TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What to tell the dealer about your clutch problem ?

Grabber

I have owned 2 Shelby GT500's and have loved them both. The only problem I have encountered with my beloved Hot Rods has been the clutch. The have been touchy and difficult for my wife and I to deal with and make smooth takeoffs next to impossible. After reading the unlimited problems and the time spent and on and on (with other members) I decided on my 2009 to go with an aftermarket clutch.

With the performance enhancements we chose for our Shelby I decided to install a RAM clutch and aluminum flywheel. The setup is good for 1000 or so H.P. and they are locally manufactured. This is not the route we wanted to take. After over 1000 miles on the new setup I have NO regrets. The drivability is incredible, very smooth takeoffs, It is almost impossible to mess up taking off - no special techniques that I have heard from so many others. With the mods and upgrades we have done it is the smoothest takeoff if you are gently easing into traffic or doing a wild launch type takeoff.

I really would have liked to stay stock but the time, effort, trips, arguments I have seen on T/S for the 1 and a half years convinced me that this is probably the only problem I would have with my Shelby. I am glad a lot of members have gotten satifaction with theirs.

I am not patient with the run around the dealers have been giving to Shelby owners.

Has anyone else taken this route? I guess I can always reinstall the stock clutch. I just don't think I would want to!

stock set up sucks, you did the right thing IMO

I have had it with this car

Thanks! I don't feel so bad for doing it now. I love the car - hated the clutch. Went with RAM - don't know if that is the best option but it is working great with 1000+ miles on it. I can really control takoffs with the extra power I have. Ready for some M/T's and the track maybe.

• 5 months later...

Thanks Grabber,

I have a big problem, my GT 500 was purchased in May 08. Nov 09 noticed clutch slipage, 20,000 miles. Took the car to a local dealer, they blamed me for riding the clutch changed the clutch assemby and charged me 4,200.00 canadian.

A month late saw the TSB thanks to this site, and have repeated ASKED FOR A REFUND. The dealer is being evasive, so I called my dealer that sold me the car in Leavenworth Kansas, they are prearranging the TSB work to be done, and on Friday February 26, 2010, I issued a Statement of Claim and sent it via registered mail to get my refund. The Dealer in Kansas has been very helpful, and simply said this local dealer misdiagnosed and should refund my cash.

Thanks to all who have provided info.

Thanks Grabber,

I have a big problem, my GT 500 was purchased in May 08. Nov 09 noticed clutch slipage, 20,000 miles. Took the car to a local dealer, they blamed me for riding the clutch changed the clutch assemby and charged me 4,200.00 canadian.

A month late saw the TSB thanks to this site, and have repeated ASKED FOR A REFUND. The dealer is being evasive, so I called my dealer that sold me the car in Leavenworth Kansas, they are prearranging the TSB work to be done, and on Friday February 26, 2010, I issued a Statement of Claim and sent it via registered mail to get my refund. The Dealer in Kansas has been very helpful, and simply said this local dealer misdiagnosed and should refund my cash.

I sure hope you get your money back from them. What a shame!

Here's the latest TSB info:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53664-4th-revision-the-new-revised-clutch-tsb-10-3-8/page__view__findpost__p__910167__fromsearch__1

Edited by Grabber

• 3 months later...

Third clutch currently being installed after 27,500. This one will be the new 2010-2011 kit. Really hoping this one is the ticket.

As Grabber pointed out, at the end of the day, its all about the dealer. If the dealer is a customer first type, you won't have any problem with Ford if you are experiencing any of the clutch/flywheel issues. If your dealer is the wishy-washy type, you are in trouble.

The bottom line, buy and service your car at a dealer that has integrity, a dealer that stands by their sale and most importantly, makes Ford stand by their product.

Thanks Grabber,

I didn't see anything in the TSB posted on this board regarding clutches that slip. Did I miss something?

I thought that the TSB was for clutches that did not DISengage when they were supposed to, not for clutches that did not ENgage when they are supposed to.

:headscratch:

My clutch is slipping, so if anyone knows something that can get my clutch replaced under warranty, I would be grateful for the information. :sos:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Some dealers won't touch it after 12K. Some will do it if it's under 36K.

It's a crap shoot.

Grabber. You're the guru on the Transmission thing so advice Please. I really don't want to entertain a dealer touching my car if I really don't have to. I've had bad luck with almost all of my Mustangs being damaged when taken in for work by FORD Dealers (all different ones too!).

Anyway, I have an '08 that was built in February '08 and bought in June '08. I have the "notchy" shifts from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 3rd and the car also just "barely" lurches forward when in Neutral and shifting into gear with clutch fully depressed. I have not noticed the "Hiss" after the clutch has been fully depressed (to the floor) but could be I don't have enough miles on it at 2200?

Question 1: Do I need the TSB?

Question 2: If I do need the TSB does it have to be done by June '11 (3 year drivetrain warranty up) or will my extended warranty protect that ( 5 year 75K). I only 2200 miles on it now.

Question 3: Should I just take it in and try and get a dealer to "notate" the record that it's exhibiting TSB symptoms and wait for it fail, if it ever fails in the hopes that they'll fix it when that happens?

Grabber. You're the guru on the Transmission thing so advice Please. I really don't want to entertain a dealer touching my car if I really don't have to. I've had bad luck with almost all of my Mustangs being damaged when taken in for work by FORD Dealers (all different ones too!).

Anyway, I have an '08 that was built in February '08 and bought in June '08. I have the "notchy" shifts from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 3rd and the car also just "barely" lurches forward when in Neutral and shifting into gear with clutch fully depressed. I have not noticed the "Hiss" after the clutch has been fully depressed (to the floor) but could be I don't have enough miles on it at 2200?

Question 2: If I do need the TSB does it have to be done by June '11 (3 year drivetrain warranty up) or will my extended warranty protect that ( 5 year 75K). I only 2200 miles on it now.

Question 3: Should I just take it in and try and get a dealer to "notate" the record that it's exhibiting TSB symptoms and wait for it fail, if it ever fails in the hopes that they'll fix it when that happens?

I would say you have the symptoms & need to get the TSB done , why wait till it fails some where on the road. Check around & find a dealer that has completed these repairs & then find out some of the owners names & contact & see if they were happy with the repairs done by that dealer. Why not get it fixed now well you still have warranty if anything happens you still under warranty..

Had mine done around 4,500 km & looking at my old clutch it wasn`t that bad but I did have rust on the input shaft.

... I have the "notchy" shifts from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 3rd and the car also just "barely" lurches forward when in Neutral and shifting into gear with clutch fully depressed....

This is what I had with my 08. I took my car to the dealer and demonstrated how I could roll right past the services writer's podum by simply putting it in first and taking it out of first. I had the TSB done in Oct. 2008. Now I have 12,000 miles on the new flywheel and clutch. Still a little notchy in 2nd during first 2 shifts when cold. I don't see this as a problem. Take your car in to the dealer.

I would say you have the symptoms & need to get the TSB done , why wait till it fails some where on the road. Check around & find a dealer that has completed these repairs & then find out some of the owners names & contact & see if they were happy with the repairs done by that dealer. Why not get it fixed now well you still have warranty if anything happens you still under warranty..

Had mine done around 4,500 km & looking at my old clutch it wasn`t that bad but I did have rust on the input shaft.

+1 on that. Get it done befor the 3 years is up...or it may not happen.

This is what I had with my 08. I took my car to the dealer and demonstrated how I could roll right past the services writer's podum by simply putting it in first and taking it out of first. I had the TSB done in Oct. 2008. Now I have 12,000 miles on the new flywheel and clutch. Still a little notchy in 2nd during first 2 shifts when cold. I don't see this as a problem. Take your car in to the dealer.

I agree....take it in and get it fixed now.

• 5 months later...

With the latest update to the TSB they are no longer including replacement

of the Input Shaft??????????

Did they make a change to the Clutch Plate Spline???????

Vista Ford Replaced everything . At 13,500 I was climbing Indio grade in 5th gear normally no prob. and went from 3000 rpms to redline . OOPs Metal to metal . Saw the mess after dealer removed whole shootin match . Replacement numbers are different than original . I hope this is the fix . I bought the Shelby in 2008 and it is a 2009 . Never had a failure this bad in any hipo car going back to my 68 427 that was raced and sold at 60,00 miles with original clutch .

My dealer showed Me the TSB on his comp-screen . No dispute , no poblems .He even said He was sorry , like He designed it . I love My dealer ,these Guys take care of BIZZ

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

2007, 12,326 miles... third owner... By warranty in service date I may squeak in less than 5 year power train. Clutch is =grabby in 1st gear,,, I’m not really interested in the OEM upgrade clutch and flywheel.... BUT I would like the new transmission input shaft done (and sure I'll take a new clutch and flywheel.. as part of the TSB)

But What are the chances a dealer is going to deal with me on a third owner 12k miles, just under 5 year in service car?

Think Im going to be rebuilding a transmission on my dime when i install the SPEC clutch in a few months.. that’s what I think.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I purchased an 07 Shelby GT500 almost a year ago and bought it with the best warranty package which is good till 88k miles. It was manufactured on 6/13/07. It had 1 previous owner and the car has approx 47k miles on it. Just recently I noticed my clutch slips when "I get on it". I have glanced through a lot of the forums and am slightly familiar with the issue. My questions are:

Is this a warranty covered issue at all?

Approximately what will be the cost?

What should I do at this point?

What is the best type of clutch should I replace it with if I am looking for urban/street race style of driving?

I purchased an 07 Shelby GT500 almost a year ago and bought it with the best warranty package which is good till 88k miles. It was manufactured on 6/13/07. It had 1 previous owner and the car has approx 47k miles on it. Just recently I noticed my clutch slips when "I get on it". I have glanced through a lot of the forums and am slightly familiar with the issue. My questions are:

What is the best type of clutch should I replace it with if I am looking for urban/street race style of driving?

Your warranty most likely will not cover it. Give it a try. If you fail, see the attached thread for your best recourse:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/76365-clutch-drag-tsb-4th-revision-143818-if-you-have-to-pay-for-it/page__view__findpost__p__1332922

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Grabber is there anybody i can call to have my TSB done i have 2007 shelby GT 500 orignal owner with 6,900 miles on it i have been blown off by two dealers on the repair i have the extended warrenty so i wanted it taken care of before it is up. The last dealer took my car in and i told him what is was there for i gave him your print outs and he calls me the next day and said he was not a certified SVT dealer so he could not do the repair is this a bunch of BS.Any help would be appreciated i am in long island new york.

Thanks

Richie G

Hey Grabber is there anybody i can call to have my TSB done i have 2007 shelby GT 500 orignal owner with 6,900 miles on it i have been blown off by two dealers on the repair i have the extended warrenty so i wanted it taken care of before it is up. The last dealer took my car in and i told him what is was there for i gave him your print outs and he calls me the next day and said he was not a certified SVT dealer so he could not do the repair is this a bunch of BS.Any help would be appreciated i am in long island new york.

Thanks

Richie G

Sorry I do not know who you can call to make your TSB happen. I do know that my dealer told me it would be real hard to get done after the 3 year 36K warranty was up. A few here have had the work done under the 5 year warranty....but very few. They seem to hang there hat on the clutch being a wear item. Yes I know the flywheel is still covered....but it is hard to get approved. all you can do is keep trying other dealers.

If all else fails, you may have to pay for it. If that is the case see my pricing research 2 posts above this one. It is not too terribly bad if you have to pay for it.

• 6 months later...

OK, so I posted on another tread around this topic. I have a 2007 that I got the TSB at 2.5 years into my 3/36 warranty at 5000 miles. Car was put into service on 2/4/2007. The TSB that switched out to the 2010 flywheel/clutch was posted 2/12/12, seven days after my warranty expired. Two days ago, I ran over something in the open road and a few minutes later my clutch would not dis-engage. Mile milage is at 10K miles.

What is shameful is they switched to a new TSP, basically telling everyone they have issues with the earlier equipment, but the early adoptors of the GT500 are stuck as the modification to the TSP came out after most warranties expired (2007 was 3/36 and did not have the 5/60 till 2008).

I talked to Ford care at 800-392-3673 and they said there is nothing they can do and they do not have enough complaits to create a factory recall..

In my mind, with 4 TSP changes around the same issue, they would call a factory recall, especially since they went to the 2010 flywheel on revison 4.

I encourage ANYONE that is having this issue (power of social media) call Ford and complain. They log each complaint and are audited to determine if an issue is a factory recall. Even those of you that switched out to a different flywheel/clutch assembly should call if you had any issues with the factory 07/09 parts.

Power of the people!