TEAM SHELBY FORUM

When you hear "step out of the car, you're going to jail"

DubbsFaris

So Im lightly accelerating out of a Best Buy parking lot last Wednesday, and as Im driving down the divided dead end road, a city cop pulls out of the next intersection and I can tell by his driving he is after yours truly...

I pulled over right away and he gets on the bullhorn and tells me to pull into the next parking lot.

I sat there waiting and he got out of his car, walked up and says-

"Get out of the car, you are going to jail. Exhibition of speed is automatic arrest, not a ticket, and you need to give me your license and insurance and step to the back of the vehicle."

Needless to say, Im a little shocked...I do as Im asked and all I can think is 'where am I gonna get someone to bail me out on Thanksgiving eve'.

After a couple of minutes he comes back and asks, "You have never had a moving violation?" as if shocked by his discovery. I told him no sir, I havent. So he tells me Im lucky and he is only going to give me a ticket for speeding. He then states that he was behind me doing 60 and I was still pulling away from him. I dont argue. There is no speed limit sign, so he asks another patrol car to drive up and down the street till he can find one. He finally comes back, and tells me the speed limit is 40...I didnt argue. I signed his stupid ticket and as he walked away, I calmly stated "Hey Officer Cook, does John Kellogg still work with yall? You should have seen the shock on his face. He turns toward the other patrol unit and yells out John's name. John steps over to me and we began talking. The other officer decided to leave at this point. John is his area Sgt., and we were neighbors for a couple years a while back. John is a stand up guy and a great neighbor. We talked about both m oving away from the old subdivision, and I told him I was sorry if I stirred up his guys. He kinda laughed and told me to not take it personally. We shook hands and I left.

For the record, he didnt radar me or pace me, as I saw him turn the sharp corner our cars couldnt do 30 around, much less his car, and I immediately pulled over. Oh, and there is no marked speed limit.

I knew I was gonna get hassled just for driving this car someday, but I sure didn't expect that reaction. It was a dead end road with no other traffic....what an ass....

Im fighting this ticket too.

So Im lightly accelerating out of a Best Buy parking lot last Wednesday, and as Im driving down the divided dead end road, a city cop pulls out of the next intersection and I can tell by his driving he is after yours truly...

I pulled over right away and he gets on the bullhorn and tells me to pull into the next parking lot.

"Get out of the car, you are going to jail. Exhibition of speed is automatic arrest, not a ticket, and you need to give me your license and insurance and step to the back of the vehicle."

Needless to say, Im a little shocked...I do as Im asked and all I can think is 'where am I gonna get someone to bail me out on Thanksgiving eve'.

After a couple of minutes he comes back and asks, "You have never had a moving violation?" as if shocked by his discovery. I told him no sir, I havent. So he tells me Im lucky and he is only going to give me a ticket for speeding. He then states that he was behind me doing 60 and I was still pulling away from him. I dont argue. There is no speed limit sign, so he asks another patrol car to drive up and down the street till he can find one. He finally comes back, and tells me the speed limit is 40...I didnt argue. I signed his stupid ticket and as he walked away, I calmly stated "Hey Officer Cook, does John Kellogg still work with yall? You should have seen the shock on his face. He turns toward the other patrol unit and yells out John's name. John steps over to me and we began talking. The other officer decided to leave at this point. John is his area Sgt., and we were neighbors for a couple years a while back. John is a stand up guy and a great neighbor. We talked about both m oving away from the old subdivision, and I told him I was sorry if I stirred up his guys. He kinda laughed and told me to not take it personally. We shook hands and I left.

For the record, he didnt radar me or pace me, as I saw him turn the sharp corner our cars couldnt do 30 around, much less his car, and I immediately pulled over. Oh, and there is no marked speed limit.

I knew I was gonna get hassled just for driving this car someday, but I sure didn't expect that reaction. It was a dead end road with no other traffic....what an ass....

Let us know how you make out.Good Luck.

Theres an OLD SAYING "DON"T MESS WITH TEXAS" us Yankees even know that.........

Didn't you get a ticket in Terlingua? I was pulled over in Alpine on the way to the event I was going 79 in a 70 he let us go and then again on the way out of Alpine after the event we were driving in the left lane he just gave us a warning ticket. The third time I got pulled over was 3 miles from my house we were coming back from a Cheech and Chong show. I had a few drinks throughout the evening but was not drunk. He pulled us over doing 65 in a 55 asked me if I had been drinking and I said yes ONE BEER so he gave me a breathalyzer while I was still sitting in the car I passed the test and he said enjoy the rest of your evening. SO far I got pulled over 3 times in the Shelby I have been let go each time. I think the cops just want to see the car and make sure that I am not up to NO GOOD.

Theres an OLD SAYING "DON"T MESS WITH TEXAS" us Yankees even know that.........

Didn't you get a ticket in Terlingua? I was pulled over on the way into Alpine on the way to the event I was going 79 in a 70 he let us go and on the way out of Alpine after the event we got pulled over driving in the left lane we just got a warning ticket. The third time I got pulled over was 3 miles from my house we were coming back from a show. I had a few drinks throughout the evening but was not drunk. He pulled us over doing 65 in a 55 asked me if I had been drinking and I said yes ONE BEER so he gave me a breathalyzer while I was still sitting in the car I passed the test and he said enjoy the rest of your evening. SO far I got pulled over 3 times in the Shelby I have been let go each time. I think the cops just want to see the car and make sure that I am not up to NO GOOD.

Chad,

Where's the Cheech & Chong pic? :headscratch:

Stuart

Wow, surely there are bigger issues for police in San Antonio than your Mustang inadvertantly going 20 over? Good luck w/ the ticket.

NO violations!, wow....wish I could say the same.

I think my teflon suit has lost its no-stick ability, after getting 8, count 'em 8 warnings over the past number of years, I've gotten 3 tickets since April, the last one, also this past holiday weekend, I was written up for 62 in a 55, It was about 8:30pm Saturday eve, so it was dark, I think he was sitting off to the side looking/waiting for drunks (being it was a holiday weekend) when I rolled pretty hard thru the gear in the Shelby (I think the exhaust note caught his attention).

Can't fight it as I was over 55, like everyone else does here in California (yea I know, just because everyone else does it, does not make it ok).

The first one in April, it did online traffic school, so it was wiped clean, the second one, I've done "trial by declaration", this is where you fight it thru the mail, still awaiting outcome, i'll just eat this one I got on the weekend.

That supercahrger whine is like a drug to me, i MUST hear it EVERYTIME i drive

Fight Fight don't give up! I had that happen to me here Olando in my 07 SGT Came off a light on to State RD 50 hit it hard, she roared to life. An unmarked sheriff pulled up next to me at a turn into the Ford dealer and said," If I had radar I would of got you." I said, Are you stopping me or harrassing me because of what?

He pulled back into traffic and left. What a ....!!!!

The car gets attention.....and I love it.

Glenn

Not sure if all States do this, but in NY, if you have a friend or relative who is a cop, they can give you a PBA Card, (Police Benevolent Association). It's kinda like a "get out of jail free" card, that you hand the cop with your licence and registration when you get pulled over. They ask you who gave you the card, you tell them, and 9 out of 10 times, they'll let you go with a warning. Its good to know people. :happy feet:

post-20530-1228325504_thumb.jpg

post-20530-1228325504_thumb.jpg

Hey Chad, That was my brother who got the park ranger ticket....(Which should have been yours by the way, you gas station stopper you) :lol:

Oh well, I did get a warning by Sheriff coming into Lahitas with a group though. (Stuart, Chuck and Matt were with me)

BTW- Cheech and Chong fan, eh? even hanging out with them...too cool!

I cant tell you how many nights Ive...oops, wrong forum :hysterical:

Breathylizer, huh....was that an herbal tester as well? :hysterical:

You are lucky he didn't know who you were hanging out with!!!

Ahhh, to be young and have no responsibilties or accountability...those were the days!

I guess you give up some useless habits when you get older for cool ones like our Shelbys! :happy feet:

Warren,

That kind of stuff happens with these cars - I got a warning for speeding 0 over 65 when I was driving my first SGT home from the dealership. Fight the ticket, in, and then laugh about it later.

Matt

A warning for Zero over? :headscratch:

Hey Chad, That was my brother who got the park ranger ticket....(Which should have been yours by the way, you gas station stopper you) :lol:

Oh well, I did get a warning by Sheriff coming into Lahitas with a group though. (Stuart, Chuck and Matt were with me)

BTW- Cheech and Chong fan, eh? even hanging out with them...too cool!

I cant tell you how many nights Ive...oops, wrong forum :hysterical:

Breathylizer, huh....was that an herbal tester as well? :hysterical:

You are lucky he didn't know who you were hanging out with!!!

Ahhh, to be young and have no responsibilties or accountability...those were the days!

I guess you give up some useless habits when you get older for cool ones like our Shelbys! :happy feet:

Warren,

You mean this stop? :hysterical::hysterical::shift:

Stuart

CIMG0457-1.jpg

CIMG0459.jpg

We got pulled over the second we crossed into Texas on our way to terlingua, in Texarkana. A total bull call-he said my license plate frame obscured what state I was from. Gave me a written warning. whatever....The guy did not even know what a shelby was, so who cares what he thinks anyway!

We got pulled over the second we crossed into Texas on our way to terlingua, in Texarkana. A total bull call-he said my license plate frame obscured what state I was from. Gave me a written warning. whatever....The guy did not even know what a shelby was, so who cares what he thinks anyway!

Hate to tell you this but the license plate frames and stuff are illegal in TX if they cover any part of the identifying marks on the plate regardless if you can read them or not. They even had a news report about how the locals were going to crack down on this. Most just still take their chances.

I will have had my SGT for a year on 12/14. I'm not goiing to say I am an angel behind the wheel :peelout: but far I have yet to be pulled over even though I figure we are all cop magnets, even sittling still. I-80 west of Salt Lake City can be a desolate road. One time I hit 90 at the top of an on ramp :burnout: and didn't back off until 125 :rockon: I couldn't help myself :shrug: after all it is a Shelby

I attribute my success to a very, very small amount of common sense about where to get on it. I think most of my luck comes from my Cobra radar detector. I don't leave home with out it turned on. It has saved me many times in town and out on the open road. Our rural speed limit is 75 but 85 seems to be the norm. After all we are the home of the Bonneville Salt Flats right along I-80.

When I took my car to the Miller Motorsports Park to be in a parade lap at the Miller Challenge Mustang races,

I forgot to remove my Cobra when our cars were on display afterwards. A UHP Trooper was more interested in my detector than my car. He wanted to know how sensitive it was, how fast I have been going when it goes off and if I have been ticketed when it did go off. All I had to say was that is works. :yup:

In that case I will bring my computer, so I can burn a copy for myself!!!

Any of you other Terlingua-ites I encourage to do the same!

I am going to give a copy of my photos to TONY, CHUCK, STUART, Sharon and Robert, Both GARY"S, Jenni, AMY and you to WARREN and if Cleo wants a copy she can have one to :drool: I am bringing my labtop and my printer I will still have to work while on vacation. :cry:

Archived