop the clutch, and floor it, and the launch crontrol takes over to give you a good, smooth launch.

Well practiced drivers can do better then the launch control, but it's supposed to help us mortals.

If you want, I can dig up the magazine article that described it.

- Tony

Hi Tony I'd like to see that..this mortal has a long winter to read and learn while my baby sits in the garage collecting dust!

Cheers,

Barry

It's only a short statement in a Car & Driver article

The GT500 also has a useful launch-control system that’s part of the standard traction control. To get a nearly perfect hole shot, all you have to do is rev the engine to 3200 rpm, dump the clutch, and floor it. The system automatically modulates engine power to make the driver look like Kenny Bernstein. With it, we hit 60 mph in 4.6 seconds.

The whole article is here: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11...elby-gt500.html (Compares the GT500 to a C6)

Maybe someone with a GT500 who knows how the launch control works can elaborate?

- Tony

With my TCS on, I can hammer it, she spins, shuts down for a second and spins until everything equals out. Now when it goes into second, It will get sideways just a touch before the TCS takes over.

That's what I thought should happen too. I am often able to get the tires to spin right though 1st gear, and they can spin most of the way through 2nd too with no obvious attempt by the engine to slow up the wheel spin.

Crap. :fan:

Archived