TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Brake Upgrade options

There have already been several threads on various brake upgrades for our SGTs.

Plus, the usual requirement to upgrade wheels to clear the larger brakes.

Looking for:

What is currently available

pros & cons of each upgrade

plus, solid rotors versus drilled & slotted........

especially which brake upgrade will work with our stock 18" wheels, if any

Cooling ducts

recommended or should have?

Recommendations for wheel upgrades

& tires too

For starters, here are a couple members with known brake upgrades (plus many other nice upgrades), although the details would be great from both Jim and Mac:

Jim

AP Racing brakes 6-pot front, 4-pot rear

Mac

Stillen +XD slotted and cross-drilled rotors with Stillen metal matrix pads and Goodrich SS lines all four corners. AP Ultra 5.1 fluid

Thanks!

Lg

For starters, here are a couple members with known brake upgrades (plus many other nice upgrades), although the details would be great from both Jim and Mac:

Jim

Well, the details are straight forward. I went looking for the biggest brakes this side of Griggs and the AP Racing set up Page at Stillen sold me fit the bill. It so happens I was out today doing braking tests with my car now that I feel the pads are fully bedded. I could not be more pleased with what I have. I have never experienced a set up that brought a car of this weight to a stop like this. You have to experience it to understand how hard they grab. They are expensive and a whole lot of people will not be able to justify the cost for how they drive their car. I just made a deal with myself when I sent the car to the Mod Shop for the blower -- when it got home, I was going to put some serious binders on it. Something I will not ever figure out, however, is why SAI will not do business with AP Racing. Page said that with a sale of only 25 sets, AP Racing would put "Shelby" on the calipers rather than AP Racing. Would I have liked that? You bet. Could SAI have sold 25 sets like mine? You bet. Does SAI sell a true four wheel engineered big brake kit that can do what the AP Racing set up does? Nope. Rumor has it that Mr. Shelby is real tight with Mr. Baer and that is where the resistance comes from. I have learned enough about Mr. Shelby and how he supports his friends to believe he is not going to be changing his mind anytime soon so I went ahead and bought the AP Racing set up.

Jim

Plus, the usual requirement to upgrade wheels to clear the larger brakes.

Looking for:

What is currently available

pros & cons of each upgrade

plus, solid rotors versus drilled & slotted........

espically which brake upgrade will work with our stock 18" wheels, if any

Cooling ducts

recommended or should have?

Recommendations for wheel upgrades

& tires too

Jim

Mac

Stillen +XD slotted and cross-drilled rotors with Stillen metal matrix pads and Goodrich SS lines all four corners. AP Ultra 5.1 fluid

Thanks!

Lg

If you can afford it, go with the Shelby Extreme 6-piston brakes. Find someone who has them and get a test drive and after they bounce your forehead off the window, you'll see how great these brakes are. Plus, can get caliper in multi colored options to match your car.

Wheel upgrade is always a personal choice and Shelby Wheels have many nice ones to choose from.

If racing the car slotted rotors are stronger than cross drilled ones but if doing more street driving then get the cross drilled and slotted for cooling.

GL

[/color]Mac

Thanks!

Lg

I also have the Stillen crossed-drilled and slotted rotors, pads and Goodridges ss lines with the AP Ultra 5.1 fluid (All 4 corners).

The bed-in instructions were very clear, although I felt that I needed to go a little further on the last step. You could smell them after that! It went perfectly and now that they are fully bedded in, I have absolutely no complaints! They feel half-again better than the stock set up and look a lot better. I paid around $800 total and I see Stillen (Page) has a new thread here with an offer that looks very similar. I did go to CS-69's but stayed at 18" wheels and I think the stock sized rotors are perfect.

Whichever way you go, you will like them...

I think it ultimately comes down to what you want. I think the stock size will be fine after a SC for me, but I may need 14" rotors etc... Time will tell.

rears01.jpg

blueFIA02.jpg

Dan

I also have the Stillen crossed-drilled and slotted rotors, pads and Goodridges ss lines with the AP Ultra 5.1 fluid (All 4 corners).

The bed-in instructions were very clear, although I felt that I needed to go a little further on the last step. You could smell them after that! It went perfectly and now that they are fully bedded in, I have absolutely no complaints! They feel half-again better than the stock set up and look a lot better. I paid around $800 total and I see Stillen (Page) has a new thread here with an offer that looks very similar. I did go to CS-69's but stayed at 18" wheels and I think the stock sized rotors are perfect.

Whichever way you go, you will like them...

I think it ultimately comes down to what you want. I think the stock size will be fine after a SC for me, but I may need 14" rotors etc... Time will tell.

Dan

Dan,

Just verifying that your brake upgrade would have fit with your stock wheels, but you choose to change to the CS-69 wheels, which btw are very nice

How does the current offer from Stillen (Page) differ from your setup?

Selecting the closest match of course.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37044

Thanks!

Lg

Well, the details are straight forward. I went looking for the biggest brakes this side of Griggs and the AP Racing set up Page at Stillen sold me fit the bill. It so happens I was out today doing braking tests with my car now that I feel the pads are fully bedded. I could not be more pleased with what I have. I have never experienced a set up that brought a car of this weight to a stop like this. You have to experience it to understand how hard they grab. They are expensive and a whole lot of people will not be able to justify the cost for how they drive their car. I just made a deal with myself when I sent the car to the Mod Shop for the blower -- when it got home, I was going to put some serious binders on it. Something I will not ever figure out, however, is why SAI will not do business with AP Racing. Page said that with a sale of only 25 sets, AP Racing would put "Shelby" on the calipers rather than AP Racing. Would I have liked that? You bet. Could SAI have sold 25 sets like mine? You bet. Does SAI sell a true four wheel engineered big brake kit that can do what the AP Racing set up does? Nope. Rumor has it that Mr. Shelby is real tight with Mr. Baer and that is where the resistance comes from. I have learned enough about Mr. Shelby and how he supports his friends to believe he is not going to be changing his mind anytime soon so I went ahead and bought the AP Racing set up.

Jim

Jim,

As always your posts are great with details right on point!

The AP Racing brakes would definitely be top tier choice.

Interesting inside information regarding AP Racing Vs Baer and the Shelby endorsement. That would explain why Shelby Performance Parts only has Baer brake upgrades for our SGTs.

Thanks

Lg

If you can afford it, go with the Shelby Extreme 6-piston brakes. Find someone who has them and get a test drive and after they bounce your forehead off the window, you'll see how great these brakes are. Plus, can get caliper in multi colored options to match your car.

Wheel upgrade is always a personal choice and Shelby Wheels have many nice ones to choose from.

If racing the car slotted rotors are stronger than cross drilled ones but if doing more street driving then get the cross drilled and slotted for cooling.

GL

GL,

I will start practicing for the test drive :banghead: or maybe just wear a helmet....

Seems like either the Shelby Extreme or the AP Racing 6-piston brakes would be the ultimate choices.

Agreed that the wheel upgrade is definitely a personal choice.

Call me crazy but I really like the Black wheels on the black SGT. Reminds me of the ET Mags from the late 60's

Yes, there are many nice choices in the Shelby wheels

Have also looked at the black GT500 style wheel from Ford Racing Parts.

Thanks for your input.

Lg

Shelby wheels, hope you like 20" wheels

GT500-07,

Shelby wheels are fine, but uncertain about 20" wheels.

If I go with the larger brakes, then would prefer 18" of some flavor perhaps like GT500 wheels Jim has on his SGT.

Thanks

Lg

Dan,

Just verifying that your brake upgrade would have fit with your stock wheels, but you choose to change to the CS-69 wheels, which btw are very nice

How does the current offer from Stillen (Page) differ from your setup?

Selecting the closest match of course.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37044

Thanks!

Lg

I am using the stock calipers so this will work with the stock wheels.

Pages' most recent offering (Your link) has a superior two-piece rotor. I would have went this way, but since I may upgrade to beefier calipers and 14" rotors in the future, what I have is more economical.

Mine are one-piece like these... http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37042

Even if I stay where I am, these brakes (especially the ss lines) are far superior to stock. I can only imagine how these cars stop with the big brakes like Jim has! :drool:

Hope this helps.

Dan

edit**** BTW, welcome to the site and that is one sweet ride you have there! (Proper color and everything!)

Archived