TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What to look/listen for when on a test drive??

500 Blue

I'm in the market for a GT 500 and my question is simple. When looking for a GT 500 am I better off looking for a 08 then an 07 due to the tranny issues with the 07s?

Also when test driving new/used 500's what should I listen and test for to see if it has tranny/clutch issues I have been reading about.

Any advice when looking to pick one of these? I know that just because the car is perfect in during a test drive it does not mean I won't have problems later down the road. However should I avoid purchasing one that needs TSB work?

Thanks in advance!

I'm in the market for a GT 500 and my question is simple. When looking for a GT 500 am I better off looking for a 08 then an 07 due to the tranny issues with the 07s?

Also when test driving new/used 500's what should I listen and test for to see if it has tranny/clutch issues I have been reading about.

Any advice when looking to pick one of these? I know that just because the car is perfect in during a test drive it does not mean I won't have problems later down the road. However should I avoid purchasing one that needs TSB work?

Thanks in advance!

The 07 does not have a tranny issue.

All issue are from the clutch which are in 07, 08 and early 09 so that being said they are all the same.

All those would need the TSB

Buy the one you get the best deal on.

Thanks in advance!

The 08's can have the issue as well - up until August. Just do the clutch hiss test. Park between some cars - with the door open - press the clutch to the floor. If the clutch 'hiss' continues for 3 seconds or more - that's the problem. The clutch is slow pulling away from the flywheel - it gets hungup on the input shaft.

Do yourself a big favor.

Buy a 2009 that is manufactured after August 26th 2008 if you don't want to deal with the TSB. Any 2009 after that date has all the new revised parts including the new flywheel and nickle hub clutch.

Do yourself a big favor.

Buy a 2009 that is manufactured after August 26th 2008 if you don't want to deal with the TSB. Any 2009 after that date has all the new revised parts including the new flywheel and nickle hub clutch.

Theoretically- couldn't one just install an aftermarket clutch and flywheel before the first signs of trouble and skip the TSB altogether? There are so many good deals on low mileage '08's and '07's you could still save enough money for quite a bit of mods if you were so inclined. Not that anyone on this forum has that bug or anything....

Thanks for the information. Is there anyway to check a Vech. build date by the VIN number?

Also if I find an 07-08 that is a good deal and it seems to need the clutch TSB know then what you know now would you still make the purchase or try and save the extra $$ for an 09?

Thanks again in advance!

Thanks for the information. Is there anyway to check a Vech. build date by the VIN number?

Also if I find an 07-08 that is a good deal and it seems to need the clutch TSB know then what you know now would you still make the purchase or try and save the extra $$ for an 09?

Thanks again in advance!

The price of getting a late 09 is well worth it. Some dealers will not do the TSB without a catastrophic failure and some dealers have unqualified technicians doing the TSB. Keep your blood pressure low and buy a late 09.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have read a lot of infomration on this forum and it seems Grabber is very well educated, however where did you get conformation about the build date you stated below.

Do yourself a big favor.

I'm only asking b/c I have the opportunity to purchase an 08-09 at invoice price. I'm an looking to buy one with the build date on/after what Grabber specified.

So i'm thinking if I can find the color combo I want for an 09 after the build date and buy it at invoice that a good deal>?

As I tell my wife, turn off the radio :banghead: , make sure the AC works and then turn it off and roll down the windows. Drive it like you stole it and then once you stop kill it and pop the hood. After you've checked it over crank it back up again with the hood still and and go over it again.

I have made some salesmen mad doing this. Once a salesman was overly bragging about how a Z71 Colorado handled during a test drive my wife was doing. I had her pull over and swapped places with her and then found an empty parking lot and did some "handling" testing. It failed and I do not have a Colorado and I'm not real positive he had clean underwear. :hysterical:

• 2 months later...
Do yourself a big favor.

Is Ford really tuff with this TSB, my car doesnt seem to have a problem right now but what if I brought it in for the tsb? Would they replace everything or do I need to be having the problem before they will correct it? Also someone in this thread mentioned just replacing the clutch and presure plate with and after market or updated Ford parts. That would eliminate furture problems right?

Is Ford really tuff with this TSB, my car doesnt seem to have a problem right now but what if I brought it in for the tsb? Would they replace everything or do I need to be having the problem before they will correct it? Also someone in this thread mentioned just replacing the clutch and presure plate with and after market or updated Ford parts. That would eliminate furture problems right?

You will eventually have the problem , right now & everytime you drive it you are adding to the problem .

you gotta ask yourself...cost or warranty. Its not Ford being tough, it's the dealer. If the car exhibits any of the symptoms of the tsb, take it in and have the service manger/senior tech look at it/drive it. At the least, your concerns are documented with the dealer. They wont do it as a preventive measure. Develop a good relationship with your dealer, service manager, and senior tech. Ask alot of questions. take a copy of the tsb with you, in case their not familiar. Another note is find a dealer in your area that has done this, and have been successful. Biggest issue with problems after the fact, is the dealer not having a senior tranny tech or the proper tools to do it.

Yes you could go aftermarket parts, but thats at your cost. Why, when its warranted.

Fellas, it's not as simple as getting a new flywheel and clutch and calling it a day.

Ford redesigned the input shaft also so...in order to use the newly designed flywheel and the newly designed clutch, you'll also need the newly designed input shaft. And as you know, the transmission needs to be disassembled in order to replace the old designed input shaft with the newly designed input shaft.

While the tech has your trans open, part of the recall is to replace the syncros that may/may not have been damaged.

My car is in the shop as i write this getting the full TSB performed. I'm sure it'll be fine once it's done and I guess my '08 will be worth more than the other '08s that didn't have the TSB performed...lol

Fellas, it's not as simple as getting a new flywheel and clutch and calling it a day.

Ford redesigned the input shaft also so...in order to use the newly designed flywheel and the newly designed clutch, you'll also need the newly designed input shaft. And as you know, the transmission needs to be disassembled in order to replace the old designed input shaft with the newly designed input shaft.

While the tech has your trans open, part of the recall is to replace the syncros that may/may not have been damaged.

My car is in the shop as i write this getting the full TSB performed. I'm sure it'll be fine once it's done and I guess my '08 will be worth more than the other '08s that didn't have the TSB performed...lol

+1

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have read a lot of infomration on this forum and it seems Grabber is very well educated, however where did you get conformation about the build date you stated below.

I'm only asking b/c I have the opportunity to purchase an 08-09 at invoice price. I'm an looking to buy one with the build date on/after what Grabber specified.

So i'm thinking if I can find the color combo I want for an 09 after the build date and buy it at invoice that a good deal>?

I was wondering the same thing. The last post I read stated August 19 was the changeover date. My build date was August 25, so I thought I was in the clear.

Archived