TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hello to All and Question on the Clutch

captchoas

I bought my 2008 GT 500 last year. Car is a joy to drive. However, I have had one issue with it, the clutch. It fried at less than 18K miles taking the flywheel with it. I do not race the car. It is my daily commute car. Is this failure normal? Can I expect to replace the clutch every year? At 4.6K dollars that will be expensive! I do love the car and the way it drives. Any assistance would be welcome.

I bought my 2008 GT 500 last year. Car is a joy to drive. However, I have had one issue with it, the clutch. It fried at less than 18K miles taking the flywheel with it. I do not race the car. It is my daily commute car. Is this failure normal? Can I expect to replace the clutch every year? At 4.6K dollars that will be expensive! I do love the car and the way it drives. Any assistance would be welcome.

Look around or search for the Clutch TSB thread posted by grabber. Ford has a fix for the problem, which starts off with warping of the flywheel, then damage to the clutch and transmission.

P.S. Welcome to the site!!!

If you want to stop having problems with your clutch then you'll need to buy a new one. Not stock ether, don't put a ceramic clutch in your car. My son learned the hard way. I told him not to put one in his car, and he did anyway. With my money. It took all of 2k miles before we had to pull it out. That was two years ago and its still going strong, now that it doesnt have a ciramic clutch anymore.. If Ford does get it right it will surprise me. If you want another one I'll sell you mine. I'm getting ready to replace everything with an auto trans. I haven't read the TSB and I'm not going to. Ford my be saying that they have a fix, but only time will tell. They did replace my trans and clutch. I haven't had any problems so far. Ive drove my car about 200 miles so far and my only problem is it grinds in third a little. But i feel like I'm walking on thin ice. The way ceramic works is, the hotter it gets the better it grabs. Is that good in this case, i don't think so.

Archived