TEAM SHELBY FORUM

noisy suspension

Does anyone else have an SGT that suffers from an excessively creaky and noisy suspension? Mine groans and crunches like crazy, even crawling over the smallest of speed bumps and cracks in the road. Is there something broken in there?

Does anyone else have an SGT that suffers from an excessively creaky and noisy suspension? Mine groans and crunches like crazy, even crawling over the smallest of speed bumps and cracks in the road. Is there something broken in there?

Probably nothing broken at all, it's more than likely just the poly bushings that the FRPP kit uses to minimize flex in the mounting points. Mine creaks more in the colder weather, especially when pulling into a driveway at an angle or such that it flexes the chassis more...Poly Bushing noise is normal...you can try adding some grease zerks to the mounting points but it's easier to live with the noise sometimes...

Just posted a question about squeaking noise on general forum. I didnot know about this one. My Gt squeaks also. Brought it in for service. Was told it was bushings and that I(we) have to live with it. Wrote letter to President of SHELBY, asking if this was the case. I think eveyone that has a squeaking SHELBY GT writes a letter to AMY BOYLAN, President of SHELBY and complains. Also wouldnot hurt to write letter to consumer complaints. If enough of us do it maybe suspension would be recalled and we could get a 40k car that doesnot squeaks.

Just posted a question about squeaking noise on general forum. I didnot know about this one. My Gt squeaks also. Brought it in for service. Was told it was bushings and that I(we) have to live with it. Wrote letter to President of SHELBY, asking if this was the case. I think eveyone that has a squeaking SHELBY GT writes a letter to AMY BOYLAN, President of SHELBY and complains. Also wouldnot hurt to write letter to consumer complaints. If enough of us do it maybe suspension would be recalled and we could get a 40k car that doesnot squeaks.

I think this is a Ford issue not an SAI issue.

BTW: My car doesn't squeak.."yet".

Squeaking is just a characteristic of the car. Writing letters won't help. That is the 'price' you pay for having a Ford racing suspension on your car.I thought there was something wrong with mine also until i started hearing about others.It is a little agitating though.

It is really nothing that needs to be recalled or complained about...It is just a fact of life that the polyurethane bushings are stiffer to eliminate flex and because of that, you get some squeaks from time to time when the suspension gets put in a little bit of a bind...it's normal...especially with these bushings...as I said, you can drill the parts and put in some grease zerks to help keep them lubed up some, but they'll still squeak from time to time...if you really want to eliminate the squeaks, go back with stock suspension and rubber bushings...but your handling will go away then...I'll live with the squeaks...they don't happen all that often down here in Texas where it's a little warmer than up in the Great White North!

It is really nothing that needs to be recalled or complained about...It is just a fact of life that the polyurethane bushings are stiffer to eliminate flex and because of that, you get some squeaks from time to time when the suspension gets put in a little bit of a bind...it's normal...especially with these bushings...as I said, you can drill the parts and put in some grease zerks to help keep them lubed up some, but they'll still squeak from time to time...if you really want to eliminate the squeaks, go back with stock suspension and rubber bushings...but your handling will go away then...I'll live with the squeaks...they don't happen all that often down here in Texas where it's a little warmer than up in the Great White North!

+1, Carl, my thoughts exactly. BTW, LuLu came with Zerk fittings installed.

Gents, before you start the bitching, read page 35 of your SGT supplement. Two issues are addressed directly.

1...FRP parts are not genuine Ford parts, thus your warranty claims are handled by SAI and FRP for the special equipment installed on the SGT. The remainder of the car is covered by Ford.

2...Squeaks, rattles and harshness complaints are ineligible for warranty repair.

I had the same problem, car would squeek driving up and down the driveway. I searched on other forums and found that if you spray the bushings with WD-40 the noise would go away. I didn't really want to do it but the noise was driving me nuts so I sprayed away and now the noise is gone

• 2 weeks later...
Probably nothing broken at all, it's more than likely just the poly bushings that the FRPP kit uses to minimize flex in the mounting points. Mine creaks more in the colder weather, especially when pulling into a driveway at an angle or such that it flexes the chassis more...Poly Bushing noise is normal...you can try adding some grease zerks to the mounting points but it's easier to live with the noise sometimes...

I just picked up the FRPP kit and the zerks are pre installed. Maybe somebody was listening?

I'll be installing it this weekend.

Actually, Lincoln (and Cadillac) both make some really nice BIG cars that are really quiet, and they ride exceptionally well!

Squeeks and creeks...nature of the beast in a sports car with urethane bushings. You could always go back to stock!

• 2 weeks later...

just had my second oil change this week. and had my airbag recall fixed. i guess they fixed it without messing up the tune so thats good. also i noticed since i had it serviced there is no more suspension creaking noise. i guess they greased the poly bushings. i didnt even tell them that the suspension was making any noise.

maybe one of the techs heard it creaking or somethin when they pulled it in the garage lol. but anyway i'm glad they greased the bushings.

it only took them an hour to do the oil change, the air bag recall fix, and whatever else they did (probably checked all the other fluids and tire presure and greased a few things here and there).

only thing though is they didnt put the hood pins back on right. i think they had a lil trouble with the rings popping off the pins or somethin hehe...but i fixed it real quick and went on my way.

its a completely different car now. doesnt make a bit of noise other than the growl from the exhaust. :spiteful:

The poly bushings will naturally make more noise then the rubber ones that came from Ford. When you buy a performance car there are always trade offs you must endure. Shelby GTs are lowered, ride rougher, sound louder, etc than a stock Mustang. The more performance and handling, the more compromises to comfort. You just gotta endure and don't spill your Starbucks latte when you get on a rough road, and turn up the Sirrius radio, and let 'er rip !!!!

• 3 months later...

The lower bushings on the rear sway bar have grease fittings. However, the two middle links do not have grease fittings. On my car, it it these middle links that were sqeaking. I took the rear sway bar off (about a 20 minute job) and applied anti seize to the bar at the 4 locations where it contacts the bushings.

This has solved the problem for the moment. I do not know how long the anti seize will last.

Archived